New to the site and embarrassed to even try

Options

Replies

• meowmisu
    meowmisu Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    One of my friends has the motto that "Sweat is fat crying!" Sweating is much better than not sweating. You have to cool down somehow.

Love this!!
  • mlnice
    mlnice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    dont be embarrassed at all no one starts out looking great when they go to the gym but if you keep at it and use this app you will begin to see the changes. it is very important to utilize this app daily so that you can see how and what you are eating and make changes from there. I love this app it has helped me tremedously. You will like it and who cares what others think long as you are doing what makes you happy and will help create the change you want thats all that matters.
  • Ann_Marie_2x_MORE
    Ann_Marie_2x_MORE Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, there are a lot of people just like you. Does your gym have a pool, the water aerobics classes at my gym all have "bigger" people, and our bodies are all underwater so no-one can watch us jiggle like jello.

At 244 pounds, I feel like a jello commercial working out... "Watch it giggle, see it wiggle"
  • valerieclemens1
    valerieclemens1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi , im new on here, but as ansmith76001 said don't get discouraged, i joined gym 2 years ago and worried that everyone would stare, but no one really took any notice, and remember you are doing it for yourself, if you didn't sweat then you wouldn't be working hard enough, swallow the embarrassment and go for it, in a few weeks you will be wandering why you worried and feeling fitter.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym, which I just resumed doing, my focus is getting in my workout and leaving. When I see very overweight people I think it's great they're there. If I happen to catch someone's eye we smile because we both know that we're doing a good thing to be at the gym. I would imagine that most people who don't need to lose weight have similar thoughts about overweight members.

Incidentally, many people (or maybe it's primarily women) feel grungy at the gym. It's one of the reasons I'm not as consistent as I should be. I've been trying to go early in the morning so I can get it over with and shower just once. I'm trying to train myself to concentrate on my workout and not on whether I feel or look gross and sweaty.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Seriously, whenever I see an overweight person out running or in the gym, my first thought is "Way to go!". I know (because I have been there) that it takes a lot of guts to go out on your first run, or to visit the gym for the first time, and it's even harder to keep it up.
  • Lind5ay90
    Lind5ay90 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrased! I look psychotic when I go running. That's why I go at night when it's dark...and hopefully a lot of people won't be around. My face gets SUPER red when I workout and I sweat easily.
    Whatever...to everyone who laughs or judges, at least we're getting off of our bums and getting out there and doing it!
  • Ivonnegarza1980
    Options
    When I work out I look gross and sweaty and I am so afraid to have people stare at me. My tummy prevents me from yoga poses and other things I would like to do. The feel of my own body jumping around bothers me. My feet problems and Achilles tendinitis make even walking a challenge. It's discouraging.

:( please don't beat yourself up like that. Congrats on even making the attempt to get active. Don't stop keep going you will see a change if you stick to it. If you need a buddy to push you feel free to add me I will be more than happy to motivate you
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    This little blurb has helped me immeasurably...and remember that what people think of you, is none of your business :smooched:

"Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the

running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy.

You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make

you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops

on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so

much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes

at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You

never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the

reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is

tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a

brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will

far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face

your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this

physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult

decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take

is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so

slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were

in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is

stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is

possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and

put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that

the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so

inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people,

know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so

many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health,

“starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from

deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are

relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and

you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe

tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will

not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a

new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you."
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Do not feel gross or miserable or fat or WHATEVER! You are beautiful. This is about a journey that you are going to make to better yourself. Do not be embarrassed. Everyone has to start somewhere and no one is going to laugh at you for trying. If you think you look fat while working out, think of all the other people who are sitting on the couch eating potato chips getting fatter!

