Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fit Over 50

ava200
ava200 Posts: 1 Member
Anyone over 50 want to be in the best shape they've ever been in their lives? I do! Trying to lose weight , feel great and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Although it's so difficult when you reach this age bracket.

Replies

• ynot1234567890
    ynot1234567890 Posts: 14 Member
    I am just over 50 and started this weight loss thing with My Fitness Pal about 40 days ago. As part of this I have also started to increase my exercise level. So far down 20.9lbs. Finding the app simple, easy to use and quite effective. It has certainly helped me understand my caloric intake and what's appropriate for my work / life style.

Have a total of 84 lbs to lose, 32% my body weight. It's a stretch but I'm hoping to stay motivated and that the lifestyle change is sustainable.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    In my experience, it isn't as bad as we're led to believe.
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Haven't had a problem losing the weight. Harder to do recomp, get bf% down. The recovery times from working out are a little longer as opposed to when I was 30, and I have a few more aches and pains, but it's working out just fine
  • ConnieDoty
    ConnieDoty Posts: 6 Member
    Yep! It is difficult, but it's the beginning of the next half-century! I just need to stay focused. What things help you all to stay on track?
  • Iamtinker2
    Iamtinker2 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2016
    I am 60 and joined this program because my daughter and my partner both need the help to lose weight. It helps each of keep focused and on course. I need to lose too, lost 30 through cancer treatment but have 60 more to go.
  • royboy969
    royboy969 Posts: 218 Member
    I am pushing 62,,, not ready to give in yet.. Have dropped 30+,, feel free to add me for support and sarcasm..
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    At 60, I'm pretty sure I *am* in the best shape of my life, or darn close to it, thanks to MFP. I was the near-mythical sorta-fit fat person (just over the border on the dangerous side of obese) until about a year ago. Now, the muscles & heart that powered 183 pounds of me (at 5'5") are having a much easier time moving my 120-pound self around. I feel positively spry. ;)

Just set a reasonable, sustainable calorie goal; stick to it substantially more often than not; eat tasty, nutritious, satisfying food; find an active hobby or two that you want to do because it's just plain fun . . . and it simply works. You can even phase those things in gradually, if you wish.

It was easier than I expected; I wish I'd done it years ago. I actually think it may be easier at an older age, in some ways: I know myself better, I have more practice at doing things just because they need to be done, I'm accustomed to working for non-immediate goals, etc.

I agree with @cmtristani about recovery & such, but that's not a huge problem when I can manage moderation. @Iamtinker2, I'm a cancer survivor, too - but didn't lose much (any?) weight during treatment, other than the surgical part.

You can do this!
  • OleetaIgar
    OleetaIgar Posts: 3 Member
    I'll be 60 in January. This weight problem has been on going since birth. I was a 9 lb15 ounce baby! Really looking for help with staying motivated. I am doing the Diabetes Step Out Walk in November again this year. It really helped last year. I need to walk for Arthritis in my knee too. Any support and help is appreciated.
  • lithezebra
    ConnieDoty wrote: »
    Yep! It is difficult, but it's the beginning of the next half-century! I just need to stay focused. What things help you all to stay on track?

Having a routine helps me. I exercise early, so it's done, and if I do more later, that's great, but I don't have to. I take more active recovery days than a younger person probably would. For example, I wouldn't do strenuous workouts on two consecutive days. An active recovery day might be walking or easy cycling. The biggest thing, for me, is that my main goal is feeling good. I know that exercise and keeping my weight down make me feel good, and that overdoing it and being injured does not, so working hard AND moderation are the goalposts I stay between.
  • lithezebra
    OleetaIgar wrote: »
    I'll be 60 in January. This weight problem has been on going since birth. I was a 9 lb15 ounce baby! Really looking for help with staying motivated. I am doing the Diabetes Step Out Walk in November again this year. It really helped last year. I need to walk for Arthritis in my knee too. Any support and help is appreciated.

Do you have access to a stationary bike, especially a recumbent, or a swimming pool? You could walk every other day, for weight bearing exercise, and do the bike or water exercise on alternate days, for activities that are very gentle to knees. (When I had a knee injury, biking and water exercise were the things my orthopedist recommended).
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Totally agree with the routine thing @lithezebra. I have my morning ritual that I stick to, I also work out early, and it helps me be successful the rest of the day, both with food and getting my steps in throughout the day. I also seem to recover faster when I work out in the morning, not sure why. I use a recumbent bike mostly, with a stairclimber now and then just to break things up. The recumbent bike is low stress on knees and hips, which helps a great deal.
  • Suzanne_the_foot_lady
    Suzanne_the_foot_lady Posts: 219 Member
    Hello, I'm 54 and going through the perimenapause.
    I would like to lose around 10lbs, and get fit and toned. My problem is A. Time, B. Energy and C. I have a problem with my tendons in my hands and arms, so I can't grip handles at the gym, without intense pain, which is a shame as I enjoyed going. I am concentrating on walking, but need ideas for upper body, which doesn't involve tight gripping the plank, press ups etc. 😊
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,311 Member
    Hello, I'm 54 and going through the perimenapause.
    I would like to lose around 10lbs, and get fit and toned. My problem is A. Time, B. Energy and C. I have a problem with my tendons in my hands and arms, so I can't grip handles at the gym, without intense pain, which is a shame as I enjoyed going. I am concentrating on walking, but need ideas for upper body, which doesn't involve tight gripping the plank, press ups etc. 😊

This post is from 2016, you might want to start a new one. It might be worth the expense to consult a personal trainer for exercises due to the issues you have.