Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Gaining weight instead of losing weight

I'm fairly new to this but for the first week or two I lost about three pounds but since then I've only gained weight back. I'm still working out 4-5 day's a week and eating healthy most of the time and I always have a calorie defect. Does anyone know why this is and what I can do to get back on track?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    how are you determining you're eating a deficit? do you weigh your food on a digital kitchen scale?

also, it's sorta normal to not lose weight right away if you add a new exercise regime. your muscles store extra water to repair and rebuild, this masks fat loss.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Keep eating at a calorie deficit and have patience...takes time. :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I am going to put out the handy flow chart not because you are in a stall, but because it will give you some checks and balances to use when continuing on with your journey (do you have a food scale, how do you calculate calorie burns from exercise, do you eat them back and what not).

You probably have not lost any fat at this point, but you have lost and regained water weight. You body is making adjustments in less calories eaten, exercise added to the weight loss mix etc.

You will loose or gain water depending on TOM, carbs you eat, glyogen, water needed for muscle repair, sodium and electrolyte balance/hydration.

You need to give this at least 3 - 4 weeks for your body to make necessary adjustments and really "catch on" to this new stuff you are doing to it LOL.

.f8cezuibs69a.jpg
  • Jenna__XoXo
    Jenna__XoXo Posts: 117 Member
    I don't own a food scale but I hope to get one soon, for now I just go by fmp's list even though I know it's not 100% accurate.
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    I don't own a food scale but I hope to get one soon, for now I just go by fmp's list even though I know it's not 100% accurate.

Counting calories is very difficult without a scale. It's very easy to underestimate what you're actually eating (especially with very caloric dense foods such as peanut butter). It's possible you are not in a caloric deficit even if you think you are.

A food scale is very helpful. It's a very wonderful investment for weight loss and you can find some really good digital ones for pretty cheap online.

Good luck! :smile: