Pounds lost but no inches lost. What gives?

Options
I'm at a new low in a weight and only 7 pounds away from my goal weight and in the past three months I've lost 10 pounds but all my clothes fit the same and I haven't lost any inches in my belly and in my opinion look the same. What's going on? I don't get it. I've got pretty bad saddle bags and they just won't budge. The only difference I've noticed since losing these ten pounds is my chest plate and collar bones are more prominent. That's it.
Also I'm female, 5"8' and right now 137 pounds. I've got a really small frame though so I still look pretty chubby. I'm just getting frustrated becuase I don't wanna get any lower then 130 pounds becuase that's on the low end of a healthy bmi and I don't wanna end up being underweight. But this fat won't leave.... And I'm so tired of it.

Replies

• Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    tmarple93 wrote: »
    I'm at a new low in a weight and only 7 pounds away from my goal weight and in the past three months I've lost 10 pounds but all my clothes fit the same and I haven't lost any inches in my belly and in my opinion look the same. What's going on? I don't get it. I've got pretty bad saddle bags and they just won't budge. The only difference I've noticed since losing these ten pounds is my chest plate and collar bones are more prominent. That's it.
    Also I'm female, 5"8' and right now 137 pounds. I've got a really small frame though so I still look pretty chubby. I'm just getting frustrated becuase I don't wanna get any lower then 130 pounds becuase that's on the low end of a healthy bmi and I don't wanna end up being underweight. But this fat won't leave.... And I'm so tired of it.

1. Congrats at reaching your new low weight and being 7lbs away from your goal weight.

2. If you're not taking weekly pictures, I'd recommend doing so (a lot of people like Sunday mornings) this will give you a method of visually seeing your progress. When you see yourself everyday it's harder to see the changes.

I've found that the main areas that hold people back from reaching their goals are associated with Nutrition and Exercise...captain obvious I know. However, every time I analyze someones nutrition and exercise program I always find some fundamental leaks. With that said.

3. What does a typical day of eating look like for you?

4. What does your current exercise program look like?

• tmarple93
    tmarple93 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1500 calories a day and I work a job where I'm really active four to five days a week. I log around 9000 steps from my job alone on days I work. Also on days I'm not working I try to go for a long walk, or do some hiit. I wanna strength train but I have really bad knees and I'm not really sure how to go about it becuase of that. When I try to do any lower body excersices my knees swell really bad and hurt for a few days after. I used to like running but that still makes my knees pretty sore. I'm only 23 but bad knees run in my family. My aunt had a knee replacement at 35 and my mom just had both knee replacements and she's only 52 and I'm just really worried that at the rate I'm going I'm gonna have to get a knee replacement at like 30 lol.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Women tend to lose fat outside in. That means you will see a difference in your arms and legs before you see much of a difference in your core area. You may want to gain muscle by weight lifting or body weight exercises if you don't already. If you are already in a healthy weight range look in to "cutting". I can't give you advice on that because I'm not there yet.
  • Dfoarde
    Dfoarde Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1500 calories a day and I work a job where I'm really active four to five days a week. I log around 9000 steps from my job alone on days I work. Also on days I'm not working I try to go for a long walk, or do some hiit. I wanna strength train but I have really bad knees and I'm not really sure how to go about it becuase of that. When I try to do any lower body excersices my knees swell really bad and hurt for a few days after. I used to like running but that still makes my knees pretty sore. I'm only 23 but bad knees run in my family. My aunt had a knee replacement at 35 and my mom just had both knee replacements and she's only 52 and I'm just really worried that at the rate I'm going I'm gonna have to get a knee replacement at like 30 lol.

Try swimming. Good full body workout and easy on the joints
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I am not near my goal weight yet, but I know when I get there I will still be fat based on my results so far. I am hoping going more strength training in the gym will help, but it would be a full time adventure with mega discipline to get where I would ideally like to be.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I would suggest strength training for body recomposition. My measurements always improve faster even though my weight drops at roughly the same rate when I do regular strength training (in a calorie deficit of course).
  • Longevity100
    Options

Here are some exercises I use with Clients to rehab various knee issues. Every exercise is performed in a pain free range of motion.

Four-Way Straight Leg Raise: 1 round of 15reps each direction (ankle weights added over time)

Terminal Knee Extension (TKE): 1x30reps with light band

Steam Boats : 4 Directions, 10reps each light band

Bridge w/ball squeeze: 2x10

5. Band Walks 15 steps Right/Left 30steps forward/backwards

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    When I'm relatively lean the inches move slowly. The things you mentioned like your collar bone being more noticeable etc, start to really add up and change the way your body looks. At least in my experience.

Also, just strength train. You will see great body composition results.
  • tmarple93
    tmarple93 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Here are some exercises I use with Clients to rehab various knee issues. Every exercise is performed in a pain free range of motion.

Four-Way Straight Leg Raise: 1 round of 15reps each direction (ankle weights added over time)

Terminal Knee Extension (TKE): 1x30reps with light band

Steam Boats : 4 Directions, 10reps each light band

Bridge w/ball squeeze: 2x10

5. Band Walks 15 steps Right/Left 30steps forward/backwards

Let me know if you have any questions.

Wow! Thank you!
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees too and I find Pilates to be more gentle body weight workouts. I've slowly eased myself into regular body weight stuff too and it seems as I get stronger in the legs my knees don't bother me as much.
  • tripple7
    tripple7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've gained 10pounds before and still fit in all my clothes. So probably 10pounds is not a lot to show a difference or change a dress size. When I used to tell my friends I've gained 10pounds throughout the year, they all thought I still looked the same
  • Longevity100
    Options
    I have bad knees too and I find Pilates to be more gentle body weight workouts. I've slowly eased myself into regular body weight stuff too and it seems as I get stronger in the legs my knees don't bother me as much.

Great suggestion, Pilates is excellent!