Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Options
2»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    The members of my training group use either Garmin 920XT or Fenix devices to capture and track our workout data. We use HR zone info when run training and also as backup measurement to Power when cycling.

We all have chest strap style HRM's from either Garmin or Wahoo. No issues that I'm aware of with either brand HRM over the last two years. And at least 3 of the HRM's have gone through the washer a few times with no loss of performance.

I just washed my wahoo for the first time... Swapped the battery, mostly out of habit. Still running strong.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I just washed my wahoo for the first time... Swapped the battery, mostly out of habit. Still running strong.

Its nice to know the HRM is clean! ;)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Options

Its nice to know the HRM is clean! ;)

Normally I'll use an alcohol wipe monthly or so, although with the detachable straps, it doesn't really get that much sweat.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I used to use the Polar FT4 and it worked well enough for me although not especially comfortable. It was accurate enough that my weight did not go up if I ate the calories it claimed I had burned. Now ordered a Polar H10 and hoping it will be reliable enough to get an idea of my current burns.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,581 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    How well an optical sensor works depends a lot on the skin colour (pale is better), hairs (less is better), shape of the location, how cold it is and how close to the wrist it's work (wrist is not so good due to smaller blood vessles and effect of coldness) and the type of sensor used. A chest strap is generally more precise, if more uncomfy for many people.

For some people like @jennifer_runs and my wife it's impossible to wear a chest strap and thus a schosche is a better option.

For the record, it's a geometric not a volumetric problem. Alternative mounts vs a strap for a chest based monitor are prohibitively expensive for someone who wants to work out more than once a week($100-150 each)

I do prefer my Scosche as well! A chest strap is just very uncomfy, being a woman. I can imagine it's fairly uncomfy for men as well though.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    The members of my training group use either Garmin 920XT or Fenix devices to display and capture our workout data. We use HR zone info when run training and also as backup measurement to Power when cycling.

We all have chest strap style HRM's from either Garmin or Wahoo. No issues that I'm aware of with either brand HRM over the last two years. And at least 3 of the HRM's have gone through the washer a few times with no loss of performance.

This is me, too. Fenix 5X. Garmin chest straps.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I actually disagree that the chest strap is more accurate. For me it was always cutting out, and I get more reliable readings from a wrist-based HRM.

I've been using a wrist-based HRM for about 2 years now-- the first year it was the Mio Link, and now I have a Garmin 235 with a built-in optical wrist-based HRM (I could also use the ANT+ chest strap if I want, but I got rid of mine). For years before that I used a Garmin or Polar with a chest strap. I get much more reliable readings from the optical wrist-based. Sometimes the signal cuts out, but as long as I have it snug on my wrist it works well about 90% of the time. Contrarily, the chest strap would often cut out and it had a lot of electrical interference.

The Garmin 235 is also an all-day activity tracker, which I know you don't want. But you can also use it just for your workouts. I would highly recommend it.

I get the same problem with my chest strap cutting out. It worked great for years then I moved to the windy high desert and it barely works in the winter. I've been wearing it indoors skating and it reads fine as long as it doesn't shift up to my bra. I am slightly regretting not getting the Fenix 3 HR because I love running in winter and using heart rate zones. I didn't go with the HR because I read that it didn't show changes in heart rate as quickly as a chest strap. Never had a wrist HR, so I can't really say.

I'm not sure I can recommend Garmin anymore. I killed two Vivosmarts in one year, but thought it was just because they were cheap. The first one had a problem with the battery connection, and the second the LCD went out. They were both under warranty fortunately and REI was awesome about it. I got a Vivoactive which has been great for two years, but I recently upgraded to a used Fenix 3. The GPS died and it's going to cost $140 to fix it. I would probably stick with Polar or buy a bluetooth chest strap that syncs with your phone if you carry it with you.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Wahoo chest strap. Awesome, easy to interface with MFP and they have leds. Chest straps are much spontaneous. Optical watches I tried before were always infuriating.
  • georgiag8tr
    georgiag8tr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Myzone (sports bra or chest strap) or Polar chest strap are my favorite 2 HRMs
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use the polar H7 strap and pair it with the polar beat app and the MapMyFitness app which syncs to mfp. I got mine for $45 new on eBay and the apps are free.

I use both just to see how they compare with each other. They are usually fairly close though. Cheap and works well.

The Polar Beat app has a better visual than the mfp one but doesn't seem to sync for me though.