walking half marathon

Options
cobes24
cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
Does anyone have a good training program for walking a half marathon? Everything I find online is for running, other than one walking program that is tailored for someone who doesn't exercise at all. I have had various levels of fitness on and off throughout my life, but never could make use of the treadmill until recently when I've started really enjoying it. I have been walking 60-75 min on the treadmill a few times a week for last few mos, and just recently have started to up my pace some. A few friends and I want to do a half marathon in the late summer, mostly a flat or downhill course (which is something since we live in the Black Hills). I don't think it would be a huge issue to walk that distance without any training but any tips or training ideas from long distance walkers would be appreciated!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to finish in a specific amount of time, or to finish at all? If the latter, it will be much easier for you.

I'd suggest walking a lot, occasionally doing a long walk, and pushing your distance occasionally. Maybe go hiking on weekends. I think you'll find it's easier than you expect but working up to it will certainly help.
  • Firedrake2001
    Firedrake2001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi cobes24,

I walk/jog 8-15 miles almost every day, occasionally I walk up to 17-18 miles (usually on a weekend day). I started walking in mid-December and eventually progressed to C25K (which I recently completed). I jog 5-6 miles every other day and then walk enough to make my total mileage exceed 10 miles. On opposite days I just walk. I started out walking exclusively on my treadmill (I have a treadmill desk, so I can use the computer while walking) and transitioned to some outdoor walking/jogging when I started C25K in April.

Trying to just walk a half marathon without really preparing will leave you very sore and probably with a good collection of blisters. (Voice of experience here: I didn't do a half marathon but I have drastically increased my walking mileage from one day to the next, for example 5 to 10 miles, and been extremely sore the next day.) I'm guessing that you are probably walking about 3 miles currently. I would suggest either increasing your mileage each week (maybe 0.5 - 1 mile) to build up endurance and toughen up your feet or following one of the half marathon running programs. If you choose to do the half marathon running program, just using a fast walking pace for the running portion and a slower walk for the walking portion. Also, train the program by distance, not time.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. Just like running, you will need good socks and shoes. Invest in some good performance socks (I personally use the Wright anti-blister socks and also have some Injinji). As far as shoes, I have always bought running sneakers but I did read someone else on MFP saying there was a difference between running and walking shoes.
    2. Stretch after walking. You may not need it at first, but as you start to walk longer distances you will definitely feel it if you don't stretch.
    3. Take care of blisters immediately (i.e. put a cushion around the blister, not over the top of it - the idea is to remove the pressure from the skin so it can heal).
    4. Do at least some of your training outside. Walking on the treadmill is different from walking outside, make sure you get used to it before the race. Also, the air outside will probably be warmer and more humid - I read somewhere that it takes about 8-10 days of training outside to adjust (although that was referring to running and may not be as much of a problem for walking).
    5. You might want to buy a running belt that can hold a water bottle or two (and a phone, keys, etc.) Personally I hate carrying things in my hands for several hours while walking.
    6. Do some long walks outside using the gear you plan to use during the half marathon. That way, if something is a problem, you learn it before the race.
    7. Keep in mind that training is not just about muscle strength, your connective tissues (tendons, etc.) need to adjust as well.
    8. I don't know if you are currently trying to lose weight, but I have found that being in a deficit affects how fast I can walk (especially on the treadmill, for some reason I can walk faster outside).

Most of all, enjoy your walks!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on doing this as a walker! Check the allowed time on the course since you will be taking longer than most runners. (Usually under "event info" on the event's website.) Some events will close the course or move you over to the sidewalk after a certain amount of time. Moving to the sidewalk isn't an issue per se, just be aware. Make sure that the rules will accommodate your expected pace & finish time. Have fun!