Should I be discouraged after 4 weeks?

Options

Replies

• bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Things will kick in for you again soon. Your body is adjusting. When you reach a plateau it's important to decrease or add a few calories to get your metabolism burning again.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be discouraged what you did is unbelievable. What you have to remember is you're changing your lifestyle. In the same way you didn't put on all that weight in a couple months it probably took years, you're not going to lose all that weight in a couple months either.

Remember this is a long journey it's not a Sprint to get some quick results. you'll start seeing results before you know it. just to let you know in advance it won't happen every month. you'll have some months where you'll lose less.

My best advice to you is don't look at this as a diet. Diets don't work. Have to look at this as a lifestyle change used this website/app as a learning tool and also as a support network. Joining MSP has helped me greatly it's really educated me more than anything else. Good luck on your journey
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Never get discouraged, onward and upward! Possibly adjust your strategies and tactics a little along the way.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In what world is 14 lbs. no results?

Keep up whatever you're doing. Two years from now you'll reread this thread and want to smack your 2016 self because by that point it will take 3+ months to lose 14 lbs.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    How long does it take to start seeing results? I have been doing a low calorie diet, and walking 2-3 miles a day for 4 weeks? I have lost close to 14 lbs. but I am seeing no results whatsoever! Maybe because I have at least 100 lbs to lose, but I am getting discouraged. I am wondering how long it should take for me and others to start seeing results? Thanks!!!

The 14 lbs is your results, and fantastic results too!
    Keep doing what you're doing, and before you know it you'll be complaining about losing the last 10 lbs and how it only comes off 1/2 lb a week, if even that!! Keep going!!
  • Katwin2013
    Katwin2013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    14 pounds in 3 weeks Wow way to go You are probably just very judgmental of yourself I bet there are friend of yours that already notice but just do not know what to say until you look in the mirror and notice that change you want ask yourself how you feel Do you feel different can you do more that you could in the past It is hard when ever you have a long journey to take You keep saying am i there yet but think about any vacation you have taken that took some time to get to when you finally got there it was all worth it Don't ever give up because you do this for you
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    How long does it take to start seeing results? I have been doing a low calorie diet, and walking 2-3 miles a day for 4 weeks? I have lost close to 14 lbs. but I am seeing no results whatsoever! Maybe because I have at least 100 lbs to lose, but I am getting discouraged. I am wondering how long it should take for me and others to start seeing results? Thanks!!!

Just to repeat: You lost 14 lbs in 4 weeks. That is great progress and nothing to be discouraged about.
    Adjust your expectations. You really shouldn't be aiming for more than 2 lbs a week right now. Rapid weight loss is not sustainable healthy weight loss. It will take time to lose 100 lbs in a healthy way... probably 6 months for the first 50-60 lbs and maybe a year or 2 for the last 50 lbs depending on your diligence and accuracy. You have to look at this long term.
    It might take 20-30 lbs to see a change in clothing size or a difference in photos.

Someday you will need to read this thread-> http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Threads here are so crazy. Like how many pounds do you want to lose in 4 weeks, 30 or 40?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Congrats skirtgirl on the loss of 14 pounds. :)
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It takes quite a while to notice the results especially for others to see it. I suggest taking progress pictures. They really helped me see the changes that were happening when I couldn't see it in the mirror.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I use two 8lb weights for some upper body strength exercises. 16 lbs!! Do you realize how much that is?? Enough that I get tired lifting it after 20 or so reps. You are at 14lbs lost - it is substantial and your body is thanking you for that even if you can't see it yet. Keep going....
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Think it was an accidental duplicate, they have the same time stamp ;)
  • Lenco007
    Lenco007 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started in November. In fact, I didn't really notice until I dropped 30 pounds and had to buy new clothes. However, other people saw it right away and commented.

I have now dropped 49 pounds with an additional 50 left to go. There are still days where I flook into the mirror and feel discouraged and unhappy with the way I look.

Luckily I have a great class instructor who reminds me that this is not a sprint. I am training for the marathon of life. It takes time and patience.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! We all struggle. Good luck !!!
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Maybe take progress pics from the front and side? I find it way easier to see the changes on camera than irl...they're so gradual we tend to miss it:) Also, I've picked some progress jeans that are a size or two down from where I am and I put them on every couple of weeks and see the progress that way. First they wouldn't even go over my thighs then a little bit later they were up to my hips, then buttoned with severe muffin top and now much smaller muffin top and almost comfortable enough to wear...I'm guessing another 5 lbs I'll be able to wear them to work and will have to pick get the next size down to start trying on;) You're doing great! The time will pass anyway so why not spend it getting closer to your ultimate goal!!
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on doing so well! Second, do NOT, any of you, give up while you are being so amazingly successful! Third, 10 pounds is approximately a dress size...try going shopping when you need proof :)

I have never understood "10 pounds is approximately a dress size" or attaching any arbitrary weight loss amount to clothing sizes. With how different every body is you can't even average it. It took me 30 pounds to go down one pant size. Yet in an additional 35 pounds I've gone down two more sizes. I have a feeling I'll be in the size I'm in now for at least 20 to 30 more pounds.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    mathiseasy wrote: »

Think it was an accidental duplicate, they have the same time stamp ;)

Ha! Forum fart AND brain fart (on my part). Thanks, @mathiseasy ;)
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Omg that's awesome work girl! Go u! What I wished I'd done (because I was the same as you) 1. Take weekly or fortnightly pics. 2. Get out the measuring tape and measure or get measured. 3. Keep going

Each month I then put the photos side by side and start seeing a difference! Also when the clothes start getting looser it's win win. But I agree it's such a mental thing in how we see ourselves. And women are more harsh on our selves.