Back pain and exercise

Options
My lower back has been hurting since I painted my kids rooms last weekend and I thought it was getting better. I went jogging yesterday and now it hurts even more. I also did legs yesterday, should I only do upper body today? What can I do to ease the pain? I would really hate to not be able to do anything until it feels better. Thanks.

Replies

• _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out I had a lot of pain in my back. I found that strengthening my core made a huge difference. Yoga really helped, as did planks and pushups. As for easing the pain in the meantime, I'd suggest ibuprofen to reduce inflammation, muscle rubs, and massage. A hot bath or shower helps, too.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above me... my trainer told me that I didn't have a "bad back" I had a ""weak back." Strenghten those muscles every day - they are small in the lower back, so it doesn't take much to fatigue or start to really see some difference. Concentrate on core strengthening. In the meantime - Aleve or Ibuprofen, warmth and ice sessions, lotsa water, and stretching. Good luck!
  • Dort68
    Dort68 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    . my trainer told me that I didn't have a "bad back" I had a ""weak back."

This. Do you have a bad back-a diagnosis of herniations or spinal stenosis or other such thing?

If you don't have a dx, you might just need to strengthen that back as suggested above.
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. No I don't think I have a bad back, I don't know if it's from the repetitive movement of painting the rooms or if I pulled something. I'm in relatively good shape, only 26 and I've been working out consistently for a few years. I agree after reading the posts though that I know my core is my weakest spot so I'll work on tightening that up.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    If you need some suggestions on some stretching or post-workout back recovery, I just gave some advice in the other thread, so I'll copy and paste it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1039844-hurt-back-muscle-help ... Maybe it'll be of some help?