So about those fitness bands/trackers lol

Options
I'm new to them and I've come up with my lists of which and why and what price points what I need them to do etc. I'm going to be purchasing the adidas fit smart and the mio fuse but I may hold off for the mio slice when it comes out.

So ladies and gents what are you using and why?
How is is working for you ?

Replies

• __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Alta. I chose fitbit because that's what my friends and family use and it's fun to do challenges with them. It's also cute, i can change the band, I like that it has a clock and I can see my text messages on it. It's working really well! I eat back half of the calories that I burn and I'm steadily losing weight. The competition aspect is really motivating, I'm always trying to walk 20-25,000 steps so I can beat all my friends, lol.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't use anything unless training for a race.

They are gadgets marketed to make money that aren't necessary.

You can find your cals burned by a simple mathematical formula or by using a free app on a smart phone.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have a jawbone.

works great.
    Love the movement reminder
    silent alarm
    syncs with MFP and mapmyfitness
    and it looks like jewellery not a cheap plastic watch.

I have a fitbit that I won at work...for 45mins of snow shovelling it gave me 6 active minutes. :o
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    I will get the new pebble2 or pebble time2 when it comes out, together with the core. Just haven't decided yet on the exact watch. I like the geekiness of the pebble2, but the time2 is just a bit better.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    i have the garmin forerunner 230. Tracks all day activity, sleep, smart notifications, silent alarm, movement reminders, etc. and pairs with an external heart rate monitor for my exercise. Has built in algorithyms for cycling, running, swimming, weight lifting, and more.

It also looks like a normal watch, which was important to me. I didn't want something that looks like a big, clunky, clearly "activity tracker" device.Garmin-Forerunner-235-sunlight-readable-screen.jpg

p.s. you can change the bands and the watch face to suit your style.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    i have the garmin forerunner 230. Tracks all day activity, sleep, smart notifications, silent alarm, movement reminders, etc. and pairs with an external heart rate monitor for my exercise. Has built in algorithyms for cycling, running, swimming, weight lifting, and more.

It also looks like a normal watch, which was important to me. I didn't want something that looks like a big, clunky, clearly "activity tracker" device.Garmin-Forerunner-235-sunlight-readable-screen.jpg

I have the 235, which looks the same as rainbowbow's, but has a couple extra features.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I have the 235, which looks the same as rainbowbow's, but has a couple extra features.

Yep, but most importantly it has an optical heart rate sensor whereas mine does not.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I bought the wirthings pop. It looks like an analog watch which I love and it is waterproof...I have a pool so that was a must. It doesn't read my swims though and it is supposed to but I've only tried it once as pool just opened. It monitors my sleep pretty accurate a d I wanted it to log my steps. It plays nice with mfp. It works well for what I wanted amd it doesn't scream fitness tracker.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit hr charger. It accurately monitors my heart rate when I exercise. This elimnates any calorie burn guessing game. It also is a great big motivator because I have Fitbit friends who challenge each other.

For example, there are 5 of us on a stepping challenge for the week. Nice, friendly competition.

I highly recommend one with a heart rate monitor
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I wanted that one I wish fitbit made them waterproof instead of just resistent
  • theshadowkissed
    theshadowkissed Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    leelou84 wrote: »
    Fitbit Alta. I chose fitbit because that's what my friends and family use and it's fun to do challenges with them. It's also cute, i can change the band, I like that it has a clock and I can see my text messages on it. It's working really well! I eat back half of the calories that I burn and I'm steadily losing weight. The competition aspect is really motivating, I'm always trying to walk 20-25,000 steps so I can beat all my friends, lol.

My niece is is doing the same thing lol
  • theshadowkissed
    Options
    Thanks guys for all of the input :)
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I wanted that one I wish fitbit made them waterproof instead of just resistent

The Runtastic Orbit is waterproof up to 300ft. I got one recently for $43.
  • Suspended_User
    Suspended_User Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would recommend looking closely at the software that comes with the device. I own a Garmin which I love. I find the Garmin Connect software easy to use. I purchased my wife a more expensive FitBit around the same time and consider it a big mistake. The software seems terrible. There are numerous posts on their forums about the disconnect between the software displaying things like "You are over your calorie budget! 519 calories left for today." It is not intuitive or easy to use in either my wife's or my opinion. If I could do it again, I would have purchased two Garmins.

Keep in mind that many of the trackers don't display that much data. The real benefit you get is from what the software on your PC/Phone/Tablet/PersonalRobotAttendant shows you. If that software is junk, how great the device is doesn't matter as much.
  • brenda_men
    brenda_men Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use the polar chest strap heart rate monitor just to keep track on my high intensity training aiming at 75% of my heart rate capacity since I only do 30 Min two times a week for fat burn with out loosing muscle mass. So far it's the best for accuracy.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I use a Garmin VivoActive. I wanted something with GPS as I feel, along with the step tracking, that's a good way to accurately calculate burned calories, since it can track how long it has taken me to go from point A, to B, to C, etc... I also love the Garmin Connect software. It tells you every minute detail about your running, walking, biking, swimming, etc...
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I have a jawbone.

works great.
    Love the movement reminder
    silent alarm
    syncs with MFP and mapmyfitness
    and it looks like jewellery not a cheap plastic watch.

I have a fitbit that I won at work...for 45mins of snow shovelling it gave me 6 active minutes. :o

I've got a jawbone also, and have come to really appreciate it. Especially the wake-up alarm feature.

For those that don't know, it can monitor your movement during sleep, and log when you're deep asleep, lightly sleeping, or awake. When you set the smart alarm, you can give it a window of time during which it will watch for you to be lightly awake, and then gently vibrate until it awakens you.

No more lurching around, rudely awoken from REM sleep by a noisy alarm clock! This is much more gentle, and i find myself much more generally happy in the mornings waking up this way.
  • theshadowkissed
    Options
    Really great input keep it going
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I use a Jawbone UPmove, as it was being sold dirt cheap at a local bargin shop!

I did buy it as I am having issues sleeping as well as wanting to monitor my activity more closely, and it does both. It's very motivating and links directly to MFP (when it works correctly).

I've also go a My Zone belt, I'm still working out which one is better- I am leaning towards the Jawbone at the moment. The Belt is an older version and can only really be used in the gym, and monitors heart rate directly but it wigs out consistently and if it's not in range of the sensor either wipes the work out or thinks you're starting a new one when you get back in range.

Hope this helps :smiley:
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I use the Garmin VivoSmart HR for daily wear. And I'm thoroughly impressed with it.

As of currently I'm using it because I love the Garmin Connect Ecosystem. Also using the Edge 520, and Forerunner 220.

I had one from an undisclosed company and I'll never use their Flash or let them Shine again.