Vegan food?

Options
maddie1902
maddie1902 Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hi, I'm new to the vegan lifestyle and I was wondering what the best foods are in terms of proper nutrition? Thanks!

Replies

• rmullins16
    rmullins16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing since I became a vegetarian is morning star black bean burgers. Check to see if they are vegan but you can make them so many different ways. I use it as a ground beef substitute :)
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    maddie1902 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to the vegan lifestyle and I was wondering what the best foods are in terms of proper nutrition? Thanks!

You might want to do some research into how you manage to get your macros. Shocked you haven't already.
  • cmh3tg
    cmh3tg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Maddie, you can join our new dietbet- it's plant based and has been a great resource for healthy vegan foods and nutritional tips! This is the third one. http://dbet.me/FKtzSw
  • nikkxjohnson
    nikkxjohnson Posts: 70 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Personally, I try to stay away from processed vegan food. A lot of what is out there is high in calories and low in nutrients. Focus on eating whole foods,with 0 to minimal processing. Try whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, tofu, nuts and seeds, etc.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Personally, I try to stay away from processed vegan food. A lot of what is out there is high in calories and low in nutrients. Focus on eating whole foods,with 0 to minimal processing. Try whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, tofu, nuts and seeds, etc.

Healthy!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Be sure to include a lot of variety. And don't forget to take B12 in a B complex tablet. Balanced B is the best that is not extra high in the RDAs. Vegetarians and vegans need B12 supplement but B12 is only absorbed well when taken with the rest of the B vitamins. Research reputable sites for more information. I do tofu, beans, and I do humane certified cage free eggs for protein. I am a vegetarian. Considering vegan soon.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Eating a variety of foods is going to be one of the best ways to help you meet your macro-nutrient needs: beans, grains, fruits, and vegetables will provide a lot of what you need. Don't be afraid to include some processed vegan foods -- check the labels, they can be a helpful way to help you meet some macro-nutrient needs (like protein or fat). Things like tofu, tempeh, seitan, and plant milk are staples for me. I will also sometimes have protein powder. The only thing you can't get from a plant-based diet is B12, so make sure you are either taking a supplement or regularly eating a food that is fortified with B12 (like some plant milks, faux meats, or brands of nutritional yeast are). Depending on what you are eating, you may also choose to supplement DHA, iron, iodine, and Vitamin D. Check out veganhealth.org for good, science-based nutritional advice.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rmullins16 wrote: »
    My favorite thing since I became a vegetarian is morning star black bean burgers. Check to see if they are vegan but you can make them so many different ways. I use it as a ground beef substitute :)

Those contain both eggs and milk, but there are plenty of vegan burger products available now.