Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Need advice!
    5 June – 18 km – furthest distance yet! Saturday will be parkrun, 5km.

I'm wondering if I should try for my first 21.1 km (half marathon) on Sunday.

I feel like I'm ready, but not sure if I'm understandably nervous about it or being wise to think about delaying a week.
    @Orphia B) You asked a Group of Running Addicts if you are ready for a HM.
    The answer is obvious. Yes - Yes - Yes . B) Your 5km time is 2 minutes faster than mine and you have already knocked off 18 km so you know the distance. The last 3.1 km the crowd/fellow runners will carry you. If you are going to do the HM on Sunday I would skip the 5km Park run on Saturday and keep the Legs Fresh. Take a look at the Times from previous years for the event, scale your 18km time out to 21.1 and this will give you an idea where to start. Especially important if it is a smaller event with a mass pack start. You don't want to be to close to the front or right at the back of the pack. I usually start in the middle of the pack as this seems to work for me.

Hahaha, thanks heaps, @juliet3455 ! :smile:

It's not actually an event. I just feel like the time is right to run a HM.

Could you explain a bit further what you mean by "scale your 18km time out to 21.1"?

I ran 18 km in 1:55:38 (6 min 24 sec per km).

Thanks again.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Orphia When I said scale your 18 km out to 21.1km.
    18 km = 1:55:38 + ( 3.1 km x 6:24/km ) = 2:15:?? I did a rough mental estimate - no calculater.
    So my estimate for your first HM is around the 2:15 mark. My first HM was 2:12 and my last one was 1:49 so in a little over a year I knocked 23 minutes off my HM time.
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My goal is 80km!

2nd - 8km
    4th - 5km (parkrun, 26:21) new PB by 1min 35seconds! :smiley:

6th - 4km
    8th - 8km
    9th - 3km My first social run with a friend! We ran faster than I normally do.
    11th - 5km Started enjoying it after 4km. Took my camelbak for my shopping bags and wallet and walked back via the shops, worked well.

13th - 8.5 km (7 slowish, 1 really hard, extra half k to cool off)
    15th - 4km
    17th - 3km (slow hard slog :disappointed: )

20th - 5km
    21st - 8km
    Skipped parkrun last week, if I get another 7km done over Thurs/Friday I'll try and talk a friend into running 5km with me on the weekend to make it up
    23rd - 4km
    24th - 3km. It snowed when I was walking home! So exciting! (only happens once every year or two here)

68.5/80km so far
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @Orphia When I said scale your 18 km out to 21.1km.
    18 km = 1:55:38 + ( 3.1 km x 6:24/km ) = 2:15:?? I did a rough mental estimate - no calculater.
    So my estimate for your first HM is around the 2:15 mark. My first HM was 2:12 and my last one was 1:49 so in a little over a year I knocked 23 minutes off my HM time.

@juliet3455 Ah, I see. Thanks heaps, again! Wow, you've done very well! Very inspiring.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    June Running Totals (miles)
    6/1 – rest day
    6/2 – 6.11 easy
    6/3 – rest day
    6/4 – 7.21 easy with hills
    6/5 – 7.42 easy
    6/6 – rest day
    6/7 – 8.56 easy
    6/8 – rest day
    6/9 – 8.01 easy
    6/10 – rest day
    6/11 – 10.09 with hills and humidity
    6/12 – 6.21 easy with 1 stride
    6/13 – rest day
    6/14 – run squeezed out of schedule
    6/15 – rest day 7.00 group run
    6/16 – 4.02 in 3 pieces
    6/17 – rest day
    6/18 – 4.83 aborted pace run
    6/19 – 8.27 hot and humid
    6/20 – rest day
    6/21 – 7.18 warmup, speed work, cool down
    6/22 – rest day
    6/23 – 9.46 easy

June total to date – 94.37

Nominal Challenge Goal – 100 miles
    Real Goals: Recover from injury to the point where running feels normal again. Stretch goal, recover to the point where I can run at race pace.

Today's notes – 2 miles easy warmup, and looked at the workouts. No way was I doing 1000s at I pace like the 5K workout said. The Boilermaker workout called for 2 miles easy, 20 minutes at T pace, 2 miles easy. I felt healthy enough, but just the idea of 20 minutes at T seemed daunting. Talked to Coach, and he agreed that with my light base recently I probably did enough speed work for the week on Tuesday.

