Dealing with people on fad diets

Options
2»

Replies

• chillycsmith
    Options
    Yeah I've seen people that hate on MFP saying "It doesn't work" or "It's so annoying to use" and it's probably just because they're lazy, don't have time, don't know what moderation is, or just personally don't like it, and that's okay. I love this website so much because I know how much I need to take in every day and the community is generally so positive and nice...:happy: To each their own, I guess
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It depends on how the conversation started. Sometimes I'll just let it go, usually i just call straight bullshlt and give a couple of quick correlations as to how it's dead wrong and unsustainable and I have a nice little talent for being able to communicate that very well.

I sure as hell do judge fad diets. It's our responsibility to judge them.

I tell ya what. Shortly you will be able to say "just go to the FitnessTutor dot com, he'll set you straight. As a matter of fact, you can do that now.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't talk about stuff like that with people in real life. If I'm gonna talk about anything, I'm just going to emphasize physical activity and a balanced, healthy diet. People don't really want to hear it.

I wouldn't care what a bunch of serial, yo-yo dieters say anyway. I have a sister-in-law who is convinced that a certain diet program is the key to her weight loss. She's been using it off and on for years, but she only gets bigger and bigger over time. She goes on her diet, crashes and burns, then starts the cycle over.

She asks for advice and then rolls her eyes and says my lifestyle of exercise and logging food is "ridiculous" and "too hard," but hey, I've been successful. I've been at maintenance for well over 2 years. It is neither "ridiculous" nor "too hard." It's simple (but does take effort and dedication) and it's a healthy habit that takes just a couple of minutes out of my day. She's convinced it only works for "lucky" people like me - you know, the ones with the good genes. :wink:

Probably a lot of the haters you're describing are the people like my sister-in-law who half-*kitten* a program and then blame the program when it fails. I find that a lot of the people who have trouble on MFP either don't understand how it works or they try to cheat the program (guesstimating, sporadic logging, omitting things, overestimating exercise cals, etc).

It comes down to priorities. You have to want to be healthy and fit MORE than you want the comfort, ease and familiarity of your old lifestyle. That's a tough one for some people, especially the ones that want a quick and easy fix. You also need to actually understand how the body works and understand how the program works.

Good Luck with the haters. :flowerforyou:

Thanks! You rock!!

I've been using MFP and my best friend had to change her diet drastically for health reasons, and we've both lost a considerable amount of weight (I have thus far lost around 70 lb total but 26 on MFP). We have a third friend who is always on a fad diet and most recently used some sort of Magical Amazing Weight Loss Miracle Shakes. She gained weight after that. But of course we've had success because we're "lucky".
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I don't talk about stuff like that with people in real life. If I'm gonna talk about anything, I'm just going to emphasize physical activity and a balanced, healthy diet. People don't really want to hear it.

I wouldn't care what a bunch of serial, yo-yo dieters say anyway. I have a sister-in-law who is convinced that a certain diet program is the key to her weight loss. She's been using it off and on for years, but she only gets bigger and bigger over time. She goes on her diet, crashes and burns, then starts the cycle over.

She asks for advice and then rolls her eyes and says my lifestyle of exercise and logging food is "ridiculous" and "too hard," but hey, I've been successful. I've been at maintenance for well over 2 years. It is neither "ridiculous" nor "too hard." It's simple (but does take effort and dedication) and it's a healthy habit that takes just a couple of minutes out of my day. She's convinced it only works for "lucky" people like me - you know, the ones with the good genes. :wink:

Probably a lot of the haters you're describing are the people like my sister-in-law who half-*kitten* a program and then blame the program when it fails. I find that a lot of the people who have trouble on MFP either don't understand how it works or they try to cheat the program (guesstimating, sporadic logging, omitting things, overestimating exercise cals, etc).

It comes down to priorities. You have to want to be healthy and fit MORE than you want the comfort, ease and familiarity of your old lifestyle. That's a tough one for some people, especially the ones that want a quick and easy fix. You also need to actually understand how the body works and understand how the program works.

Good Luck with the haters. :flowerforyou:

THIS. THIS SO MUCH> You just won MFP MVP for life! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, most of the time i just tell them how it is. Life's to short to care what people think of me when in a few months they will only prove me right.
  • whipsmart10014
    Options
    I ignore them. My results speak for themselves.