Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cell phone impact on Health.

13»

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    Gale, with all due respect, I'm really hesitant to click on any of the links you've posted lately.

You should really sit back and give some honest and logical thought to these arricles before posting the links..

Why you say that? What is it about the $25 million dollar USA study that makes you state that? You do not have like it or believe it. I am aware not all are interesting the science behind understanding the increase in brain cancer. I have a 40 year old friend with this type of cancer. He was told they see it most often in farmers and from cell phone usage. That is why this $25 million dollar study caught my attention. The validity of this subject will be come clear with time. If it is just an age related thing we will not see more cancer in 20 to 30 age group do the road is my guess on the subject.

High dollar amounts do not equal unbiased studies.

While it is a shame that your friend has been afflicted with cancer, there is not one shred of evidence pointing to cell phone usage as the cause. How many other environmental or genetic influences could be the source? Countless.

I had never heard of the website in the OP until now, but after looking at it, it appears to be nothing more than a tin-foil hat, scare inducing, agenda driven piece of gutter journalism. I have stood in front of radiating cellular antennas for hours at a time, and have worked closely with others over the same time frame who are unaffected.

So I ask you this - why is it that tens of thousands of professionals (there are over 28,000 tower climbers in America alone) have not seen the same effects as the n=1 story of your friend?

The only person I have known who was diagnosed with cancer that may have been cellular related was a bench technician who opened a mislabeled repair port on an RF filter and was exposed to cadmium.

Funny how people who fall into the traps these studies set are the same who refuse to believe cellular radiation, aside from modulation schemes, is no different than TV, AM/FM, HAM radio, CB, infrared, GPS, WiFi, baby monitors, cordless home phones and garage door openers.

Another great post!

Regarding your last paragraph, there are plenty of people who believe it's all bad. Some of them move to isolated places, even to small foreign countries, in order to live completely off the grid in a quest to live as extend their lives as long as possible.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    What's next Gale, an article from the Weekly World News?

Have you heard about The Pentaverate?

Edit:

This cover left me scarred for life:

coverbatboy.jpg

Bates Boy bears an eerie resemblance to McCauley Culkin.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Gale, with all due respect, I'm really hesitant to click on any of the links you've posted lately.

You should really sit back and give some honest and logical thought to these arricles before posting the links..

Why you say that? What is it about the $25 million dollar USA study that makes you state that? You do not have like it or believe it. I am aware not all are interesting the science behind understanding the increase in brain cancer. I have a 40 year old friend with this type of cancer. He was told they see it most often in farmers and from cell phone usage. That is why this $25 million dollar study caught my attention. The validity of this subject will be come clear with time. If it is just an age related thing we will not see more cancer in 20 to 30 age group do the road is my guess on the subject.

While it is a shame that your friend has been afflicted with cancer, there is not one shred of evidence pointing to cell phone usage as the cause. How many other environmental or genetic influences could be the source? Countless.

I had never heard of the website in the OP until now, but after looking at it, it appears to be nothing more than a tin-foil hat, scare inducing, agenda driven piece of gutter journalism. I have stood in front of radiating cellular antennas for hours at a time, and have worked closely with others over the same time frame who are unaffected.

So I ask you this - why is it that tens of thousands of professionals (there are over 28,000 tower climbers in America alone) have not seen the same effects as the n=1 story of your friend?

The only person I have known who was diagnosed with cancer that may have been cellular related was a bench technician who opened a mislabeled repair port on an RF filter and was exposed to cadmium.

Funny how people who fall into the traps these studies set are the same who refuse to believe cellular radiation, aside from modulation schemes, is no different than TV, AM/FM, HAM radio, CB, infrared, GPS, WiFi, baby monitors, cordless home phones and garage door openers.

Another great post!

Regarding your last paragraph, there are plenty of people who believe it's all bad. Some of them move to isolated places, even to small foreign countries, in order to live completely off the grid in a quest to live as extend their lives as long as possible.

I've considered going off the grid, but not for these reasons.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    True story -

About 5 years ago I was contracted to troubleshoot RF interference at various sites in Chicago for one of the major carriers (think blue deathstar). One site was on the roof of a 6 story condo on the near west side. I went up and was looking at the equipment and anything in the direction of the antennas that may be causing the problem. Nothing.

I get the ol' spectrum analyzer out and start walking the hallways of the building and BAM! There it was. Unit 502. Sometimes we find people who have an appliance that is malfunctioning and emitting some stray EMF in the same frequency the site is transmitting. Ok, so I knock on the door. What happened next will never leave me.