So I set out with a group doing the Boilermaker workout, and let them drop me when they got to the tempo part of the run. Planned to run 7 miles, but missed a turn to a trail on the way back and added almost another half mile figuring out how to get back to where I knew I was. After 7.4 miles, my legs felt heavier than I expected, and I noticed the recovering right leg feels much better running at my natural pace than running slower to stay with someone else. But there is progress. I think I can add back to 5 days next week, but I'll see how it goes.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    06/07 3.1 miles 1st run back enjoyed being back running after over a week kept it short but hilly
    06/08 4.5 miles Joined a running group for the first time lovely bunch of people was a 30 min out and back run and someone stayed with me for the whole of the run.
    06/13 4.8 miles Had my first dip into trail running some lovely routes around where I live now but made the immediate decision that while I enjoyed the run I had to get some trainers more designed for paths as these are going to be a regular occurrence ( as if I needed more of an excuse).
    06/14 1.4 miles
    06/15 3.2 miles
    06/21 3.4 miles Planned to do a longer runs but my legs decided the 2nd loop wasn't an option when it got to the hill
    06/23 4.5 miles A run of 2 halves, first half sucked and had me debating why I was running and wonderering what was the point, second half was amazing and answered the question I was asking myself in the first half, the difference was it chucked it down in the second half and I absolutely loved it stopped avoiding the puddles my feet was soaked through already and just enjoyed the rain not sure I've ever been that soaked on a run, thunderstorm over head had me legging it down the hill full of tree and brought back my enjoyment of running with it.

exercise.png

05/29 Edinburgh half marathon 2:59:05
    10/09 Oxford Vitality half marathon
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    6/1: 5 miles
    6/2: 6.4 miles
    6/3: Rest
    6/4: Lazy
    6/5: 9 miles
    6/6: 5 miles
    6/7: 4 miles
    6/8: 6.5 miles << Wednesday group run
    6/9: 6.4 miles << Thursday PUB RUN!
    6/10: Rest day finally
    6/11: 13.1 << Halfway Half (unofficial)
    6/12: 10 miles
    6/13: 6 miles with Joe2Go crew
    6/14: 6.2 miles << Group runner send off! :'(
    6/15: 5 miles
    6/16: 7 miles
    .......: 6.4 miles << Thursday group run!
    6/17: Long awaited rest day
    6/18: 10.2 miles
    6/19: 16 miles
    6/20: 6 miles
    6/21: Rest day
    6/22: 8 miles
    6/23: 7 miles << Buddy-up'd tempo run
    ........: 6.3 miles << Thursday crew run!
    6/24: Rest day!

Smaller than usual group run last night, and I can't blame the people who didn't show... it was humid as all get out! It was threatening rain all day yesterday, but it never really did rain, so the air felt like breathing water by the evening. Yuck!

I've got a weird spasming muscle on my left shin (on the outside sort of, nearish my ankle, it's weird) though which is putting a damper on things this week. I think I strained it (?), and it just feels weird and weak when I start off running (no issues walking though) and I feel like my leg might give out. And if I can just keep running and not stop at traffic lights, etc. then it goes away after 20-30 minutes usually (sometimes as long as 40 mins though), but after each stop it flares back up again for a quarter mile or so. It's very odd! I think it has something to do with the fact that my legs are crazy tight and need to be foam rolled, and also that I jumped back to regular training mileage relatively quickly after 5 weeks "off" after my marathon. Has anyone else experienced this weird shin/ankle/muscle sensation and/or have any advice to offer? Right now I'm just trying to remember to TLC it and running through it because it's "weird" and not "ouch".

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    7/4: A 4th of July race somewhere!
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Via Marathon (Allentown, PA)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    5 miles this morning and a dog encounter :'( I had gone way further west than normal bc I'm bored with my routes in my small town. They've been working on a subdivision over there on the edge of city limits. I was on an uninhabited street when I saw what I at first thought was a coyote at first glance and freaked out! It immediately started trotting toward me and granted it wasn't growling or jumping but I was very uncomfortable with it approaching me. I quickly realized it had a collar and blue eyes so probably belonged to one of the construction workers. But again, it was approaching me and I felt I couldn't outrun it and continuing to run would encourage it to chase me. So I stopped and put on my biggest scariest persona as possible as a 5ft woman, just screaming NOOOOOO repeatedly at the top of my lungs. It would only retreat momentarily and turn right back at me. Throwing my water bottle at it also did nothing. Geez. The poor dog was probably friendly and thought I was crazy but it seemed to take forever to get it to retreat. And no, no one was rushing to rescue me although I'd just seen people outside around the corner on another street. Now I'm thinking I need pepper spray or an alarm. Because that could've been a coyote :p
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Got a question for our elites (@Stoshew71, @MobyCarp, @Ohhim, etc. - don't be mad if I didn't list you in that group: it's a lot of folks with lots of experience/knowledge):

How do you combine long runs with races (especially 5Ks)? We're getting ready to head into race season, and around here, most of the races I do are 5K (but this would also apply to 10Ks) on Saturday, and that's the day I usually do my long run (aiming at 9-10 miles, maybe more this fall as the weather cools a little).

