New Scales

Options
I first weighed in at 180 lbs and have lost 7lb on my journey so far! I have bought new scales cos mine are a little old and I weight about 6.5 heavier on these scales! Jeez - seems like I have lost nothing although I know that my start weight would have been higher!

How do I carry on/move on and use my new scales without feeling so disheartened?

Any advice?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The number is just a number on a scale but you want credit for what you have lost. You still lost it. So, change your idea -- and your MFP ticker if you like -- to a different starting weight.

Home scales vary in how accurate they are. You can't know which one, if either, was accurate so try to think of it like Farenheit or Celcius temperatures. Whether it's 95F or 35C, it's still stinkin' hot outside. The scale changed but the actual temperature didn't.

You've still lost 7 pounds. Try not to care if they were called "180, 179, 178 ..." or "187, 186, 185 ..." When you next get on a doctor's scale, you'll have a good approximation of an "actual" weight, depending on time of day, what clothes you have on, how much salt was in the previous night's supper ...

It still sucks but I hope this suggested mind game helps.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You can buy a doctor scale (beam scale) for 155.00 on ebay. Its a lifetime investment.