Is this even worth it?

Options
Since I've started dieting (not just joining this app) I've watched what I eat, I count my calorie intake, I watch how much sugar, salt, fat and protein I eat, I exercise everyday… even if it's just walking for an hour or two. My clothes are too big for me know, but when I look in the mirror I think I look bigger!!! So is it even working?
Plus, I've cut out all junk foods, take-always, alcohol, fizzy drinks, basically all the crap I used to have in my diet, but I'm starving all the time… to the point where I'm feeling physically sick!
I don't talk to my friends and family about it cos they just tell me I'm wasting my time in doing this, once you've gained you'll never loose it ect (that's just the way they think tbh)

Does anyone else feel like they're starving even though they're eating?

I don't think I'll be doing this much longer if this is how it makes you physically feel

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh yourself and take body measurements? Have they changed? You can't trust the mirror.
    Do you have a reasonable weight loss goal? If you are 50 lbs or less overweight then losing .5- 1 lb a week is reasonable. 2 lbs a week is only reasonable if you are 50+ lbs overweight. 1200 is the minimum reccomended calories per day for women and 1500 for men. With MFP you are supposed to eat some of the calories you earn from exercise.
    You should not be feeling horrible or starving all the time. Eat enough calories to fuel your body. Eat enough protein, fats and fiber to help feel satisfied. Drink water. You don't have to cut out a bunch of foods just consume the right amount of calories for your activity level. Eat in a way you can sustain for life.

I've lost 25 lbs and am 9 lbs from a healthy weight for my height now. It has made a big difference in the quality of my life. I used to be in pain all the time, out of breath, have trouble keeping up with my family. I feel good now. Lots more energy. I am not hungry all the time.
  • SamanthaLouiseMence
    SamanthaLouiseMence Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I need to loose over 50lbs, I haven't been on the scales this week as I'm not at home, I'm away for a mini break with family, at first I was thinking maybe it's because I can smell the foods that they're all eating, which is completely different to what I eat, but it shouldn't be making me feel sick

I don't tend to eat over 1,200 regardless of any exercise I do, but eating just fruit and veg with the odd chicken here and there isn't working for me, I'm gonna have to either find another alternitive or just stop calorie counting I think x
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    1200 should be your NET calorie allotment. If you're exercising and only eating that much, then it's no wonder you're starving. Calorie counting works. It's the basis of ALL weight loss programs regardless of whatever philosophy of eating approach they offer.
    Again, you just have to figure out how to eat foods you actually like and have them fit into your daily intake.................which sounds like it's too low.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    smence wrote: »
    I need to loose over 50lbs, I haven't been on the scales this week as I'm not at home, I'm away for a mini break with family, at first I was thinking maybe it's because I can smell the foods that they're all eating, which is completely different to what I eat, but it shouldn't be making me feel sick

I don't tend to eat over 1,200 regardless of any exercise I do, but eating just fruit and veg with the odd chicken here and there isn't working for me, I'm gonna have to either find another alternitive or just stop calorie counting I think x

No wonder you're ready to give up. You are not eating enough. You need to fuel your body. And I certainly wouldn't listen to anyone that says it's not possible to lose weight. Reach out to people on here. Ninerbuff is a good start, and there are many other successful people who can give you encouragement to make this work for you in a way this sustainable.
  • SamanthaLouiseMence
    Options
    Someone had suggested to me that when if I start to feel hungry between meals then to drink a a couple pints of water and the hunger should go within half an hour… that doesn't sound like something I'd be willing todo tbh… but then again eating more doesn't really sound like it would help loose weight either

However… I think tomorrow I'm going to come at this with a different approach, bring some different foods into it and see if that helps a little bit, because I really want to loose this weight, but I'm not willing to feel sick, horrible and sluggish for it

Thanks guys x
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of good responses to your post but I haven't really seen a true acknowledgement that you understand what others are trying to tell you. I hope I am wrong, and you are not just looking for motivation to move forward on a quest for some type of secret method.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This process can absolutely be worth it, but being hungry to the point of being physically sick is no good. You deserve not to be miserable through all of this!

The first thing I would suggest is resetting your calorie goals. Have you tried rerunning your numbers to see if you can find a goal that works better for you? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • SamanthaLouiseMence
    Options
    I've seen a lot of good responses to your post but I haven't really seen a true acknowledgement that you understand what others are trying to tell you. I hope I am wrong, and you are not just looking for motivation to move forward on a quest for some type of secret method.

I understand what they are saying and no, I'm not looking for motivation for some secret method, this was a genuine question from me and what I posted is 100% true. I posted this to see if anyone else was feeling the way I am because it doesn't seem right to me, there was something off about it
    Now I know that it's not right to feel like that and I intend to take everyone's advice and try some of the things they have said
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options

I understand what they are saying and no, I'm not looking for motivation for some secret method, this was a genuine question from me and what I posted is 100% true. I posted this to see if anyone else was feeling the way I am because it doesn't seem right to me, there was something off about it
    Now I know that it's not right to feel like that and I intend to take everyone's advice and try some of the things they have said

Ok, just making sure.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I'm never hungry, much less starving.
    I've greatly enjoyed the process of finding food nutritionally sound that I enjoy.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this? It doesn't sound like very long to me? Of course, you are going to feel different and so is your body, until you find the right formula.
  • SamanthaLouiseMence
    Options
    How long have you been at this? It doesn't sound like very long to me? Of course, you are going to feel different and so is your body, until you find the right formula.
    I've been dieting for around a month I've only been feeling like this for a few days though
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes to your question about feeling hungry even though I've been eating. This usually only happens when I don't eat a nutrtionally balanced meal ... too low in calories or when the macros are way out of whack.