If I'm gonna run a 5K/10K race, what does that mean for getting in mileage/time on a long run? I really can't move the long run to a different day because of my life schedule, and I'd like to maintain my 35-40 (or more?) miles/week.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @stoshew71 that explains why you didn't have the bottle. She was approved to join I just assumed it was you.

Yup, and I made 3 others as admins in that group. So maybe 1 of them did.

Not me. Be Lenny or Chris. We make a good team!

Speaking of, I put in a request to join the group. It will show up as Lori Gerkin. I am just now figuring out this Strava thing. None of my runs from last week synced for some reason. I don't auto sync my Garmin, so maybe it only goes back one week? Who knows. I hate technology. It's all well and good but when it doesn't do what it's supposed to I get super frustrated. I have no patience!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Got a question for our elites (@Stoshew71, @MobyCarp, @Ohhim, etc. - don't be mad if I didn't list you in that group: it's a lot of folks with lots of experience/knowledge):

How do you combine long runs with races (especially 5Ks)? We're getting ready to head into race season, and around here, most of the races I do are 5K (but this would also apply to 10Ks) on Saturday, and that's the day I usually do my long run (aiming at 9-10 miles, maybe more this fall as the weather cools a little).

If I'm gonna run a 5K/10K race, what does that mean for getting in mileage/time on a long run? I really can't move the long run to a different day because of my life schedule, and I'd like to maintain my 35-40 (or more?) miles/week.

For a 5K race, you get in a 2 or 3 mile warm-up, run your race, then get your extra miles in quickly after the race. 10K you probably don't need as many miles as a warmup.

The other thing you can try to do is time your cutback weeks to coincide with races.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    June 1- 5 miles solo plus 1.2 miles with the puppy. Also yoga.
    June 2- 5 miles hills plus 0.75 miles with the puppy
    June 3- Unplanned rest day
    June 4- 3 mile walk/ run with puppy
    June 5- 11 miles
    June 6- 1mile run with puppy
    June 7-6.4 miles hilly tempo
    June 8-4.3 miles + 0.7 miles with the puppy
    June 9- 3 miles solo+ 1 mile with the puppy
    June 10- 6 miles AM run
    June 11-4 miles
    June 12-9 miles
    June 13-Rest day
    June 14- 6 miles + 1 mile with puppy
    June 15- 5 miles
    June 16-4.5 miles
    June 17- 5 miles
    June 18-5.2 miles
    June 19-12.1 miles
    June 20- Rest day
    June 21- 7 miles fast finish + 0.6 miles with pup
    June 22- 4.5 miles AM run
    June 23- 4.8 miles + 1.1 miles with puppy
    June 24- 4.4 miles 8X1 minute hill sprints-ugh, I hate this workout!

Last night I got lost on my run. In a subdivision none the less. Talk about feeling dumb. After work I took the puppy for a long walk and then a nice little 1 mile run (she did so good!) while my hubby was cutting the grass. I didn't get out for my actual run until almost 9 o'clock and it was getting dark. I decided to run over to the subdivision across the street for a change of scenery. I always get lost in that stupid place. It is just huge houses that all look the same to me, giant piles of bricks on postage stamp lots. I can't tell one street from the next and they all circle through each other, so the names don't help. Since it was dark, I couldn't even figure out what direction I was headed. I was planning on doing a four mile run, but it ended up being 4.8 by the time I figured out how to get outta there.

This morning's run was 8 X 1 minute hill sprints. I hate this workout with a passion. On my last two marathon training cycles, it fell on a morning with freezing rain and the next time on a 96 degree day (I puked when I was done...not good). So in my mind, I was dreading it. Ended up being not so bad. My one minute sprint intervals were up the hill at 6:45-7 minute pace. Heart rate definitely got up there, but I don't think I was close to max. Maybe I will learn to love hill sprints after all.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and good luck to all that are racing!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Rest day today. Skip has 7 on her training plan for tomorrow so I figured I'd take a rest day today since I haven't all week and run tomorrow long with her.

xw51pvzngf7k.jpg

@9voice9 I talk to people all the time that incorporate their long runs into 5K race days. Some will run to the race place, if possible or park a couple miles from the start and do an easy run in and an easy run out afterwards. Of course for a 7 am start that is another Oh Dark 30 morning. I talked to a girl the other day that run in morning, came to the 5K ran it and then right from the finish line continued back out into the office park and run another 5 miles. I would handle it that way.

@greenolivetree I'm glad the dog didn't get to you, honestly people watch your dogs!

