Protein

Options
2»

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Interesting video @pbryd good job posting that, thanks!

Wish there was more info though on how to know if you're getting enough protein or not though. There's so many variables to performance in training I think I'd find it hard to know. (I do cardio not lifting)

You can get your nitrogen balance tested. Talk to your doctor, or in some places you can get tested without doctor's orders:
    http://www.walkinlab.com/kidney-tests/urea-nitrogen-24-hour-urine-test.html
    But be aware that UUN is a relatively rough estimate of nitrogen balance, and there are other factors that can affect nitrogen balance besides the amount of protein you eat.
    As Helms said in the video, it may just be best to experiment carefully and pay attention to how your body responds.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    bigd8541 wrote: »
    6'9" 300lbs. What's your protein amount recommendation then?
    Maybe around 200 grams depending on how much LBM you have and your activity level.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »

Wish there was more info though on how to know if you're getting enough protein or not though. There's so many variables to performance in training I think I'd find it hard to know. (I do cardio not lifting)

Be sure to watch the full series 'Peeling Back a Layer' - they're all great.

Totally agree. Eric Helms is outstanding.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

You can get your nitrogen balance tested. Talk to your doctor, or in some places you can get tested without doctor's orders:
    http://www.walkinlab.com/kidney-tests/urea-nitrogen-24-hour-urine-test.html
    But be aware that UUN is a relatively rough estimate of nitrogen balance, and there are other factors that can affect nitrogen balance besides the amount of protein you eat.
    As Helms said in the video, it may just be best to experiment carefully and pay attention to how your body responds.

Just to clarify a bit more with the above, protein is the only nitrogen containing compound in the diet. Nitrogen balance testing can determine whether or not you are gaining or losing nitrogen. As mentioned above there are factors other than dietary protein that can affect nitrogen balance but additionally nitrogen balance is not a tissue specific measure, it's a measure of whole body changes in nitrogen status.