NO MATTER HOW SLOW YOU GO, YOUR ALWAYS LAPPING EVERYBODY THAT IS ON THE COUCH!
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to start working out in the privacy of your own home then you won't have any excuses to not exercise!
    Some of the best DVD workouts out there are from Jillian Michaels! Try the 30 Day Shred, pretty intensive but within a month you should lose a lot of inches and maybe motivate you to do more and eventually hit a gym :D

good luck
  • welshboy22
    welshboy22 Posts: 20
    Options
    Now girl, don't be embarrassed or feel gross as you are doing something to address your weight issue. I sweat like a pig every time I workout, and have a pool of sweat when doing cardio. BUT, I'm moving my ar*e as you are, so keep it up. If you need support add me as friend.
  • HulaHawaiiGirl69
    HulaHawaiiGirl69 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Aloha,

We all have hangups, fears and challenges and thats what we are here for, to keep each other going, Feel free to add me.

45780886.png
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Now girl, don't be embarrassed or feel gross as you are doing something to address your weight issue. I sweat like a pig every time I workout, and have a pool of sweat when doing cardio. BUT, I'm moving my ar*e as you are, so keep it up. If you need support add me as friend.

My thoughts exactly! Be proud of yourself. You are moving while others are lying on their couch!

After my workouts I'm soaking wet. Sweat comes out of pores I didnt realize I had . It doesn't bother me anymore. At the end of the day, I'm fitter than alot of skinny people, because of the work I'm putting in. And you will soon be there too.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I really hate the gym. I know it's my own self-consciousness and not what other people are really doing and thinking, but I feel like people are staring at me and thinking about how fat I am. So I started using workout videos...in particular 30 Day Shred, and now only my cats stare at me while I workout.

So what I guess I am saying is that if you are uncomfortable exercising in front of people, don't. Find something you can do alone until you build a little more self-confidence (which you will.)
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Do not be embarrassed. People who are serious about working out will commend you for looking awful and sweaty after a workout - you actually went there and did work (as opposed to the people who go to the gym and sort of flit around without actually working).

At my gym, there's people of all shapes and sizes - huge bodybuilders, thin runners, and fatties like me (yes, I'm a fatty - and while I'm not perfectly ok with it, I'm embracing the term to help me get my health in gear). No one stares when I sweat, unless they're asking my what cardio setting I used or how much I'm lifting. They're proud. They know I'm doing hard work and they support me in it.

You're supposed to sweat and look bad at the end of the gym - trust me, no one will say anything.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    We all start somewhere and many of those people staring have probably been where you are don't feel gross you are way ahead of anyone sitting on their fat *kitten* at home watching TV you go girl
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm always way more impressed by the people that are killing it over the skinny girls that are there for the 100th time and don't smudge their mascara.

If it's really not going to work, then try doing the 30 day shred at home, it's a great workout and really made me feel empowered to start other things again. I'm now 5 lbs from a healthy bmi and about to run my first 5k. It takes time and determination, but really, any time you spend getting healthier is less time you are spending being unhealthy.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Don't let embarrassment hold you back. I was so afraid to go to the gym at first. I was just sure everyone would be staring at the fat girl. They didn't. All I ever get from the people at the gym is encouragement. I recommend a smaller, locally owned gym if there is one in your area because I find that because the aren't part of a huge chain, they rely on word of mouth to keep them going and so the customer service is excellent.

Also don't let the way your body feels when you exercise hold you back. Yes, it jiggles and bounces now, but that won't change unless you do something about it. I am amazed when I notice my butt doesn't jiggle anymore - it's an awesome feeling and worth every drop of sweat I've dripped to get here!

A good yoga instructor will help you get to the point where you can do the poses, and will help you find poses that you can do in your current shape.

You CAN and SHOULD do this! Stop finding excuses and start moving into your new body!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    There is no need to be embraced! My tummy was in the way a lot!!! when I started too, I just went as far as it would let me, and now I can even fold my leg up in the chair as I sit! No one looks at you at the gym that way. You are suppose to be a hot mess when your done. I know when I see people with the pool of sweat under them I am envious of their good workout. It takes one step to start, and two to keep going! You can over come any obstacle, if your willing to! I have a shirt my friend gave me that makes total sense, and has become my motto, "Train like a Beast, To look like a Beauty"