Multivitamins & Food supplement

Do we need to consume multivitamins and food supplement everyday if we combining callorie control with physical exercise? Some people advise me to do that. Please for your suggestion or opinion..thanks. :)

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    You only need to if you're not getting enough from your food, so if you're eating a well balanced diet you should be fine. Obviously if you're deficient in anything (I need to take iron) then you should, but taking them won't help you lose weight any quicker.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    rahmat_hidayat Posts: 62 Member
    Is deficiency corresponding to age? I am 45. I read Charles Eugster's story that he regularly consumes supplement to cover deficiency in his age (now 96).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Is deficiency corresponding to age? I am 45. I read Charles Eugster's story that he regularly consumes supplement to cover deficiency in his age (now 96).

I suggest you sign up for cron-o-meter and log a few days of your food in there. You can see if you're missing a few key components all the time. If so, you can add a multi or other supplement to your regimen.
  • fr33sia12
    edited May 2016
    I don't know where you're from, but in the UK you can get blood tests free to see if you're deficient in anything, in other countries I know you have to pay or have insurance or something, so it all depends on if you can get a blood test or not. That's how I know I'm ok apart from the iron.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    In US if it is not medically necessary and you ask for it, you pay out of pocket.
    I could not even get my Vit D levels tested.

I take a multivitamin because I know I do not eat perfectly every day.
    When dieting it is hard to get all the nutrients in.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    I live in Indonesia. Insurance covers only illness case, including vitamin/supplement for illness recovery. Anyway, I'll try such cron-o-meter.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Is there negative effect if we regularly consume multivit/supplement without deficiency reason or medical recommendation?
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    You only need to if you're not getting enough from your food, so if you're eating a well balanced diet you should be fine. Obviously if you're deficient in anything (I need to take iron) then you should, but taking them won't help you lose weight any quicker.

• fr33sia12
    Is there negative effect if we regularly consume multivit/supplement without deficiency reason or medical recommendation?
    There can be if you take too many vitamins. I'm no expert though, I only go by what I read online, so you maybe best researching it yourself. I get my info here

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-A.aspx
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    There can be if you take too many vitamins. I'm no expert though, I only go by what I read online, so you maybe best researching it yourself. I get my info here

I think unless you go nuts with it the only real negative effect is that you end up peeing them out rather than benefiting from what you paid for.
  • fr33sia12

I think unless you go nuts with it the only real negative effect is that you end up peeing them out rather than benefiting from what you paid for.

Right @extra_medium wasn't sure, this is why I'd rather get all I need from food (apart from the iron which I know I need extra of)
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Sure, I agree and like to fulfill my body from natural foods. However, I am still confuse whether multivit/suplement are recommended due to we perform regular extra axtivities like cardio and strength exercises. I mean there is no medical causes rather than to support extra activities reason.

Right @extra_medium wasn't sure, this is why I'd rather get all I need from food (apart from the iron which I know I need extra of)

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member

there can be other things that cause defiency. I eat a beyond balanced diet AND take supplements and powders ect ect. I still get deficint because i have crohns disease, but yes if a normal person is eating a balanced diet they should be fine.
  • mammaskinny
    mammaskinny Posts: 2 Member
    I am a strong believer in supplements particularly good quality supplements. I believe even with a balanced diet, we are still lacking nutrients and minerals due to the way our food is produced and kept refrigerated for a long period of time particularly fruit and vege.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Based on such reference above limit vitamints in the body can be harmful. They suggest to consume vitamin when necessary only. So now I assume that supplement are required for illness recovery only based on medical advice. However, truly I am not satisfied yet with such assumption, I feel there is sth missing.