How do YOU make it through the weekend?

As with most of the population weekends are difficult for me, as well as after work because I work a rotating shift my eating and sleeping changes every 2 weeks. Tips for staying in bounds with all the events during the summer and a changing routine?

Replies

• dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Planning makes weekends easier for me. I usually know what is for every meal over the weekend (unless going to a party, BBQ, etc.). If dinner is going to be high calorie, I try to make up for it by having lo cal breakfast or lunch. If I want a piece of cheesecake for dessert, that means a light dinner. If you don't know what is for dinner than how do you know what you can eat for lunch? Admittedly, my wife is probably tired of going to chain restaurants (they have nutrition info), but I'm getting better about that.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I'm a sahm, so weekends and summer aren't much different for me than the rest of the time, except two of my kids will be home during the day now. The only "communal" meal we really ever have is dinner (everyone gets something different for breakfast and lunch, often at different times), so them being home won't change my eating habits. There are more bbqs and get togethers, but I find most of the time there are plenty of options that suit my needs (I eat LCHF, so I love the grilling season!). I find the holiday season harder to navigate, but even that isn't bad so long as I plan for those occasional indulgences.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I eat significantly less during the week so I can consume significantly more on the weekends.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    I meal prep... I work 10a-10p on the weekends both Saturday and Sunday. I pack low calorie grazing snacks and meals with a high protein and fat content but lower calorie (under 300 usually). My fridge always has a low calorie meal ready to be eaten
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Long hike one day with my girlfriend, a long solo bike ride the other day. It's fun, makes weight loss easy, cures my cabin fever, and my life is way more fulfilling because of it.
  • Nova_88
    Nova_88 Posts: 42 Member
    I try to keep myself busy that way I don't think about getting an extra snack.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    this is going to be my first weekend since i started my "diet" program. i am a bit nervous!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    I make sure to plan ahead. If I know I'll be having a large dinner (we sometimes do pizza on Saturday nights), I'll have a light breakfast and lunch. I also usually take my long walk/run on Sundays, so plenty of calories burned.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Planning.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    LisaKay91 wrote: »
    I meal prep... I work 10a-10p on the weekends both Saturday and Sunday. I pack low calorie grazing snacks and meals with a high protein and fat content but lower calorie (under 300 usually). My fridge always has a low calorie meal ready to be eaten

That is the key. I prepare ahead so when I'm starving it is waiting for me. I will cook ahead too so I can heat it quickly. Often I will cook a bunch of chicken and slice into potions and freeze in zipper bags. I have a small crock pot and will put veggies in it, cook until tender, and then add canned soup or stew into it and heat.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    I stay busy if I watch TV for too long I will want to do some serious munching.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    I'm trying a new approach this time. I'm aiming to lose 1lb a week, but I have my goals set to 1.5 - so my calorie goal for each day is 250 cal lower than it "needs" to be, meaning I have calories in hand so I can go over if I want to, and I'm monitoring the weekly average to check it stays below the figure for 1lb a week.

This seems complicated when I write it down, but it really isn't. It seems easier for me than just trying to keep calories in hand with a higher goal - I react to the number turning red, if it's green I feel the calories are "mine!" and want to eat them RIGHT NOW!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,828 Member
    Weekends are great!!

On weekends, I exercise a whole lot more and so I can eat more. Today, for example, my husband and I cycled 50 km ... and so we had pizza for dinner. :):)
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    I usually eat less on weekends than during the week, because on weekends I do things that are fun and distracting and I don't think about food between meals.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Despite the busy weekends, I plan, plan, plan. My most effective plan to date is treating the weekends the same as Mon - Fri.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    pre track!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Planning and staying within my calorie goals. I don't use "the weekend" as an excuse to eat whatever I want. If you stay consistent, you'll see results. I know that if I give myself a "pass" every weekend, I'll get nowhere, I'll get frustrated, and I'll quit. Is that what I want? No way.

Weight loss isn't even about what you eat. It's about the mind, the attitude, the commitment. Whenever you're faced with a choice (do I eat the cake or not? should I have those drinks?), you have to have an arsenal of positive, helping thoughts to get you through it.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    I kind of let weekends go with the flow. I exercise Saturday morning, so that gives me a 500ish buffer. If I want pizza, I'll eat it. Chocolate? Sure.

What I have found though is that since I have overhauled my lifestyle that I don't want to indulge in a binge. I will want crappy foods, but they still end up in my calorie goal.

I don't sweat it on the weekends. If I go over, Ah well. My deficit during the week will more than make up for it anyway.