Body wants to be a certain size?

Options
Do you ever feel this way? Seems like my body doesn't gain weight easily after this point where I'm at (235lb), and it certainly doesn't lose weight easily..
I realize this is fairly irrational, and you'll definitely lose weight if you maintain a caloric deficit, but I'm just wondering if anyone else ever feels this way =)

Replies

• thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean, I seem to bounce back up to the same weight approx 90kg, I've gone a few kgs over but never for long. Each time I get down to 80kg I stall and slide back up again.

I was doing a online nutritional type course and one lecture was talking about your set point, the weight your body naturally fluctuates to. It also said that fat cells deflate during weight loss but it will take approx 18mths of sustained weight loss before the body actually expels the excess cells so filling them back up is easy as opposed to having to make new cells. It did also say that you can change your set point but it takes effort. Looking back I havent been able to manage the 10kg weight loss longer than a 18mth period I have usually given up and fallen into bad habits by then so for me it does hold true, although with consistent effort and catching myself I have been able to manage to hold around 85kg over the last 18mths. Currently I am just over 85kg after a 2 week holiday and a week back of gorging myself with whatever is in sight. Time to get started again:)
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I totally feel this way. I'm at a point where I haven't weighed any less than I do now since 5th grade (was an overweight kid). I maintain at 1500 cals/day or 2000 cals, and even when I stop tracking altogether. The only times I've been lighter are during stomach bugs and illness and then I bounce right back up to that hover point afterwards.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I felt that way for a long time, and even voiced it "My body just isn't meant to be lighter than **" "My body just wasn't designed to be less than a size **"...
    And truth be told, I have felt like that every time I have reached a plateau/maintained for a while... But then eventually I figure out a way to up my game, lose more weight and then I maintain at a lower weight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I also think it is a case of being harder to change habits.
    I have maintained very different weights for long periods of time as an adult. I don't believe that my body has a set point. It is just eating or burning the right amount to be that weight and I can change that. It isn't impossible for me to weigh less.
    I've been a sedentary person most of my life. My hobbies are sedentary. My lifestyle is geared toward being sedentary. It is hard to change that. I like to cook and eat. I could easily eat 2,000 or more calories every day if I wasn't logging. It is easy to eat my maintenance level or above. It is harder now that I am getting to a healthy weight and my calorie goal is lower to lose weight than when I was my highest weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in this setpoint thing. I beleive that you can maintain on any weight you want to, does it take a little more diligence to your diet to for example to maintain a certain BF%, absolutely.

I will say that I feel better and look better at a certain weight, and being a woman we may fight the hormonal issues that our bodies are designed to do in order to keep us protected in the old age of famine. That is not a myth that is fact.

Lyle McDonald explains this a whole lot better than I can
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    It's a myth. My appetite kept me at the size that I was. Period. I have realized that as I have lost weight that along with it came fewer calories to "maintain" my size....so while my maintenance levels were probably around 2300 without activity before...now 50 lbs lighter, my maintenance calories are around 1800.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Leauxra wrote: »
    Omg these feelings so much. I've lost 75 pounds and I've been stuck at 165 for a year.

My mom is 175 and a size 10/12. All 3 of her sisters are 175 and a size 10/12. My grandmother was 175 and a size 10/12 her entire life. Her mother, too. My body is fighting me at every step. It wants to be 175 and a size 10/12.

I really want to get to 145 and a size 6/8 (I have a big frame. I'm a 10 now at 165). I don't know if it's gonna happen. You can only stare at the same number so long without giving up.

I do believe in set point theory. I am at 165 pounds also and have been "stuck" there for a couple years. I want to lose the "last 10 pounds" and form a new set point. But I have to lose 10 more pounds in order to do that. It is a "catch 22" kind of situation. My body rebels and fights to stay within a couple pounds of 165.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it is more likely our habits keep us at a certain weight. The more we commit to different healthy habits, the more our physique will reflect that. That's why swimmers have a different build than mountain bikers or weigh lifters or couch potatoes.
    It's true we are fighting against homeostasis, so ever increasing effort will be needed to continue to drive change. However our bodies can only compensate to a certain degree- so it's not impossible!
    Keep pushing forward with more strenuous and varied activity. Be diligent with accurate logging of foods. And get routine check ups to ensure there are no underlying illnesses slowing your progress. You can do this!
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I only felt this way when my thyroid was out of control. I weighed 158 lbs for a few years, had a baby, and within 6 weeks got back to about 158. I tried fairly aggressive diets, intense exercise, and never went lower. I was sedentary and overate and never went higher. It was bizarre.

But absent medical issues, I think it just comes down to your habits. Not realizing what your activity level and food intake is really doing.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Leauxra wrote: »
    ...Eventually, you're going to be fighting nature. Everyone gets to a weight where if you go any farther it's not healthy. I believe that weight is different for everyone.

Not sure what I think about a set-point that occurs way before you're underweight (like my example where all the women in my family are 175), but size has such a huge genetic component, I don't think it's right to just discount that.

I do think genetics play a role. My mom weighed 109 and was 5'4". She wanted to gain weight because she was bony. My brother took after her and was a skinny kid. You couldn't even pinch any fat on his midsection. It was just about 1/4 inch of skin! I have always taken after my dad and can bulk up easily with muscles and am on the high end of normal BMI. --kinda "thick". I would love to be thin but the effort to overcome what my body tends to want is tough!