Which data helps you the most with fitness goals?

Options
robertw486
robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
I thought this might be an interesting topic on devices/data for fitness goals rather than weight control goals. We know how energy balance / CICO drives the weight fluctuations, but measuring outputs and fitness goals can at times be more variable and IMO, harder to control to see results.

For me personally, any instantaneous data is huge, especially during cardio work. Pace/wattage/calorie burn/etc... anything that gives me the right here, right now output.

As much as I'd love some power meters on my bike, I really can't justify the expense at my level of riding time. But with wind and other variables in play, I only know true power output estimates at the end of the ride with app estimations, obviously skewed when dealing with wind and other factors.

On the elliptical, it has so much data that it's almost too much at times and can be distracting. And though the output I watch most is calories per minute, it's based on the wattage and my weight. And due to that, I can consistently see split times, averages, and the data that keeps me right at the paces I'm looking to hit.

Running... meh for now I'm a hot mess. I actually have the cardio base to put in fairly quick miles, but without any solid pace and cadence input, my pace on a charted app looks like a yo-yo. I know my averages would drop a decent bit if I could control that. Lack of data is hurting me, and it made me realize how reliant I've become on data to control pace.

For strength training, harder to measure power. Sure it's easy to measure weights/sets/reps, but most don't measure the time factor at all. Without the time factor the actual output power is somewhat skewed, and people revert to volume.

I'm not sure if good apps/timers could easily correct that to form a really structured workout pace vs rest interval between. Maybe something worth looking into.

What data helps you all the most, and do you prefer the simplicity of cutting 30 seconds off a short run, or the complexity of more precise minute to minute pace notes or some type of metered power measure?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Distance.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    How much weight is on the bar, how many reps
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Power, then TSS (training stress score) in the form of ATL/CTL (acute training load / chronic training load) from which you get TSB (training stress balance) which is your fitness and freshness.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I track my workouts in an app where I can see PRs easily. It's called RepCount. I'm a total pencil and notebook girl so it was hard for me to make the switch but it has been really helpful. Also when I go to input my lift, it will show me what I did last week so I can know how much to put on the bar for that particular workout easily.

I have the cheapest fitbit. It only measures steps. I don't do cardio so no need for an HRM. It's not a magic tool and I don't really believe the calories burned, but I definitely try not to dip under a certain amount of steps per day and I believe it's helping me increase NEAT.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Power, then TSS (training stress score) in the form of ATL/CTL (acute training load / chronic training load) from which you get TSB (training stress balance) which is your fitness and freshness.

I wish there were simple and effective measures of power for lifting and other type exercises. If I view it similar to say biking or other cardio power measures, I have to think that the overall power over time factor is a much better indication than just volume.

arditarose wrote: »
    I track my workouts in an app where I can see PRs easily. It's called RepCount. I'm a total pencil and notebook girl so it was hard for me to make the switch but it has been really helpful. Also when I go to input my lift, it will show me what I did last week so I can know how much to put on the bar for that particular workout easily.

I have the cheapest fitbit. It only measures steps. I don't do cardio so no need for an HRM. It's not a magic tool and I don't really believe the calories burned, but I definitely try not to dip under a certain amount of steps per day and I believe it's helping me increase NEAT.

I do think apps are great, and I've often wondered why more lifting apps don't use a time factor. I've been curious and might make some changes, as power over time is a big measure, and I've wondered if simply longer breaks between sets are making it easier for people to convince themselves that they are improving, when in reality they aren't improving much.