A guy opens the door, just a crack, and asks for a password. Huh? Really? F this I say, and I started explaining the situation and how I'd just like to talk to him. Keep in mind I'm carrying an antenna wired to a backpack, looking all ghostbusters. Long story short this guy was bat *kitten* crazy. He had an old Sony TV, tube style, tuned into an unused station so only static was showing. He had tin foil covering his windows and wire coat hangers hung randomly in his unit. He told me he had to keep the coat hangers up to absorb the waves the government was sending into his apartment, and the TV was on static because that was the only way to keep the people inside. Keep the people inside. KEEP THE *kitten* PEOPLE INSIDE!!! He thought the people on the TV screen were real and would escape to take him to a government run concentration camp. I high tailed it out of there and called my customer to tell them.

Simple fix to these types of things is to pay for a replacement appliance in good working order, but this guy wasn't having it. We had to explain to him that a new TV would keep the people inside because it was so skinny they wouldn't have enough room to squeeze through any escape point. Dude got convinced, TV got replaced, interference stopped. I got paid and never returned to that street.

Wowsas, I thought people like this only existed in whacked out movies!!
  • JaneSnowe
    I'm loving the illogical thought process there. He couldn't just get rid of the TV to be free of the "people", he had to keep it in his room showing only static.

Actually, now that I've typed that all out I feel so sorry for him. :'(
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Don't you love people that deny the radiation from cell phones UNTIL they themselves start feeling sick and are diagnosed... hmmm?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    I'm loving the illogical thought process there. He couldn't just get rid of the TV to be free of the "people", he had to keep it in his room showing only static.

Actually, now that I've typed that all out I feel so sorry for him. :'(

I do, too. He sounds like a headline in the making. :(
  • JaneSnowe
    Don't you love people that deny the radiation from cell phones UNTIL they themselves start feeling sick and are diagnosed... hmmm?

Totally off topic--I think your avatar is beautiful.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    True story -

About 5 years ago I was contracted to troubleshoot RF interference at various sites in Chicago for one of the major carriers (think blue deathstar). One site was on the roof of a 6 story condo on the near west side. I went up and was looking at the equipment and anything in the direction of the antennas that may be causing the problem. Nothing.

I get the ol' spectrum analyzer out and start walking the hallways of the building and BAM! There it was. Unit 502. Sometimes we find people who have an appliance that is malfunctioning and emitting some stray EMF in the same frequency the site is transmitting. Ok, so I knock on the door. What happened next will never leave me.

A guy opens the door, just a crack, and asks for a password. Huh? Really? F this I say, and I started explaining the situation and how I'd just like to talk to him. Keep in mind I'm carrying an antenna wired to a backpack, looking all ghostbusters. Long story short this guy was bat *kitten* crazy. He had an old Sony TV, tube style, tuned into an unused station so only static was showing. He had tin foil covering his windows and wire coat hangers hung randomly in his unit. He told me he had to keep the coat hangers up to absorb the waves the government was sending into his apartment, and the TV was on static because that was the only way to keep the people inside. Keep the people inside. KEEP THE *kitten* PEOPLE INSIDE!!! He thought the people on the TV screen were real and would escape to take him to a government run concentration camp. I high tailed it out of there and called my customer to tell them.

Simple fix to these types of things is to pay for a replacement appliance in good working order, but this guy wasn't having it. We had to explain to him that a new TV would keep the people inside because it was so skinny they wouldn't have enough room to squeeze through any escape point. Dude got convinced, TV got replaced, interference stopped. I got paid and never returned to that street.

Wow.

Since I'm in Chicago (although not the near west side), I'm dying to know the address, but won't ask.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Such junk science. Breast cancer occurs in the out side of the breast because of that is where the majority of the mik ducts are. The number 2 spot is behind the nipple. Ductal cancer is the most common type of breast cancer. The 3 biggest things that raise your risk (not cause) is obesity, smoking and inactivity. This does not make the news however because it is not headline grabbing
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member

Another great post!

Do they really Jane?
  • JaneSnowe
    Gamliela wrote: »

Another great post!

Do they really Jane?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but where I live there's a small isolated town being overrun by them. So yes, they really do.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

People take issue with this and other articles posted because you don't seem concerned at all about the lack of scientific rigor used in the studies and the way the information is presented. You find articles which support your view of the world and when challenged on them claim that science hasn't caught up to what you or the author knows to be true.

I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's cancer diagnosis but unfortunately cancer is a multi factorial disease which very likely does not have a single cause. Maybe spend some time helping research ways to help your friend during his battle with this disease (meals for the family, help around the house, etc) rather than looking for scary articles to post here to try to convince MFP users of the evils of cell phones.

I expect this kind of research will continue as long as their grant writers get funded. Even today very little is understood about cancer and ever less about the human body in general. The articles in the press that I post have little to do with my views. Today there is no research that states cell phone will or will not cause cancer and there will be none in our lifetimes I expect. We all can live in the same environment yet have it to impact each of us differently. People were saying smoking increased health risk before the US government made it a "legal" fact.

When it comes to cell phone usage it is only going to increase i expect as all EMF sources increase.

niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/emf/