Grilled salmon- WTF are the cals

Options
casparks13
casparks13 Posts: 18 Member
Hi! I am so confused about salmon calories. Today I went to a restaurant where the menu item was grille salmon- 10 oz. That's way too much. But I could not stop myself because it really did not seem very big at all. It seemed like it was very lightly grilled in oil. Can anyone guess how many calories this would be?

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There's variances between different species, wild caught, and farmed. According to the USDA website, 10oz raw Atlantic wild salmon would be around 409 calories. I'd add about a tablespoon or two of oil to that and say you're good to go.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You may have to look for the appropriate entry with skin on or off too
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Prob about 500 calories, assuming oil used. Probably worth adding a few pinches of salt too in order to track some sodium
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I eat wegmans farm raised atlantic salmon, and 10oz would be 550
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Salmon is a very fatty fish, so I would not necessarily assume any added oil. If it were me, I would log the raw USDA weight and be done with it.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I would log 10 oz raw, and also add a little for oil, 1-2 t, 1 T tops. If it was cooked in a lot of oil, you would know, it would be greasy and disgusting because it's an already oily fish. My 5 oz raw salmon last night was 295 cal, 18.4 fat, 28.3 protein, so basically yours was double that. Unless it was wild salmon which is much leaner. That's something you should know for logging.

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Restaurants will serve Farm Raised
    Unless otherwise stated on the menu.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Really? I don't eat much salmon, but I just assumed they'd use wild caught.

• ms_tericato
    ms_tericato Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So with all of this said what's another good fish to eat? ( not talking about tuna fish either)
  • AndrewD315
    AndrewD315 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Two days ago I had Chilean sea bass for the first time, wow its amazing. Like perch, cod and flounder as well.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    AndrewD315 wrote: »
    Two days ago I had Chilean sea bass for the first time, wow its amazing. Like perch, cod and flounder as well.

Get out of my head! How come you like the exact same kinds of fish I do?
  • AndrewD315
    AndrewD315 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Pricey here too, and not everyday type meals. Do manage to get Salmon, cod, tilapia marked down now and then.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Depends on the restaurant. Most restaurants I go to that serve salmon (where I'd order it) serve wild.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    AndrewD315 wrote: »

Hate flounder, I think because I was forced to eat it on fishing trips as a child. Only other fishes I dislike are catfish and tilapia.

Trout and salmon and halibut and tuna (not the nasty canned stuff) and arctic char and cod and perch and chilean sea bass are all delicious, as are most fish (I could go on and on).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Salmon is a very fatty fish, so I would not necessarily assume any added oil. If it were me, I would log the raw USDA weight and be done with it.

Yea, but its restaurant. ALWAYS assume added oil.

Yup.
    So with all of this said what's another good fish to eat? ( not talking about tuna fish either)

Seriously, check out a real tuna steak, grilled. I loathe canned tuna, but love tuna steak.