For example, I will be hungry very shortly if I have a muffin for breakfast but will feel satisfied for hours if I have an egg sandwich instead. Also, if I only eat a raw salad at lunch I will be very hungry in short order even if the salad was full of lettuces, but if I add some tuna fish or a couple ounces of meat to that salad, I will be able to sail through until an early dinner. Also, if I have fruit, I find that I will feel hungry soon after for another piece if I eat the fruit as a snack but not when the fruit is part of a meal.

I have also found that I do better when my meals are generally about the same calorie wise from one meal to the next.

And for your question about is it worth it ... yes it is. I have learned that by logging my food and then used the notes section of the page to write in comments that I was able to better pin-point connections between how I felt and responded to the foods I ate. It made it a more complete diary that I could look back on so I didn't have to resort to my memory, which is not reliable.

As a diabetic, I also use the note section, or have added 'food' to my list that are not about food at all but help me track qucikly without using the notes section ... just more time logging. For example, time of meal, pre-meal blood glucose reading, post-meal blood glucose reading (1 hour or 2 hour). I also log the amount of water/liquid I consume right into my food log. This method has helped me, but it is a lot of logging.

Just one more item .... eat enough food to cover your base needs after you've figured in the exercise calorie expenditure ... some people call that NET calories in. For example, if you eat 1200 calories a day and then exercise hard for 60 minutes, you need to eat some more.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Since I've started dieting (not just joining this app) I've watched what I eat, I count my calorie intake, I watch how much sugar, salt, fat and protein I eat, I exercise everyday… even if it's just walking for an hour or two. My clothes are too big for me know, but when I look in the mirror I think I look bigger!!! So is it even working?
    Plus, I've cut out all junk foods, take-always, alcohol, fizzy drinks, basically all the crap I used to have in my diet, but I'm starving all the time… to the point where I'm feeling physically sick!
    I don't talk to my friends and family about it cos they just tell me I'm wasting my time in doing this, once you've gained you'll never loose it ect (that's just the way they think tbh)

Does anyone else feel like they're starving even though they're eating?

I don't think I'll be doing this much longer if this is how it makes you physically feel

Don't give up! There are changes you can make so you aren't hungry all the time, like eating more fiber or protein. Some people say eating more carbs keeps them fuller, and for others it's fat. Find what works for YOU. In my case, a high fiber, high protein breakfast with some healthful fat keeps me full for the longest time. I can post my favorite breakfast smoothie recipe if you're interested.

Drinking water to combat hunger, as mentioned by your friend, works for me, so it might be worth a try. Eight to 10 ounces (a large glass) does it in my case.

Your clothes are looser so you have proof that something is working. Please note, though, that it might take time for your brain to catch up with your body. Some people find that even after losing weight they still feel fat. That happened to me. I lost about 40 pounds but still felt and saw myself at my starting weight for the longest time.

Hang in there! Be patient with yourself! You've got this!
  • pandorajk
    pandorajk Posts: 5 Member
    Options

It can be very frustrating! I have tried many different things and never found much success. I went to a nutrition doctor who had me increase my protein to 80-100 grams per day. I am a vegetarian so I found this a little overwhelming. I have started using protein shakes (read labels for low fat, sugar, etc). I use JNB confidence with unsweetened almond milk for breakfast and lunch. That's 50 grams of protein and only 340 calories. Then I snack on almonds, hard boiled eggs, fruit, veggies, salad. I then eat a low carb protein dinner. I'm never hungry and have lost 25 lbs. After the first month I lost 15 lbs. I do not feel like I am dieting. If I want to have lunch with a friend, I just drink my shake for dinner instead. I really try to track my calories throughout the day. I also try to save enough for a glass of wine at night because that's what I enjoy. Good luck!
  • apollosm
    apollosm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Someone had suggested to me that when if I start to feel hungry between meals then to drink a a couple pints of water and the hunger should go within half an hour… that doesn't sound like something I'd be willing todo tbh… but then again eating more doesn't really sound like it would help loose weight either

However… I think tomorrow I'm going to come at this with a different approach, bring some different foods into it and see if that helps a little bit, because I really want to loose this weight, but I'm not willing to feel sick, horrible and sluggish for it

Thanks guys x

Your stomach does not know the difference between food and water so drinking lots of water will fill your stomach and tell your brain you are not hungry anymore.
    You still need to keep to a calorie controlled eating (dont think of it as a DIET) but drinking plenty of water will stop you feeling hungry between meals.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    apollosm wrote: »

Thanks guys x

Your stomach does not know the difference between food and water so drinking lots of water will fill your stomach and tell your brain you are not hungry anymore.
    You still need to keep to a calorie controlled eating (dont think of it as a DIET) but drinking plenty of water will stop you feeling hungry between meals.

Unless you truly are hungry from not eating enough
  • MrOtto2016
    MrOtto2016 Posts: 40 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I found that eating a lot of protein works for me. As mentioned before, water is great as a filler. I generally eat a couple of hard boiled eggs in the am which keeps me going until late afternoon. Generally, tuna on a couple of slices of whol