One year on MFP = 80lb loss (pics)

wbandel
wbandel Posts: 530 Member
First year down, and I’ve seen so many changes. I’m just a lb or two shy of hitting my initial “final goal” and have been able to reassess what that really means. Now I’m aiming to lose 5-10lbs or drop 3-5% body fat. Just rewarded my year’s effort with a HRM and will be buying some dumbbells to start weight lifting at home. I began with cardio, first light walking, then C25K. Aside from that I’ve mostly changed through diet. Which has definitely left me “skinny fat”, which I’m going to be working on.

OneYearFrontampSide_zpsc36b9042.jpg

My motivation for change stems from a blood clot I got in my leg about seven years ago when I was 18. The clot spanned the whole length of my leg, and has left me with valve damage. My circulation isn’t the best and in order to regain functionality in my leg I continually have to push myself to the next level to help my endurance at lower levels of activity. I have to walk fast in order to make it easier to walk slow, jog in order to walk fast, etc.

("Bad leg" shown on right in mirror pic)

4a2053ca-fea5-4bab-9b81-a2eaf485afb7_zps4e9cfc9b.jpg

The injury affected my life in a lot of ways. I handled a lot of the stress from the injury and life in general with comfort foods. It didn’t really seem like a problem, until I got to 247 and my back hurt all the time, I lacked energy, and was constantly going up in clothes sizes. I started thinking, I’m in my mid-twenties, I should be at my prime fitness, not having health issues. I didn’t really do anything until I realized I needed to go up another pants size again, to a 20. I just moved to a new town to start graduate school, I had nothing to do all summer, so I decided, what the heck I’ll try counting calories again (past attempts never worked because I was trying to just log in my notebook). I didn’t have any big dreams about weight loss since I “knew” it wasn’t going to work, but I thought at least I can not buy new pants. In fact I was determined that I would not buy another size larger even if I had to wear pajama pants when the school year started and be embarrassed. I was tired of rewarding my laziness.

So I got the MFP app, since I finally had a smart phone. It was super easy to count calories, so I had no excuses this time to quit. Lost 10lbs pretty quickly, and decided why not try jogging again and start the C25K app to see if it would help with my leg strength and endurance. Managed to fit back into my jeans and just decided to keep on going. To my surprise I just kept losing weight by sticking with it. I finally felt encouraged enough to make a “final goal” and decided to try to lose all of the weight.

OneYearFullBody_zps7f2f4013.jpg

I’m now in a “healthy” bmi, and weigh less than I have since going through puberty. I’ve always been slightly overweight, so I never thought I could get this small. I do have a larger frame, but not so large as I once thought. My goals for this next year are to work on building muscle and strength and hopefully knocking off fat, not necessarily weight. I’m still at about 28-30% body fat. I can finally jog now, not that slow shuffle thing I called jogging. I no longer limp and my circulation has seen a lot of improvement. I actually can jog faster and longer now than I could prior to my blood clot. Now I’d like to work on decreasing my mile time and sign up for a 5k. My confidence has also improved. Before I hated showing my legs or any skin for that matter. Now I’m not so embarrassed by my “bad” assets. I’m actually kind of proud to show off my leg, even if it’s “damaged”.

d58ca264-4760-47ba-b3ee-9682a0e436e8_zpsf49c1508.jpg

It's hard to see, but that shadow is some muscle coming in.

tl; dr - Lost about 80lbs in a year. I’m 5’11”, SW: 247, CW: 167. Feel free to friend, comment, PM with messages, whatever. Hope this was able to help anyone, and if you’re just starting out thinking a year is forever, it’s really not. It’ll be over before you realize, just keep with it and you’ll get there too. Believe me, I thought I wasn’t one of “those people” who could do it (after all I was a “lazy person” right?), and I’ve come a long ways, you can too. Work hard for yourself, you’re worth it.

OneYearFace_zps1c232703.jpg

And because I love making progress pics, if you couldn't already tell, I made a timeline with every 10lb loss. I highly recommend it for those days where you don't see a change.

4e3ed0c8-dc69-4238-b042-4aaf1cdaed07_zps3ea9422a.jpg

3819ce29-dbff-4e30-afd5-b4cb8dcb596a_zps339a5037.jpg

Replies

• sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Very inspiring! You look amazing!!!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Very very motivational, thanks, and very happy for you!
  • jnagy9886
    jnagy9886 Posts: 48 Member
    When you first started how many days per week did you walk/jog? How many days per week do you run/jog now? you look fantastic!
  • wow, you look great! are you lifting weights too? you look toned.
  • Great job.... Awesome work!!!
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    You look fanTAStic!! I agree about the time passing, a year does seem like forever, but I've been doing this for about 3 months now and it doesn't really seem like that long. A year will be here before I know it! Congrats, you have great committment!
  • kateauch
    kateauch Posts: 195 Member
    Awesome!! Good for you! I'm also 5'11" and it's inspiring to see someone else my height be so successful.

I completely understand the injury motivation as well. Last summer I got in a horseback riding wreck and have significant nerve damage in my back. Working out makes daily living so much easier and comfortable. No pain, no gain!
  • LeopardPrintedLove
    LeopardPrintedLove Posts: 34 Member
    Amazing success story! You look wonderful! You should be so proud of yourself and your accomplishments! Way to up your goals and keep working towards being the most fit you can be. Please make sure you share your future progress, as you truly are an inspiration!
  • shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Very nice job! I love looking at the progress pics. Way to go! :smile:
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    You are amazing! Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Truly inspirational. Congratulations for hitting your goal. Thanks for posting. It certainly helps to motivate some of us when we are ready to give up.
  • DaniDC28
    DaniDC28 Posts: 83 Member
    LOVED your post! ("work hard you're worth it! - love!) Congratulations! You look great! Can you tell me how many calories you have been eating daily?
  • JasminPowerRESET
    JasminPowerRESET Posts: 19 Member
    Congrats!! You look just fabulous!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    You look AMAZING!!!
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    What an inspirational story. Congratulations for fighting through all of the issues to achieve your goal. I'm really interested in seeing how your journey continues, Well done!
  • linkquick
    linkquick Posts: 3 Member
    Amazingly inspiring! Thanks for sharing.
  • LadyQue25
    LadyQue25 Posts: 24 Member
    Simply put.....AMAZING!
  • dentedcan
    dentedcan Posts: 29
    You've done an incredible job! Very inspiring.
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    You look very healthy, but more importantly you sound like you're in a great place mentally. Keep feeling proud of yourself and all you have accomplished. It's clear you're not going to rest on your laurels. Congratulations on a life-changing year!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    When you first started how many days per week did you walk/jog? How many days per week do you run/jog now? you look fantastic!

I started with jogging every other day, then I'd walk the same distance on the other days. As of the last couple weeks, I haven't been jogging because I'm doing a summer class, but once it's over I'll go back to jogging every other day. I usually drop it when I'm in class because I like to do it early in the morning, which just doesn't work with my schedule.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!