What supplements do you take?

Options
2»

Replies

• celphiee
    celphiee Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Multi- though I'm starting to wonder if I should keep taking it, I take so many others.
    Iron- At the recommendation of my doctor as I've suddenly become anemic.
    Calcium Magnesium- Apparently to help absorb vitamins and minerals.
    Vitamin C- I find it helps with allergies.
    Vitamin B 100- for everything else.

I'm also curious about vitamins for lowering blood pressure too. I have high blood pressure but my doctor and I feel I'm a tad too young to start blood pressure medication yet. I've taken numerous tests and everything else seems fine it just seems to be my blood pressure is just high. And now I'm anemic- which just started this year. The bp has been an ongoing issue for the past 5 years or so. P.S. I tried Hawthorne supplements, I did seem to have some minor success at lowering the bp but seems to have gone up again and now the Hawthorne does not work for me anymore.
  • teatumbles
    teatumbles Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    -Doctors best vitamin B complex
    -Solgar 1000 IU folate

I take those daily and I make sure to add enough Omega 3s by adding 2-3 tablespoons of Flaxseed or Chia seed a day into one of my meals.
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a deficiency, don't take any. people have a tendency to think if some is good then more is better but that's not true. In most cases, the supplement form of a vitamin isn't as effective as receiving the vitamin from a food source so don't just take a supplement willy nilly. Beta Caratene is a great antioxidant but when taken in supplement form can increase the risk of lung cancer in smokers.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Unless you have a specific deficiency, a simple multivitamin is more than enough.

If you are taking medications for high blood pressure, consult your doctor before taking any supplements, herbal or otherwise, as they can interact, suppress, or enhance the medicine's effects unpredictably.

I'd go one step further and say eat right. Multivitamins are mostly a waste. If you have a specific deficiency then take what your doctor prescribes
  • clover_nev
    clover_nev Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mine is vit c and collagen for the skin, but I guess it would best to ask for medical advice to get a proper supplement to your body...

Just new here :)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I take a prenatal as requested by my gyno and birth control.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin
    Vitamin d
    Magnesium for migraines
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Vitamin d3 and iron (doctors orders)
    Biotin and folic acid (dermatologists orders)
    Fish oil (no reason, I heard it was good for you so I take it)
    Melatonin because I suck at sleeping.
  • sappermuff
    sappermuff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin
    D3 5000 iu
    Magnesium
    Creatine monohydrate
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Just a probiotic and a multivitamin daily.
  • grogers1946
    grogers1946 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi just seeing your post. I take an all natural supplement called Moringa Oliefera; It has 90 nutrients (vitamins), 46 antioxidants, 20 amino acids (9 of the essential one's). It provides me all the energy I need and I feel absolutely wonderful at age 69. I walk 2 to 3 miles a day.
  • grogers1946
    grogers1946 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry, haven't figured out yet how to turn my picture around.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    celphiee wrote: »

I'm also curious about vitamins for lowering blood pressure too. I have high blood pressure but my doctor and I feel I'm a tad too young to start blood pressure medication yet. I've taken numerous tests and everything else seems fine it just seems to be my blood pressure is just high. And now I'm anemic- which just started this year. The bp has been an ongoing issue for the past 5 years or so. P.S. I tried Hawthorne supplements, I did seem to have some minor success at lowering the bp but seems to have gone up again and now the Hawthorne does not work for me anymore.
    Maybe try a combination of niacin and magnesium. Both can have a blood-pressure lowering effect when taken over a period of time. Just don't combine them with any HBP medication, since they can enhance the effects.

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    celphiee wrote: »
    Multi- though I'm starting to wonder if I should keep taking it, I take so many others.
    Iron- At the recommendation of my doctor as I've suddenly become anemic.
    Calcium Magnesium- Apparently to help absorb vitamins and minerals.
    Vitamin C- I find it helps with allergies.
    Vitamin B 100- for everything else.

Calcium doesn't help absorption of vitamins and especially iron, in fact it does the opposite, Vitamin C does though. I would take the calcium at the same time as the iron.
  • lmeldrum23
    lmeldrum23 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I take:
    Multivitamin (One a day Women's)
    Vitamin C 1000mg (Doctor Recommended)
    Vitamin D3 10,000IU (I am very deficient)
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I had high blood pressure but it's gone down thanks to this site:
    drdavidwilliams.com/blood-pressure-lowering-nutrients/

When to take vitamins:
    newhope.com/supplements/best-times-take-vitamins-and-supplements