New Dad, Thinking about the Future

Good Morning, Everyone. To begin, I am not really new to MFP. I have had the app on my phone for over a year now, and I am pretty comfortable with using it. Unfortunately, it only works when I choose to use it, which is why I'm now taking the added step of drawing on these forums for help and support.

My life has been a series of victories and setbacks with food, though I have been stuck at the same high plateau now for nearly four years. To be specific: I estimate that I have 60 pounds to lose. I have made many attempts since 2009 to challenge myself to climb back down from up here through diet tracking and exercise, but none has lasted longer than a month or so.

Why can't I seem to get my numbers down? It comes down to one single factor that manifests itself in dozens of ways: bad food habits. Staying up too late and feasting in the kitchen, robotically going through cupboards after getting home from work, time and time again assuring myself that "this time" I can handle purchasing whatever trigger food ends up in my cart at the supermarket. In addition, the grim knowledge that my goal is going to take a really long time to achieve always seems to undermine whatever minor progress I make, even though that makes little to no sense.

What's really made me resolve to find motivating strategies that work is the birth of my son nearly six months ago. I want to be able to keep up with him as he starts crawling/walking/running and, more importantly, I don't want him to go through his childhood influenced by an unhealthy father who has a dysfunctional food relationship. I look at the death of a guy like James Gandolfini, stricken by a heart attack at 51 while on vacation with his family, and I realize that 51 is not all that far away (for context, I just turned 34).

I hope I can draw on the collected experiences of other contributors here, and I can offer in turn my own perspectives gathered from nearly 20 years of experience in trying to control my weight. While that path has ultimately led me to where I am, I am confident that I still have what it takes to motivate myself, and I think I can still offer some useful advice. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• BraydensDad78
    BraydensDad78 Posts: 3 Member
    very similar story here, I just turned 35. I have a 5yr old son & find it very hard to keep up with him! I've been using MFP sporadically for about a year, I dropped 20lbs only to gain it back within 6 months...:noway: I am motivated now and have realized I need support just like everyone else... Stay strong & stay motivated!
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Congratulations on becoming a dad. My reasons for looking at my health are similar. My daughter is 18 months and never stops moving, never wants to be indoors etc etc. I find myself looking at food differently - would I feed that to my daughter? Do I want her to think that's a good choice? It keeps me on track.

Good luck
  • weadoj
    weadoj Posts: 4
    Thanks for your replies! I wonder sometimes what images children will have of food nowadays as they get older in this day and age. There's a lot more information available on what's good for you, but at the same time there are even more unhealthy choices in fast food places and supermarket shelves. I'm thinking about working with a professional nutritionist as I get started here, just so that I can recalibrate my out of wack "food sense".

That's the think about habits...either good or bad, they come from repetition. Thanks again for the words of support, I think that's part of what's been missing in my earlier attempts!
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Baby girl on the way in the next couple weeks, I have cut 30lbs since we found out! good luck everyone
  • Welcome and good luck! You sound like you have your head in exactly the right place. MFP is a great place to turn to for support when you're struggling and to brag when you're doing well. Best of luck and bravo for attacking this now -- just think, your son can grow up never remembering anything other than a fit and healthy dad!
  • __delete
    __delete Posts: 245 Member
    Another father here, of 2. They will inspire you to be a better man. No doubt.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Proud papa of 2 boys, the 2nd born 2 months ago.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Being there for your son is the best reason to stay in shape. I have a similar reason. I have a 33 and a 30 year old and an 8 year old. I have to stay in shape for him now.