PILATES

Options
2»

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    [The] term 'bulk' is highly subjective IMO and I don't care who doesn't like that statement because I know what my body does. If I do a gym workout, use weights (even small ones) I pack on muscle which doesn't suit me, some people look fabulous building muscle - I however don't.

For some reason, there's a lot of resistance on MFP to the idea that weights do make (some) women bigger and that not everyone likes the look.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Pilates emphasizes small, precise movements. I like the machines, particularly the Cadillac machine, more than the mat exercises. When I win Lotto I will definitely buy one. :smile:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    [The] term 'bulk' is highly subjective IMO and I don't care who doesn't like that statement because I know what my body does. If I do a gym workout, use weights (even small ones) I pack on muscle which doesn't suit me, some people look fabulous building muscle - I however don't.

For some reason, there's a lot of resistance on MFP to the idea that weights do make (some) women bigger and that not everyone likes the look.

And to the idea that weights are not for everyone...I understand that people believe the only way to tone up/change body fat % is to do weights...

All I can say is one solid week of being consistent with doing pilates has made more of a change in my shape and tone than a week of doing weights...I think I'll be sticking with Pilates. At least I enjoy it... (To me, weights are boring as sin.)
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options

And to the idea that weights are not for everyone...I understand that people believe the only way to tone up/change body fat % is to do weights...

All I can say is one solid week of being consistent with doing pilates has made more of a change in my shape and tone than a week of doing weights...I think I'll be sticking with Pilates. At least I enjoy it... (To me, weights are boring as sin.)

It's not even that I don't like the look, some women look fabulous all muscled up. But it just doesn't suit my frame or shape. I'm 4'11 with a very small frame and I only have to look at weights to muscle, so I very quickly get hideously huge. All that 'women can't bulk' stuff has to be subjective because I can massively increase the size of my muscles in a relatively short space of time. Increase in size = bulk as I understand it.

The only way for SOME people may be to do weights, but the ONLY way which works for me (joint problems too) in a way which also suits me is Pilates. Plus I just feel so energised, loose and relaxed after all those great stretches.

I'm a massive Suzanne Bowen fan, I love the lean-ness and precision of her workouts.
  • MSeel1984
    Options

It's not even that I don't like the look, some women look fabulous all muscled up. But it just doesn't suit my frame or shape. I'm 4'11 with a very small frame and I only have to look at weights to muscle, so I very quickly get hideously huge. All that 'women can't bulk' stuff has to be subjective because I can massively increase the size of my muscles in a relatively short space of time. Increase in size = bulk as I understand it.

The only way for SOME people may be to do weights, but the ONLY way which works for me (joint problems too) in a way which also suits me is Pilates. Plus I just feel so energised, loose and relaxed after all those great stretches.

I'm a massive Suzanne Bowen fan, I love the lean-ness and precision of her workouts.

I'm a Mari Windsor person, but only because those are the only dvd's I have. I'm definitely
    going to try that blog.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Love pilates! I go to a studio twice a week and it has done wonders for my neck/back tension, helps me with my form and posture when I'm lifting, and is great for the core/butt! I find it a great balance with lifting - decompress and tone/lengthen. I strongly suggest it to anyone - dvds or going to a studio. I'm hooked :)
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Love pilates! I go to a studio twice a week and it has done wonders for my neck/back tension, helps me with my form and posture when I'm lifting, and is great for the core/butt! I find it a great balance with lifting - decompress and tone/lengthen. I strongly suggest it to anyone - dvds or going to a studio. I'm hooked :)

I've been more into it over the past week or two since my husband has been out of town-been trying to do more exercises at home since I have to be here for my two dogs...since I've been more faithful/consistent over the past two weeks, I'm beginning to see a change in my body-and definitely for the better!