Weighing food

Options
When logging my food for the day should I use pre cooked weight on meats or cooked?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, weigh raw.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The information on your nutrition label is for the raw weight (unless the label specifies otherwise). If you need/want to weigh it after cooking, that's fine. Just be sure you're choosing an accurate and appropriate entry from the database that specifies it's for the cooked weight (ie you wouldn't use a grilled entry if you boiled it, etc)
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Just do it whichever way isn't too onerous for you. I weigh cooked because I'm usually cooking for the family, so the whole of whatever I'm cooking isn't for only me.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Raw whenever possible, but either way just use the correct entry (cooked or raw) and you should be fine.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Be careful though. The database is full of partial entries. I assume the ones with a green tick have been checked by someone, but even they often don't give all the contents.
    I'd say go for uncooked versions, but remember the more you cook the more vitamins you destroy, so make allowances.
    Enjoy!
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The information on your nutrition label is for the raw weight (unless the label specifies otherwise). If you need/want to weigh it after cooking, that's fine. Just be sure you're choosing an accurate and appropriate entry from the database that specifies it's for the cooked weight (ie you wouldn't use a grilled entry if you boiled it, etc)

I've found that's not entirely accurate. Many have entered things like "grilled chicken breast 4oz" then put in the data for 4oz raw.