@kristinegift I've never had that happen to me, I hope it's nothing and will work itself out

@lporter229 I had to laugh at you getting lost. I do that, heck I got lost here in the office park where I have worked for 9 years. I hate to even tell you that it's truly one big circle with like 3 streets cutting across. LOL

@mobycarp glad you are feeling some progress on that leg

Good luck @stoshew71 and everyone racing this weekend!!
  • HSM2673
    HSM2673 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    6/4 -- 1.71miles -- jog/ walk with Pandora the puppy
    6/5-- rest
    6/6-- 1.5 miles -- jog/ walk on the treadmill (asthma flared up - suck)
    6/7--rest--sick with a cold
    6/8--1.71 miles--jog/ walk with Pan (mostly jogging -yay! a bit wheezy but managed to keep going through it)
    6/9--weights & elliptical
    6/10--2 miles--jog/ walk on treadmill
    6/11--rest day/ dog walking (not counting miles)
    6/13--2 miles--jog/ walk on treadmill
    6/15--1.71 miles--jog/walk with Pan (mostly jogging; very hot & humid at 7pm)
    6/16--1.5 miles--jog/ walk with Pan (mostly jogging; much cooler this evening; knees hurt a bit tho)
    6/17--2.25 miles--RUN/ walk on treadmill
    6/18--resting the knees
    6/19--1.1 miles--did 1 crappy mile on the treadmill when I got a sudden sharp pain under my left knee cap. Tried to run a bit further on it, but pain did not go away. *kitten.*
    6/20--swimming (because knees)
    6/21--nada (because life)
    6/22--zip (life interference again)
    6/23--2.69 miles--walk/penguin shuffle jog around park--knees ok! also stationary bike & 50 minute dog walk (fast pace)

Goal: 20 miles
    Total: 18.17 miles done, 1.83 miles to go
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty Yay for knees feeling better! And yay for getting out there & getting your miles in :smile:
    @greenolivetree I hope your dad recovers well from his surgery. And re: the dog - - it probably was friendly if it didn't exhibit threatening body language. Are you afraid of/ unfamiliar with dogs? If you stop running & just stand there without looking it directly in the eye (which dogs interpret as a challenge) you can see if it just wants to come up to you and say "hi." But yes, some sort of pepper spray or alarm or something is probably a good idea to carry, especially if you might actually encounter a coyote.
    @skippygirlsmom enjoy your rest day!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend, and hang in there/ feel better everyone who is struggling with injuries & post surgery recovery!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »

*cough*

I am not an elite runner. I'm fast for my age, but the elites (and even the leading Masters runners) blow past me like I'm standing still. The over-60 guys are pretty impressed with me, though.

I can't claim to have a single strategy to deal with a race on Saturday, when I normally have my long run. It depends on the nature of the race, where I am in a training program or whether I'm not training for anything specific, and what I want out of the race. With that disclaimer, here's a sampling of how I've coped in a few situations.

Last February, I didn't sign up for any races. That broke a 14 month streak of running a race in every month. But there weren't any races within a reasonable distance that fit with Boston training, and Boston was more important to me. So I coped with the race not fitting with a long run by not running the race. In particular, there was an 8 mile race that I really like, but it fell on a Saturday when I had a 22 mile long run scheduled. I wasn't up to running 8 miles at race pace and still getting 22 total in, so I didn't register.

Sometimes the race itself fits into the plan. Spring Forward 15K is all rolling hills, but net downhill for the first 10K and you have to make the elevation back up in the last 5K. I worked that into the Boston plan with an intention to emulate a workout that called for first running a few miles downhill at MP -10 seconds, then uphill and MP +10 seconds. (It didn't work exactly as planned; I felt so good after running the first 10K slower than 15K race pace that I ended up not slowing down and treating the last 2.3 miles as a race.)

I don't run many 5Ks. When I do, I like to do my warmup as an easy run preview of the entire course. That guaranteed more than 6 miles that day. On one occasion, a 5K fell on a day when I wanted more like 20 miles. Did my preview, ran the race, and then ran a 10-ish mile loop. It came out to around 17 miles total, and that had to be good enough. I didn't have 20 in the legs after running a then-PR 5K as part of the first 7 miles.

On another occasion, I ran a 5K course as a preview, then ran the race, lived with about 7 miles on Saturday, and just shifted my long run to Sunday that weekend.

Bottom line: If you're looking at a long run of 10 to 13 miles, it's not that hard to work more mileage around a 5K or a 10K. If you're looking at a long run more in the 16 to 22 mile range, it's more problematic. It can be tough to run the short race at a true race pace and still be in good enough shape to get in peak long run miles.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Ohhim How do you plan on losing weight? Seriously, I need to drop 10 pounds to get on the upper edge of my racing weight. 115lbs. Prob a target of 20%bf. My scale says I'm 23%, but I look like 25%. (Point for the readers, I have it to lose).

I'm recovering from surgery and can't even walk yet (asap I'm swimming my kitten off). So I figured it'd be a good time to cut the calories. I don't want to compromise healing, so I haven't really done that once my appetite returned. I read Matt Fitzgerald Racing weight. I could eat cleaner.

Just curious, whats YOUR plan? Because I'm obviously missing something.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Early morning run today: 2 miles

So far: 90/115 miles