Mostly Beans and Rice Diet

Options
svel713
svel713 Posts: 141 Member
I'd like to know the effects of eating a beans and rice diet over a lifetime. The meal would consist of these ingredients 4 of 5 days a week:
  • pinto beans ($6 for 10lbs bag)
  • white rice ($9 for 25lb bag)
  • ground beef (80/20, 2.5oz per day max)
  • beef bouillon
  • garlic
  • white onion
  • red/yellow/orange peppers
  • spices

Other items in the diet would include:
  • black coffee
  • tea
  • creamer
  • fresh fruit/vegetables (that are on sale that week)
  • chicken drumsticks/thighs/wings (often on sale)
  • daily multivitamin + an iron supplement because I may be anemic

I've already lost weight and am maintaining, so I'm not doing this for weight loss. I'm doing this to save money. I've cut everywhere else possible and food is the only place left. But at the same time, I don't want to suffer from malnutrition, which would cause higher medical bills in the long run.

My month's cost for food for two people has been $434.83 for May, which is between the $385.50 (Thrifty) and $494.10 (Low Cost) food plans as noted by the USDA for April 2016. I feel like I could go much lower than the Thrifty plan with beans and rice.

So would a diet like this work safely forever? If not, is there anything cheaper that's safe?

Replies

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I would be picking any diet to live on forever... but you don't have a bad variety there.
    You have several different sources of protein, some carbs, you're adding a variety of fruit and veggies. I guess you'd get a bit of fat from the meat, though I'd maybe add some oil or nuts (based on what's on special from time to time). I don't know what's in creamer (it's not a thing in Australia), personally I'd replace that with full fat milk - long life home brand milk is very cheap in my area.

My understanding is that the best thing you can do for your health is eat a variety of foods (especially things like fruit and veg) to get a variety of nutrients. I think using your general idea and changing up the kind of beans, meat, veg, grains etc depending on what's on special each time sounds pretty good to me.
    I suspect there are many people in the world getting by on a whole lot less variety.

You will also find some great budget eating blogs if you have a hunt on line - google budgetbytes, cooking on a bootstrap, good and cheap recipes.

And if it's an option in your area, get creative and see if there are any other ways to get good food cheap - community gardens (in some place you can work there and get some produce for free), markets at closing time, food co-ops or community programs.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I would not take the extra iron pill.
    It can be dangerous - google it.
    Your multivitamin may have plenty of iron in it.
    Why do you think you are deficient in iron. It could be many other things.

• skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I would definitely ask your doctor about anything that's a lifetime change. It does look like you'll be switching up your fruit and vegetables weekly, which will give you as much variety as anyone else gets for fruit and veg. You're also only eating whole foods, which is probably good for a diet that will be limited as to variety. The 3 possible holes I see are whole grains, dairy, and fats, but I'm sure a doctor could offer a better analysis.

Bananas, potatoes and eggs are often cheap (I've seen folks on here who get eggs for 67 cents a dozen at discount stores). Eggs can be eaten a variety of ways for breakfast, added to rice for stir frys, hard-boiled for snacks...

Larger containers of yogurt (choose the kind with live active cultures) are cheaper than individual portions. You could add this several times a week for some dairy/probiotics. You could also add 2% milk. I know not everyone eats dairy, but I didn't see that you had a restriction on dairy.

I'd supplement the diet with oats or whole grain bread, and I'd probably try to rotate between different types of beans and lentils for the vegetable-based protein.

I'd look to adding plant-based oils.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    This diet would "work" only if the portions and associated calories put you in a calorie deficit.
    Overall, it looks like a pretty good mix of macronutrients. Maybe add a little lean protein if it's on sale (chicken breast, pork tenderloin)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    This looks good to me. We have been through years of low income with beans and rice as the staples. I would add eggs to your list, though, canned tomatoes and occasional canned salmon or tuna, and keep on hand in pantry, for flavorings - you wouldn't use all of them all the time, but having these gives you a lot of options for doing things with beans - if it takes you 8 weeks to use each of these up, buy one of them every week as a rotation:

Olive oil
    Olives
    Spices
    Chili paste of some sort
    Curry paste or spices to make curry
    Canned Coconut Milk
    Butter
    Miso

If you are anemic, cooked greens and clams are the best foods for getting iron up. I would worry more about calcium than iron with the beans and rice beans and rice beans and rice, but am not sure how much dietary calcium has to do with calcium in bones. I do know from experience that dietary iron raises hemoglobin.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    This diet would "work" only if the portions and associated calories put you in a calorie deficit.
    Overall, it looks like a pretty good mix of macronutrients. Maybe add a little lean protein if it's on sale (chicken breast, pork tenderloin)

Since OP is maintaining and not doing this for weight loss, it would not "work" if the portions and associated calories put the OP in a calorie deficit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You are unlikely to suffer malnutrition with this diet. Beans are very nutrient dense.

