Bulking - Gaining muscle mass/ Weight

Options
Helo all,

I am fairly new to this and I have some issues.
I want to gain 5kg (muscle mass) and according to this website I need to eat 3100 calories a day (2600 in reality but I lose about 500 during my daiy workout).

I eat 6 times a day with 3 hour intervals and I have ran out of ideas on which mean to increase my calorie intake and what to eat.

Can you guys give me some suggestions?

Find attached the summary of what I eat on a regular day (dinner not included but it's about 800 calories).

Thank you in advance!q58zwz1fmqab.jpg

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Are you following a lifting program?
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE on google. This should account for your age, height ,weight, sex, work out, etc. So once you do that, you don't need to deduct anything else because you worked out (it's already included in the TDEE calculations).

Then eat +250 to +500 calories over that amount per day. It takes 3500 calories to gain 1lb, so if you are at a surplus of +500 calories, you will gain 1lb per week (aka bulk). If you are at a surplus of +250 calories, you will gain 0.5lbs per week (aka slow-bulk).

Do this while on a solid lifting program for the gainzzz to flow (Starting Strength, ICF 5x5, GZCL LP, Strong Lifts, GreySkull LP, etc. are all excellent starting lifting programs)
  • PB_92
    PB_92 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am following a lifting program.

I lift 4 times a week and do some cardio 1 time a week:

Monday: Chest
    Tuesday: Back
    Thursday: Leg and shoulder
    Friday: bicep and tricep + 15 min cardio

(I include abs in every workout).

What I really like to know is good food to help me get those 250 or 500 calories a day, because I have trouble consuming such a large amount of food.
  • GorillaGainz_z
    GorillaGainz_z Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil 1tbs=120calories..
  • PB_92
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil 1tbs=120calories..

Thank you, I'll read up on that.

Any more suggestions would be nice!
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    PB_92 wrote: »
    Helo all,

I am fairly new to this and I have some issues.
    I want to gain 5kg (muscle mass) and according to this website I need to eat 3100 calories a day (2600 in reality but I lose about 500 during my daiy workout).

I eat 6 times a day with 3 hour intervals and I have ran out of ideas on which mean to increase my calorie intake and what to eat.

Can you guys give me some suggestions?

Find attached the summary of what I eat on a regular day (dinner not included but it's about 800 calories).

Thank you in advance!q58zwz1fmqab.jpg

Congrats on having a plan. With a few tweaks you'll be on the road to gaining muscle. In a nut shell your protein intake is too low to build much if any lean muscle mass.

1. Precision Nutrition has an excellent post on designing a meal. It's called "The best calorie control guide" and comes with an infographic. If you simply made every meal you eat following that structure you'll be in great shape.

2. If you want to go deeper, read the article titled "How to fix a broken diet"

3. If you like weighing foods work on eating 6-8oz of meat per meal along with 6-8oz of carbs

4. A lot more can be said but this is a great starting point and you'll notice a tremendous change from implementing this.
  • FiveStarChris
    FiveStarChris Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Imo I would say if your serious about results find a pre mapped out plan and stick to it. I have found its easier to track progress and results that way. On your food intake I would also say identify a weight, BMI, and body fat % goals. They tailor your eating around those goals. Low to no sodium and sugar is crucial. High quality protein a bit less complex carbs than protein. Also include healthy fats such as olive oil as mentioned above and avocados. Try to consume most of the carbs in starch form such as quinoa and whole wheat items such as English muffins. Depending on your weight goals will depend how much you need to eat. Myself for example I am 190 lbs and I am trying to get to 215. In order to do that I have to eat over 3k calories per day ! That's six solid meals 500 calories or more every 3-4 hours. Meal prepping is a must also ! Hope this little bit helps -Cheers
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    PB_92 wrote: »
    Yes, I am following a lifting program.

I lift 4 times a week and do some cardio 1 time a week:

Monday: Chest
    Tuesday: Back
    Thursday: Leg and shoulder
    Friday: bicep and tricep + 15 min cardio

(I include abs in every workout).

What I really like to know is good food to help me get those 250 or 500 calories a day, because I have trouble consuming such a large amount of food.

Keep in mind you are working each body part once a week only.. That is sub-optimal.

I suggest you either get into a upper/lower split (4 days a week, hits each body part twice per week), or a full body routine (3 days a week, hits whole body 3 times per week). IF YOU ARE A NOVICE, DO NOT MAKE YOUR OWN WORKOUT. You will get sub-optimal results when you could be making serious gains. Trust the pros who have trained 100s to 1000s of novices - they know what works and what spins your wheels and gets you nowhere.

Full body, 3x a week programs (amazing for novices):
    Starting Strength, ICF 5x5, GZCL LP, Strong Lifts, GreySkull LP
    or
    Upper/Lower Split: PHUL (4 days a week)
    or
    PPLPPLx (push pull legs push pull legs - 6 days a week).

A good program will have planned progression. Instead of just lifting weights hoping to get big, it should tell you how much to start, and how much to add each session, therefore you can calculate how much you should lift in X weeks.

i.e. All the full body programs has squats, where you go +5lbs per session. Say Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, or ICF, you squat 3 times a week... If you start at 60lbs, you gain +15lbs per week or +60lbs per month. This hypothetical trainee will be squatting over 2plates (225lbs) by the end of the third month! This is assuming your diet, form, and rest/recovery is on point of course.

If you are in it for the aesthetics, do ICF 5x5 (I personally prefer 3x5, but you can decide).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • PB_92
    Options
    Thank you all!

You have been very helpful. I'm going to follow your tips :smile:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP, you need to look at food that are calorie dense. Take a look at the attached list.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1