Best diet to lose fat: high protein or keto?

Options
Hi. There is so much around about the keto diet that I wonder is it worth it? Does really help you to lose fat or is best a high protein diet? Do you just ajust your macros to be high in fat or protein depending of what diet you follow? Sorry I am a bit lost. Any advice will be grateful.

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Losing weight/fat is a matter of calories in versus calories out :) There is no specific diet to follow, its simple math and science :) Burn more calories than you eat and you will lose weight+fat!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »
    Losing weight/fat is a matter of calories in versus calories out :) There is no specific diet to follow, its simple math and science :) Burn more calories than you eat and you will lose weight+fat!

This. Whichever one you will stick to is the one that will work the best. I lost weight not doing either, just balanced macros and at the right calories.
  • Makingmyselfover
    Makingmyselfover Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the answers! !!
    But is it really the same? There is absolutely no different in i eating 1200 cal of pure protein or of pure carbs? If there is a deficit i will lose weight the same?
    So all this studies that they do about the protein and the fats?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    But is it really the same? There is absolutely no different in i eating 1200 cal of pure protein or of pure carbs? If there is a deficit i will lose weight the same?

Well yes, but there is no need for extremes. A balanced diet with a variety of food sources that gets all of your vitamins and minerals with a reasonable calorie deficit will lose fat as fast as any other diet. All diets require a deficit, how you get there is up to you.
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options

yeah if your goal is to lose weight then you can eat mcdonalds everyday as long as you're in a deficit but I'm assuming you want to lose weight AND be healthy.

Not sure why you're differentiating a high protein diet from a keto diet...Since a keto diet involves high amounts of protein and healthy fats. Keto is good for "re-wiring" your body to use fat as it's primary source of energy instead of carbs. Logically then this method would help in burning fat but I haven't read studies and I'm no nutritionist.

I do a "light" version of a keto diet, I eat less carbs and I replace those calories with fats and proteins. It's helped me shed fat so it may help you.

Ultimately however, it is all about eating healthy and at a small enough deficit to lose weight at a reasonable level.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, no. Speaking in terms of body composition, workout performance and overall health, yes. Comparing extremes (100% protein vs. 100% carbs) is an exercise in futility because neither one is a good idea. It's like asking "should I drive my car 120 mph everywhere I go, or just stay parked all the time?". Neither one is going to reasonably meet your needs. How about something sensible that lies between the two extremes?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    rickyll wrote: »

yeah if your goal is to lose weight then you can eat mcdonalds everyday as long as you're in a deficit but I'm assuming you want to lose weight AND be healthy.

Not sure why you're differentiating a high protein diet from a keto diet...Since a keto diet involves high amounts of protein and healthy fats. Keto is good for "re-wiring" your body to use fat as it's primary source of energy instead of carbs. Logically then this method would help in burning fat but I haven't read studies and I'm no nutritionist.

I do a "light" version of a keto diet, I eat less carbs and I replace those calories with fats and proteins. It's helped me shed fat so it may help you.

Ultimately however, it is all about eating healthy and at a small enough deficit to lose weight at a reasonable level.

Actually, protein can kick you out of ketosis, so keto diets are usually lowish to moderate protein.
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Actually, protein can kick you out of ketosis, so keto diets are usually lowish to moderate protein.

hmm, I was unaware.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

^ Truth. Protein is nearly as insulogenic as carbs.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    5ns3a6gd4u01.jpeg

This is like my favorite chart.
    I eat 60% fat, 35% protein, 5% carb

Everyone's body is different. Lo-carb diets have one good advantage... They keep you full. They are great for helping to maintain lean body mass (much more inportant then just pure numbers off the scale.)

Keto is pretty fat rich. Great if you are just starting on your journey... It may give you a nice weightloss boost as you dump your glyserol reserve (10-12 lbs.)

I lift so I am trying hard to feel my muscles some protein to hold onto them... Maybe build them a little...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    5ns3a6gd4u01.jpeg

Everyone's body is different. Lo-carb diets have one good advantage... They keep you full. They are great for helping to maintain lean body mass (much more inportant then just pure numbers off the scale.)

