Uh oh, I'm losing, but so is my special needs child

Options
alphastarz
alphastarz Posts: 55 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Need ideas of what type of foods any of you can suggest for helping an underweight ADHD/ASD/lactose intolerant child gain weight while not derailing my attempts to lose weight. Stocking the pantry with junk food (chips, soda, oven french fries) like we were accustomed to appease him before is too tempting for me in my own fight against obesity, and cooking double so he doesn't pitch a fit about the healthier foods we are trying is overwhelming. To be specific, he is underweight and Losing currently, enough that Dr. Is worried about the trend.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Find his TDEE and feed him above it. It can be healthy, nutritious food. It doesn't have to be industrial junk because that would be unfair to you.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My eldest is a fruitaholic which helps. Does he have any favourite healthy foods? Also, if you buy things really for him, you may be able to resist it better.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Could you handle having smucker's peanut butter around the house?
    ... I know it's hard. I cook double. Only way.
    Ensure drinks have 350 calories, and kids say it taste good (In case it's really bad). Not sure lactose content.
    Could you buy fast food for him only from time to time?
    For ADD I've read fish oil could help.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Did the doc have some suggestions?
    Probably you can make similar foods for yourself that you make for him: fries for him; baked fries for yourself.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Does he like peanut butter? That can be a good way to add calories. Avocado? Butter? Oils? I have petit, slender boys and I worry too. My 2 year old eats far worse than my eldest though.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Oishii wrote: »
    Does he like peanut butter? That can be a good way to add calories. Avocado? Butter? Oils?

This. Food nutritionally sound but high in calories.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I also second the peanut butter. My daughter (ASD) loves it. Still trying to convince her to try it on Apple slices but it'll come eventually.
    And I know it'd be high cal for you, but mashed potatoes is always a hit. I make them 2-3x a week. I just have smaller portions and load up on extra veggies as well
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    When my younger son was a toddler, he was very underweight and I added heavy cream and cream of coconut (I think that's what it was) to anything I reasonably could. I also got some sort of pediasure type drink that wasn't milk based. Sort of more like high calorie juice/koolaid. I thought it would be more appealing in the heat of summer. I can't remember the name but he seemed to like it well enough and it was something like 250-300 calories per juice box. In his case I had to make every bit or sip count because he wouldn't eat in any quantity. Good luck! I remember how frustrating it was and I wasn't trying to watch my own weight then, but I noticed that all the focus on calories and how the little one was eating was making my 5 year old notice and pay more attention than I thought was healthy.
  • alphastarz
    Options
    He's already eating peanut butter sandwiches daily, I'll try doubling since heaven forbid he does eat them. He throws away large portions of dinner (casseroles, meat and potatoes, vegetables) and teacher reports he's throwing away the crackers and fruit cups that were being packed in his lunch. We saw the psych today which sees and weighs him more frequently than developmental pediatrician... His initial suggestions of things like ensure or carnation breakfast don't work because the lactose intolerance, he punted to the Dev ped for follow up on his diet which we have to wait to get an appointment. He will try to steal sausage... I mean like he'll want to eat 20+ links in one sitting with no moderation. But I'm not sure letting him go that unchecked with sausage is a good idea? He doesn't seem to be able to feel or realize he's hungry or full, he just eats or refuses based on if he likes the food.
  • alphastarz
    Options
    No butter (lactose)
  • alphastarz
    Options
    Kids clif bars do it for my kids
    I'm totally going to see if he might go for these. He does like granola bars with chocolate, but can't normally give since the chocolate/lactose issue. And he rather starve than eat the raisin ones.
  • alphastarz
    Options
    Owlfan88 wrote: »
    When my younger son was a toddler, he was very underweight and I added heavy cream and cream of coconut (I think that's what it was) to anything I reasonably could. I also got some sort of pediasure type drink that wasn't milk based. Sort of more like high calorie juice/koolaid. I thought it would be more appealing in the heat of summer. I can't remember the name but he seemed to like it well enough and it was something like 250-300 calories per juice box. In his case I had to make every bit or sip count because he wouldn't eat in any quantity. Good luck! I remember how frustrating it was and I wasn't trying to watch my own weight then, but I noticed that all the focus on calories and how the little one was eating was making my 5 year old notice and pay more attention than I thought was healthy.
    Cream of coconut?! Oh I will have to try a smoothy recipe with this as a sub and see if he will tolerate. Also apparently need to head back to the pediasure aisle at a larger grocer and recheck labels, I didn't initially see any that were dairy free or a high calorie juice version at the first place I looked.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    My child will only eat chicken. but lives aero bars and peanut butter cups. his doc was worried he was losing weight, I'm sure the mis weighed him but I always have a supply if aeros or Pb cups on hand. If he wants them for breakfast why not. If he wants nuggets for breakfast sure. We are regulars at McDonald's because it's lots of calories...I get a salad.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and banana sandwiches?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why is it overwhelming to cook a little larger portion for him? If you cook large batches, you will have leftovers for a few days, or something to freeze, so it will be less stressful in the long run. A supplement like Pediasure could add calories and nutrition, if the doctor approves of it.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    alphastarz wrote: »
    Owlfan88 wrote: »
    Cream of coconut?! Oh I will have to try a smoothy recipe with this as a sub and see if he will tolerate. Also apparently need to head back to the pediasure aisle at a larger grocer and recheck labels, I didn't initially see any that were dairy free or a high calorie juice version at the first place I looked.

Try asking YOUR doctor. We run into this from time to time with our little old people (I work in ICU). They come in with failure to thrive and anorexia (not anorexia nervosa) and we have to supplement them. But they frequently don't do well on the the lactose heavy supplements because they cause... lets just call it fast bowel syndrome. The food has to stay in there long enough for the nutrients to be digested.

Most of the stuff we use is actually perscription, but a talk with a doctor who handles geriatric cases as well as regular family practice, or maybe even a pharmacist at a large drug store might help you to find a lactose free gainer type drink.

IIRC, they make some that are basically super fortified orange juice. Might see if you could find something like that.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Can you give him high calorie nutritional supplement shakes between meals? They typically sell that at drugstores and supermarkets. They are tasty enough, but I doubt you'd reach for that to satisfy any type of craving. I suspect they could be blended up with a banana or peanut butter.