Newbie strength training questions

Options
I'm so sorry. These are probably some pretty basic questions.

1. I've been avoiding using gloves because I was under the impression that you don't build as much grip strength if you wear them. True? Because I'm starting to get calluses and would rather avoid if possible, but grip strength is high on my priority list.

2. I'm doing Strong Curves right now. Several of the exercises are supposed to be done with high reps (15-20). I'm assuming this is for absolute beginners, so the movement pattern improves before adding load. I'm not a total beginner. Is it ok that I've been adding enough weight to drop down to 5-8 reps once I'm confident I have the form correct? My goal is to maximize strength.

3. The program has you do two days of lifting in a row (workouts A and B), then an active rest day, another two lifting days in a row (workouts A and C), active rest day, total rest day. Are the two sessions in a row detrimental at all? For those unfamiliar with the program, each day consists of a glute dominant exercise, upper body pull, quad dominant exercise, upper body press, hamstring dominant/hip hinge, then a few core things. So I think I'm working similar muscle groups back to back.

4. How critical is a total rest day? I'm lifting 4 days a week, usually with some cardio tacked on the end, 2 days straight cardio, and one day that's supposed to be rest but that I can't manage to actually rest or just do some gentle yoga. I start out thinking I'll just go for a walk and it turns into a run.

Sorry again for the lengthy questions.

Replies

• Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    That weird sunglasses emoji is supposed to be "B" with end parenthesis.
  • Noelani1503
    Options
    Thanks. I read the book but didn't see much addressing my specific questions. For #2, there's an advanced program but I'm not ready for that. I guess I'm trying to find a way to do something in the middle without losing some benefit to going through the whole beginning program that I don't see yet. The last two questions I meant to be more related to general training I guess, and not so much this specific program.

I'll read through the book again if you think there are answers I missed.
  • Noelani1503
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Re gloves, I'd try some and see how you like them / how effective they are.

As to your questions about the program, I think the starting point is to recognise that strong curves is a well designed, respected, cookie cutter program. As a general proposition it's safe to assume that there's nothing in there that is detrimental for the target audience the program is designed for.

I'm not Bret Contreras, and I've never read the book, so I don't know why he's put high rep work in the program. That said, there's nothing wrong with doing high rep work. If it's too easy, you should increase the weight (while maintaining the same number of reps set out in the program) until it's not easy anymore. Strength training is all about pushing yourself.

I think it's generally accepted that rest days are important. Why do you think you find yourself running instead of resting? Is it a weight loss thing?
  • DTrain351
    DTrain351 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Gloves may actually improve grip strength due to the fact your grip won't slip as much. I think calluses are a fact of life but for me gloves seem to lesson them. Witch hazel will soften calluses for shaving/removal. Stinks but it works. Don't use lifting straps as ur arm strength will suffer in the long run.

I'm not familiar with the book or program u guys are referring to. A rest day may be important but not necessary. Find out what ur body needs as far as nutrition and recuperate rest and run with the program. A break for pain or injury is more important than a "rest" day. As long as ur sleep is good and your nutrition good ur body can take a lot of training!
  • Noelani1503
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    Re gloves, I'd try some and see how you like them / how effective they are.

As to your questions about the program, I think the starting point is to recognise that strong curves is a well designed, respected, cookie cutter program. As a general proposition it's safe to assume that there's nothing in there that is detrimental for the target audience the program is designed for.

I'm not Bret Contreras, and I've never read the book, so I don't know why he's put high rep work in the program. That said, there's nothing wrong with doing high rep work. If it's too easy, you should increase the weight (while maintaining the same number of reps set out in the program) until it's not easy anymore. Strength training is all about pushing yourself.

I think it's generally accepted that rest days are important. Why do you think you find yourself running instead of resting? Is it a weight loss thing?

Thank you. I think that's part of my problem. I chose this program because it targets glutes, and I'm quite quad dominant. I'm trying to even out some weaknesses (at this point glutes, lats, grip) before moving on to something else like stronglifts. The way he talks in the book...I'm not sure I'm his target. But the exercises are great. I just don't feel much of a strain during the bodyweight high rep exercises.

I like intense exercise. I like doing a lot of different things. I generally struggle with taking a full rest when I want to be out doing something unless I'm too busy.
  • Noelani1503
    Options
    DTrain351 wrote: »
    Gloves may actually improve grip strength due to the fact your grip won't slip as much. I think calluses are a fact of life but for me gloves seem to lesson them. Witch hazel will soften calluses for shaving/removal. Stinks but it works. Don't use lifting straps as ur arm strength will suffer in the long run.

I'm not familiar with the book or program u guys are referring to. A rest day may be important but not necessary. Find out what ur body needs as far as nutrition and recuperate rest and run with the program. A break for pain or injury is more important than a "rest" day. As long as ur sleep is good and your nutrition good ur body can take a lot of training!

That's a good point about following my body. Running never makes me sore except my anterior lower legs, which isn't really being hit in my strength program. I should be paying more attention to my body and rest when I'm feeling sore.