"Fat Apron" after two c-sections

Options
I'm a mon of two boys, in the past three years (4/15/13 and recently 3/25/16) I've given birth via c-section. First pregnancy, I gained 60lbs, put me at 260 the day of delivery, I got down to 215 in August of 2015 and found out I was pregnant again. Second pregnancy I gained 47lbs putting me back up to 262 the day of delivery. Both of my boys carried extremely low and we're 10lb+ babies.

I have been dedicated at losing weight this time. Since March 25, 2016, I have lost 33.6 lbs putting me at 228.4lbs. But, I am stuck with that I "lovingly" refer to as a fat apron (lower belly that hangs down). I would like to get down to 175/165 - so another 50+ lbs.

Anyone have a "fat apron" that disappeared with diet and exercise that didn't require surgery to correct. I currently hate my body, which I have never felt that way. I have felt unhappy being overweight but my body never disgust me. My friends/family just keep reminding me I'm only 2 months out from a csection and I should be happy with my progress, but I can't help but wonder if it's possible to lose this hanging fat.

Anyone have motivational stories or pictures to share? Or other moms in the same boat?

Replies

• suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There is a medical name for it, but it's escaping me at the moment.

It's is common and unfortunately I think typically there isn't much change without surgery but hopefully someone else can pipe up and prove me wrong.

I have two kids and no c/s and have a decent bit of loose skin in the belly. It stinks but oh well. In my case it's not worthy of surgery but if yours is bad I would certainly consider it done day when you are 100% done having kids and have lost the weight and kept it off.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think it's possible to get rid of the "Mommy Apron." Hard, but possible. Age, amount of weight lost, speed of weight lost, genetics, etc. all probably play roles in the apron going away. Here is another thread with some success stories, and it links one of my favorite threads in the forums on getting a flat stomach.

I don't know how much you look at the forums, but check out the Success Stories in general and these in particular, especially the ones on lifting. I swear those girls get the best results, and some day I will work better resistance training into my schedule.

• ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had my second big baby in August and have gone from 240 the day after I have birth to 175. I had the fat apron for five years from my first when I stayed at about 200lbs after his birth. Now at 175 it is way smaller! Almost gone. I expect when I reach my goal of 150-160 it will be gone. I was worried it wouldn't go away but it seems to be slowly disappearing
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I lifted heavy and got rid of mine.
  • caycelovato
    caycelovato Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is possible to get rid of it, but it requires good cardio and core work like yoga or Pilates. And your diet will play a huge roll in it. Minimal bread and dairy. I got rid of most of mine after my second csection, and am currently working on getting rid of it again after my third last year. But don't be so tough on yourself - it took a long time to get your belly, and it will take a long time to lose it :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    It is possible to get rid of it, but it requires good cardio and core work like yoga or Pilates. And your diet will play a huge roll in it. Minimal bread and dairy. I got rid of most of mine after my second csection, and am currently working on getting rid of it again after my third last year. But don't be so tough on yourself - it took a long time to get your belly, and it will take a long time to lose it :)

I ate bread and dairy and did little to no cardio. *shrug*
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Come and join us in this postpartum group where we encourage each other and do a weekly weigh in. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/113945-fit-fabulous-postpartum