They and beef are also good sources of iron so you'd be wise to ditch the iron supplement unless a Dr. prescribes it. thinking you "might be anemic" is not a reason to take an iron supplement. Too much iron can be just as dangerous as too little.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Looks awesome!
    Protein from beans and chicken, fresh fruits and veggies w vitamins and nutrients, looks good to me!
    Once and a while I would add eggs and yogurt.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Now that's planning ahead! Wouldn't you get tired of all that rice and beans though? Lots of good foods around.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Seems healthy enough but a bit boring. I manage to feed 3 of us, including a 17 yo boy for just at or under the thrifty level. I try to match up coupons with sales (but I don't do coupons in a big way. Most trips include a few coupons, not huge amounts). I shop primarily at Aldi, which has some really great prices, but doesn't take coupons. I fill in with trips to other stores. I look for marked down items. For marked down meat, I either change plans to eat it soon or I put it in the freezer for later. Most of our bread comes from the clearance rack.
    In the past month, we had an extra person, our 20 yo son for 10 days as well. We eat fairly well I think - in the past month we've had ribs, chicken, pork chops, stuffed shells, sausage pie. Eggs and bacon for breakfast often, sandwiches, fruit and yogurt for lunch.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you have space, you can make plans to grow vegetables that work in your region: cucumbers, carrots, green beans, zucchini
    You can also grow herbs in pots.
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Apart from a lack of dairy it seems quite balanced.

With regard to "may be anaemic" get a blood test. I nearly lost my wife due to anaemia and complications so it's worth checking. The symptoms can be lots of other things too though.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Spike_G wrote: »

With regard to "may be anaemic" get a blood test. I nearly lost my wife due to anaemia and complications so it's worth checking. The symptoms can be lots of other things too though.

you can have a balanced diet and eat 0 dairy.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Spike_G wrote: »

you can have a balanced diet and eat 0 dairy.

I agree calcium is in other foods but you'd need a greater variety than this and even then it can be hard. I know I sometimes show up low on my labs in calcium but generally I do not drink milk(lactose intolerant) even nut milks, eat a little cheese and the occasional ice cream which I promptly quit for a long while after the tummy aches and gas. LOL We are the only mammal that consumes milk past infancy. lol Other mammals do just fine with nutrition without dairy. However if you aren't lactose intolerant and enjoy the taste go for it.

• ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    svel713 wrote: »
    I'd like to know the effects of eating a beans and rice diet over a lifetime. The meal would consist of these ingredients 4 of 5 days a week:
    • pinto beans ($6 for 10lbs bag)
    • white rice ($9 for 25lb bag)
    • ground beef (80/20, 2.5oz per day max)
    • beef bouillon
    • garlic
    • white onion
    • red/yellow/orange peppers
    • spices

Other items in the diet would include:
    • black coffee
    • tea
    • creamer
    • fresh fruit/vegetables (that are on sale that week)
    • chicken drumsticks/thighs/wings (often on sale)
    • daily multivitamin + an iron supplement because I may be anemic

I've already lost weight and am maintaining, so I'm not doing this for weight loss. I'm doing this to save money. I've cut everywhere else possible and food is the only place left. But at the same time, I don't want to suffer from malnutrition, which would cause higher medical bills in the long run.

My month's cost for food for two people has been $434.83 for May, which is between the $385.50 (Thrifty) and $494.10 (Low Cost) food plans as noted by the USDA for April 2016. I feel like I could go much lower than the Thrifty plan with beans and rice.

So would a diet like this work safely forever? If not, is there anything cheaper that's safe?

I'm sure it will be nutritionally sound enough depending on the quantity of veggies/fruit. But why would you consider it a "forever" diet? Long term sure but forever is a long time things change. If its all for thrifty reasons that might pass one day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Don't restrict unnecessarily. Instead of thinking that you'll eat just some things to save money, look for bargains of everything. A varied diet is your best protection against malnutrition. And you'll keep yourself from getting bored, which in turn WILL make you look for other food, and maybe not the best foods, if you've deprived yourself for some time and maybe are slightly malnourished.

Think in categories: Every day, aim to get in some meat, fish, beans or eggs, some dairy, some fat, some fruit, some non-starchy vegetables, some grains and/or starchy vegetables, a few nuts. Eat it up! And when you've emptied a package of something perishable, buy something else of the same category. You can stock up on pantry and freezer items. Then combine to your liking. Cooking from scratch gives you value for money and freedom of choice. Find easy recipes you like, and rotate them.

I'm not sure what "4 of 5 days a week" was supposed to mean :p but I think it's a good idea to differentiate between weekdays and weekends, ordinary days and special occasions. If you stick to the basics most days, you can afford some degree of splurge - both money- and calorie-wise - now and then, and it will even feel more enjoyable when it's something out of the ordinary and something you can look forward to. It can even improve the nutritional profile of your diet.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict unnecessarily. Instead of thinking that you'll eat just some things to save money, look for bargains of everything. A varied diet is your best protection against malnutrition. And you'll keep yourself from getting bored, which in turn WILL make you look for other food, and maybe not the best foods, if you've deprived yourself for some time and maybe are slightly malnourished.

Think in categories: Every day, aim to get in some meat, fish, beans or eggs, some dairy, some fat, some fruit, some non-starchy vegetables, some grains and/or starchy vegetables, a few nuts. Eat it up! And when you've emptied a package of something perishable, buy something else of the same category. You can stock up on pantry and freezer items. Then combine to your liking. Cooking from scratch gives you value for money and freedom of choice. Find easy recipes you like, and rotate them.

I'm not sure what "4 of 5 days a week" was supposed to mean :p but I think it's a good idea to differentiate between weekdays and weekends, ordinary days and special occasions. If you stick to the basics most days, you can afford some degree of splurge - both money- and calorie-wise - now and then, and it will even feel more enjoyable when it's something out of the ordinary and something you can look forward to. It can even improve the nutritional profile of your diet.

This is great advice