I really want to run alone but....

Options
kmaf2016
kmaf2016 Posts: 51 Member
I just dont have the courage :-( I run with my husband on Monday and Friday nights but tonight he isn't able to run so it means I cant go because I cant bring myself to do it byself, its more of a self conscious thing as we run on pavements with main roads next to them...Im sat here trying to picture myself running on my own and it fills me with dread haha.

Replies

• Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Why don't you start out walking alone - in your running gear - until you get comfortable going through the routine. At some point you'll probably be comfortable enpugh to break into a run. Also, think of it this way, you're getting fewer looks than you would if you were walking theough a shopping mall.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Get dressed for running and go for a walk. Just getting out there may give you the confidence to run on your own. If not, at least you got a walk in.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    if it is safe, I would encourage you to walk..it is your walk, not anyone's else (or do another type of exercise)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Did u always stare at runners & judge them? Neither does anyone else. They are prob admiring you & envying you, if anything.
  • ssakcik
    ssakcik Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I started running 8 weeks ago. I'm not at all fast or super slim lol. I just put my music on, head phone in and look at the road ahead. If another runner comes past or someone walking their dog I give them a quick smile and carry on my merry way.
  • paymentm
    paymentm Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Can you drive to a more secluded area and then go for a run? I'm in the same boat as you with the uncomfortableness but since I live on the outskirts of town I only have to deal with 1 or 2 people seeing me run :tongue:
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    "You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."
  • ReadingCat
    ReadingCat Posts: 13 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It took me a while to be comfortable and I am very out of shape and got passed by walkers when I first started jogging, but now I don't even think about it. Like they say, Just Do It
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    No one is watching you.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    This thread is the same as the people who dread going to the gym the first time...I get it because I was nervous the first time I went to the gym. Nobody cared. Nobody noticed. After the first time it was much easier.

To borrow the words of Nike ... Just do it

And then report back because I want to hear how it went.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Well what do you do while you run?

Something i do while working out is listening to audio books on audible, doing an activity like zombies, run!, or listening to my jams. These get my mind off of other people, focused, and everything else kind of fades away. You might want to try that. It's hard to think about what other people are doing or thinking about you when you're halfway through a steamy book. ;)
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Wait... I read your post to be about running next to the main road and getting hit by a car, not being afraid of what people think. Which is it OP?
    I pick my biking or running routes carefully because I'm afraid of getting hit by cars! Too many close calls with cars keep me on certain streets. I totally envy bikers or runners I see who are just sharing the road fearlessly.
    Seeing a car drifting toward me and the driver's head looking down obviously looking at their phone sends me scampering off into ditches, woods, anywhere but the road.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    These questions are so frequent in beginning to wonder how anyone makes it out of the house ever.

If you can leave the house alone to go to the store, surely you can leave the house and get there a bit faster? Seriously, no one is paying attention to you, and even if they are, what does that actually mean?

Are they putting you on a list of 'people I'd like to maim/kill/chop into tiny pieces/feed to the pigs/put the lotion on the skin?
    Or the list of 'weirdo thinking they can run whereas really they're some fat blubber making odd body movements?'
    Or the 'wow, I wish I had the guts/motivation/initiative/balls/cojones/foresight' to go for a run round the neighbourhood?

Really. What anyone else think is their business and their business only. Forget trying to hide from them. Wear a cap/earphones/Chewbacca mask/your smile and just do want the hell you want to do, smile at others as you pass them, be polite and GET ON WITH IT!!!
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    I just dont have the courage :-( I run with my husband on Monday and Friday nights but tonight he isn't able to run so it means I cant go because I cant bring myself to do it byself, its more of a self conscious thing as we run on pavements with main roads next to them...Im sat here trying to picture myself running on my own and it fills me with dread haha.

Just suck it up and do it you're an adult for the love of God!
    I hope that wasn't to harsh
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I got spotted by colleagues running, including one who was concerned I shouldn't be killing myself to try to get to work on time... So I clearly looked worse than I thought
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am like this too. Luckily my town has a great bike path with nothing but runners and people exercising. It's well lit and well travelled. I'm too scared to run on sidewalks and don't like people to see me. I'd rather do a video than run alone in a city. That's ok cause if I dread the exercise I procrastinate. I just do things I like and look forward to.