... a thin line

Options
sbbhbm
sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
So I am curious, where is the line between confident and egotistical? I get lots of wonderful compliments from my MFPeeps on a daily basis- I'm afraid it's starting to go to my head. I still look in the mirror some days and see that 300 pound woman staring back at me, so a lot of days I just don't have any gauge on what they are seeing. But then there are days when I'll look at my pictures instead of the mirror and say "Heck yeah!!"

I do not want to turn into one of "those" women who get so wrapped up in their looks that they expect you to be as well. But I also get a lot of flack from my friends about having low self-esteem and being too modest. So where is the line? What are your thoughts random strangers? (And my MFPeeps of course!)

Replies

• miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Confident is knowing you're attractive, owning it, and being proud of it. You've worked really hard to get where you are, and you should know that you're smokin' hot, you should embrace it and own it. Egotistical is assuming that your looks are enough, and you don't have to be nice, or interesting, and people will still pay attention to you. I assure you, you don't have to worry about being egotistical. You're amazing inside, and out. And I freakin' :heart: you.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    If your real life friends are telling you that you're still too modest and low self-esteem...then you're not over that line yet.

FWIW, I worry about the same thing. Folks here on MFP will voice things that people in daily life won't. So if you have a smokin' *kitten*, you'll hear about it here, while real life people may think it but not voice it. Just keep a healthy dose of skepticism about yourself, but take the compliments as they are intended. There's no reason it can't be both.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I know I'm attractive. It would be stupid to think otherwise, but it doesn't make me conceited to know that.

I still suffer from my moments of self loathing and can hyper focus on my flaws.... but over all, I know that the picture seen by the public is of an attractive woman. No different that knowing I have red hair, blue eyes and freckles.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Confident is knowing you're attractive, owning it, and being proud of it. You've worked really hard to get where you are, and you should know that you're smokin' hot, you should embrace it and own it. Egotistical is assuming that your looks are enough, and you don't have to be nice, or interesting, and people will still pay attention to you. I assure you, you don't have to worry about being egotistical. You're amazing inside, and out. And I freakin' :heart: you.

^^^ Could not have said it better. You rock FASG!!!!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    A lot of what you're talking about is based on other's perceptions, which really you have no control over. It's more about how you feel about yourself, what you're doing, etc.... and more importantly being self aware \m/
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

pretty much that
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    ...I have red hair, blue eyes and freckles.

How YOU doin?
  • __delete
    __delete Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just don't accept any of the compliments. That's what i do. :)

I'm not here to look pretty, only pick up really heavy things.

And eat as much ice cream as I can before I die. And bacon. Yummy bacon.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    Agree :) Just keep rockin' who you are, you have worked so hard to be the person you are now! You are beautiful inside and out!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I don't think theres a line. Just your attitude. The only difference between confident and egotistical (for me) is rudeness and "above others" attitude.

Confident: some guy asks you out and is hitting on you and creeping you out. You firmly tell him to piss off. That is a confident attitude.

egotistical: some guy is hitting on you, nicely. Bought you a drink etc but you laughed at him while drinking his bought drink and didn't even talked to him for 2 seconds (or thanked him). That is a "I'm too pretty to talk to him" attitude which is egotistical.