Working out on Elliptical and Treadmill

ravegee
ravegee Posts: 999 Member
So I have started my weight loss journey four days ago. I'm not satisfied with how my body looks. I hope to lose between ten-fifteen pounds. My plan is to alternate between the treadmill and elliptical every week. I also might start exercising every now and again on a stationary bike as well. I'm improving my eating habits as well and eating healthy. Does anybody have any advice to give me?

Replies

• TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    That's a good plan for cardio ... Switching up your cardio helps combat boredom, as well as providing a sort of "crosstraining" aspect to your workout. I would also add some strength training to your plan, this will help you "tone up". Sometimes otherwise "healthy looking" people who aren't happy with their bodies just need to lift some weights or do some other form of strength training to "tighten up" their bodies and improve appearance (basically, just changing body composition more so tan losing weight persay).
  • reesha35
    reesha35 Posts: 19 Member
    I do this... I alternate treadmill and elliptical every other day. I have lost 12 or 13 lbs in one month. You should be able to see that 15 pounds gone in no time! I am eating healthier and I also take a zumba and linedancing class. I love variety. Good Luck to you! :drinker:
  • ravegee
    Thank you for the advice I will be doing some strength training at the gym as well.:wink:
  • ravegee
    Thank you for the encouragement good luck to you too. I hope to see a difference in a month or two.:smile:
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Check out nerdfitness.com and jefit.com. They're good resources for beginner lifters.
  • ravegee
    I will definitely check out the websites thanks.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Those are both good cardio machines. The current wisdom is that interval training followed by steady state cardio is most effective for fat burning. I follow a program that involves doing intervals on a treadmill for 10 to 15 minutes followed by steady state work on a treadmill, elliptical, bike or just walking for 20 to 15 minutes for a total of 30 minutes. The cardio is done after strength training because you need your full strength to lift weights.
  • just calculate your intake and burned calories.
    don't eat food with more than 10g of fat per 100g (track fat everywhere !).
    train on daily basis, but don't push too hard !

I already lost once 38 kg like that, so of course you can !
  • ravegee
    Thank you guys for all the advice. I'm going to take every single bit of it into consideration and use it.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Intervals!

I do 30 secs on, 60 secs off five times and then 3mins on, 3 mins off for as long as I can manage. It's done wonders for my fitness.

(Edit: That's on the stationary bike)
  • ravegee
    After this week I'm going to be setting up routines for working out like with intervals
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    After this week I'm going to be setting up routines for working out like with intervals

I live my life 30 seconds at a time. High-intensity interval training made a huge difference for me.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Thank you guys for all the advice. I'm going to take every single bit of it into consideration and use it.

May you have success. I've been using 60/30 seconds (slow/intense) intervals mainly. Sometimes I do 30/30. It does keep the exercise from getting boring. I use an interval timer called Gymboss. In addition, there are interval timer apps you can download to a phone.
  • ravegee
    That is really cool. After working out for several days in a row and eating healthier I feel so much better. I'm happy about working out again. Maybe this time next year I can feel comfortable wearing a bikini anyway. That's what I'm hoping for. I wish you success too.
  • alibee81
    alibee81 Posts: 62
    don't eat food with more than 10g of fat per 100g (track fat everywhere !).

NO!
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    There are also some good treadmill and elliptical workouts on the web as well, so you can kind of change it up a bit.
  • ravegee
    I'll have to look into that. Thanks