Is there a definitive minimum weight?

Options
This is going to sound a bit dodgy and unsciency.

Does your general person have a minimum weight? A calculation that accounts for height, weight, age, and %bodyfat? So that anything below that is deleterious to health? Does ethnicity come into it?

I know BMI gives a general idea of a healthy weight, but people's muscle weight will vary within those general ranges. I suppose I am asking if a measurement of "underweight" on the BMI scale means your body is actually finding it difficult to cope, or just "might" be finding it difficult to cope. Is there any other general scale, or is it down to a person-by-person basis.

Replies

• NathanielUK
    NathanielUK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I take the BMI with a pinch of salt - I do check it, but as you said it doesnt take in any muscle etc.

It currently reads for me that im "obese" at 266pounds 6ft 2 - I know im OVERWEIGHT but I am very big built and I used to lift heavy so i know my muscle will be involved.

I'm not sure if there is a "Exact" figure for underweight etc. but if you give your stats maybe we can advise?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a definitive minimum weight, just like there probably isn't a definitive maximum weight. Age, height, gender, bone structure, bodyfat %, and a myriad of other things like overall health and wellness, etc. are going to come in to play. Someone with a larger frame is likely to be heavier at the same clothing or measurement size than someone with a delicate frame. Just like someone who is 50% bodyfat at 170 pounds is going to be different than someone at 20% bodyfat at 170 pounds. I think you (general you) have to go by health screenings/bloodwork, how you look and how you feel to determine if you're underweight to a detrimental degree.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Cheers. My stats won't help, but here you are: 46yo woman, 58kg, 167cm, bf24%.

I think BMI is a good rule of thumb but I recognise that it doesn't tell the real story if someone is very muscular.

Is there a scale, that takes musculature into account, that indicates when someone's weight is so low that they are probably getting sick?

I have just read this back and if this is a potentially threatening topic then please say so and we will drop it.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    When you look in the mirror and you dont look healthy because you are skin and bones.

Personally im at my lowest weight within a few pounds.
    I still look good but i'm getting skinny and I dont want that.
    Muscle is metabolic currency!
    September I step into the lab and conduct science experiments involving food and weight lifting so we will see.

IMO if you are between 17-20% body fat, go on a lean bulk cycle and add muscle.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    When you look in the mirror and you dont look healthy because you are skin and bones.

Personally im at my lowest weight within a few pounds.
    I still look good but i'm getting skinny and I dont want that.
    Muscle is metabolic currency!
    September I step into the lab and conduct science experiments involving food and weight lifting so we will see.

IMO if you are between 17-20% body fat, go on a lean bulk cycle and add muscle.

I understand that the more muscle one has as a proportion of their weight the more calories they will consume to support their body.

I am 24% body fat and am quite happy. Not quite sure why I should try to add muscle.

We digress.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound a bit dodgy and unsciency.

Does your general person have a minimum weight? A calculation that accounts for height, weight, age, and %bodyfat? So that anything below that is deleterious to health? Does ethnicity come into it?

I know BMI gives a general idea of a healthy weight, but people's muscle weight will vary within those general ranges. I suppose I am asking if a measurement of "underweight" on the BMI scale means your body is actually finding it difficult to cope, or just "might" be finding it difficult to cope. Is there any other general scale, or is it down to a person-by-person basis.

I don't think you can really put a number out there and say this is too low, same for the higher end. I know for me (F, 23, 5'4") at one point I was at my lowest weight, 135 lb, and that was bordering on too low. You could count my ribs, my hip bones stuck out and the majority of people who saw me (including the doctor) were like you need to gain about 5 lbs. 140 is perfect for me as far as looks go but i feel best around 145. But my frame is the size of a medium male according to bone measurements and I have more muscle than the average female as well. My sister is 140 at 5'8" and she is perfect for her structure! So I really think trying to put a specific number is pointless!