Keto is pretty fat rich. Great if you are just starting on your journey... It may give you a nice weightloss boost as you dump your glyserol reserve (10-12 lbs.)

I lift so I am trying hard to feel my muscles some protein to hold onto them... Maybe build them a little...

They aren't necessarily great for lean mass maintenance if the low carb diet prevents optimal training performance in the gym.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, no. Speaking in terms of body composition, workout performance and overall health, yes. Comparing extremes (100% protein vs. 100% carbs) is an exercise in futility because neither one is a good idea. It's like asking "should I drive my car 120 mph everywhere I go, or just stay parked all the time?". Neither one is going to reasonably meet your needs. How about something sensible that lies between the two extremes?

I love that analogy! I will def be using that one in the future :)
  • ChristyMCampbell
    ChristyMCampbell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi. There is so much around about the keto diet that I wonder is it worth it? Does really help you to lose fat or is best a high protein diet? Do you just ajust your macros to be high in fat or protein depending of what diet you follow? Sorry I am a bit lost. Any advice will be grateful.

I follow a keto diet and it's made all the difference for me! I started in February with a goal to lose 45 lbs. I'm down 25 so far. Most importantly, my mental focus, energy and inflammation have improved tremendously! My Rheumatologist suggested several months ago to try eliminating grains and sugars from my diet and see how my inflammation responded. I never dreamed my pain could be controlled by what I was putting in my mouth. Every 10 days or so I might have a higher carb meal but, I usually regret it so that's been more and more infrequent. I eat 1200 calories daily consisting of 70% fats, 25% protein and 5% carbs. The fats keep me full so the reduction in calories was easy. Another major perk... when your body taps into fat stores for energy, the cellulite starts disappearing like magic! Good luck on your journey! Lots of opinions out there, just remember it's YOUR journey!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    5ns3a6gd4u01.jpeg

Well, you can eat non-low-carb and still plan your day around meals that keep you full. Satiety doesn't really correlate all that well with whether something is high or low carb, it's more about protein, fiber, energy density, and preference. Baked potatoes, for example, are typically found to be extremely filling while having a macro breakdown that is almost all carbs.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    5ns3a6gd4u01.jpeg

Well, you can eat non-low-carb and still plan your day around meals that keep you full. Satiety doesn't really correlate all that well with whether something is high or low carb, it's more about protein, fiber, energy density, and preference. Baked potatoes, for example, are typically found to be extremely filling while having a macro breakdown that is almost all carbs.

As I said, everyone is different. This person is asking about keto and lo-carb. Your baked potato meal is converted into glyserol at a pace that just does not work in my system. To be quite frank baked potatos are not lo-carb. Pit your baked potato againstan avocado and I will guarantee you a person NOT eating carbs will find it filling for longer.

Different strokes for different body types / metabolic types. Personally I would eat a sweet potato before I put a piece of potato in my mouth.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    5ns3a6gd4u01.jpeg

As I said, everyone is different. This person is asking about keto and lo-carb. Your baked potato meal is converted into glyserol at a pace that just does not work in my system. To be quite frank baked potatos are not lo-carb. Pit your baked potato againstan avocado and I will guarantee you a person NOT eating carbs will find it filling for longer.

Different strokes for different body types / metabolic types. Personally I would eat a sweet potato before I put a piece of potato in my mouth.

White potatoes are generally very high satiety.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7498104/

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,930 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    5ns3a6gd4u01.jpeg

As I said, everyone is different. This person is asking about keto and lo-carb. Your baked potato meal is converted into glyserol at a pace that just does not work in my system. To be quite frank baked potatos are not lo-carb. Pit your baked potato against an avocado and I will guarantee you a person NOT eating carbs will find it filling for longer.

He wasn't saying potatoes were low carb. In fact, he said the opposite.

I don't understand your potato/avocado matchup. Do you mean equal calories of each? Equal weights of each? One standard potato vs one standard avocado?

Now I want a baked potato WITH avocado...