How to rid ground turkey of game flavor

Options
hiyomi
hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
Hi everyone, I've always refrained from buying ground turkey since I had bought it one time and used it to make meat balls and it had a very, I guess all I can describe it as is a game/strong flavory taste. My parents did not like it either. I wanted to know if there are any ways to kill this flavor with certain spices or marinating etc. The way I did it for meatballs was using egg, breadcrumbs, spices, and onion, but the flavor did not appeal to me at all! I would love to incorporate ground turkey into some of my meals if I can just get rid of that flavor! Thanks in advance! The ground turkey I had used was just some brand I found at my local Walmart, so it wasn't fresh ground turkey or anything.

Replies

• rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i'm bumping this cuz I would also like to know!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I use ground beef because of this. I cannot stand ground turkey.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Would you consider just buying ground beef instead?
    I buy 90% lean or better.
    Worth the money.
    I don't like ground turkey either.
  • HuskyGent
    HuskyGent Posts: 32 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    cumin and cilantro, ez game. And yeah, I always go ground beef for my ground game.
  • carolecrews920
    carolecrews920 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    1st day eating clean Ground turkey for dinner cooked wth s&p and garlic powder added 2tbs Prego spaghetti sauce. OMG it was so gamey and texture horrible. I'm not a picky eater and this about did me in !!! Looking forward to answers here
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Lean ground beef has a very similar calorie/macro makeup. If you don't like ground turkey, don't eat it :)
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    As it has, sometimes, ever so often, worked for me, I may, rarely, mix ground turkey and ground beef (> 90% lean). That is if I need some filler meat, other than that, I will use pure (> 90% lean) ground beef the entire time. And it tastes good, too.
  • AMKnight92
    AMKnight92 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Instead of using 100% ground turkey, try 50% ground turkey and 50% lean ground beef. Over time, adjust to 70% ground turkey, 30% lean ground beef, then maybe 100% ground turkey in recipes.

It depends on what you are using the ground turkey in, but spices and sauces can help greatly when cutting the "gamey" taste of turkey. Don't be shy about using them; just add more incrementally as you cook to adjust flavor.

On that note, a generous amount of cumin goes a long way towards adding a "beefy" flavor to turkey (and beans, if you are using them in a dish).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I find ground chicken tastes better and has the "leaner" meat nutritional value that you might be looking for.
  • hiyomi
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm glad to see that many people also feel the same way as I do lol I would prefer ground beef but usually the leanest ground beefs can be pretty pricey >.< This is an issue for me since I only work part time a few days a week lol I've tried out ground pork and my family cooks it pretty often. When it comes down to it, healthiest ground meat/lowest calories, would you guys say lean ground beef or pork? I've never tried ground chicken before! I'm wondering how that tastes now!
  • hiyomi
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Would you consider just buying ground beef instead?
    I buy 90% lean or better.
    Worth the money.
    I don't like ground turkey either.

I love ground beef, but the leanest ones can be pretty pricey, so I usually avoid them ~_~ lol Most of my home cooked meals involve chicken and fish, which are some of the cheaper meats. I can afford ground beef, but usually I buy the less lean ones because of the high prices of lean meats >.< I only work part time a few days a week, rest of the time I'm in university :) My parents opt for ground pork most of the time, and when they buy ground beef, its usually like 73/27 ~_~
  • elphie754
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »
    I'm glad to see that many people also feel the same way as I do lol I would prefer ground beef but usually the leanest ground beefs can be pretty pricey >.< This is an issue for me since I only work part time a few days a week lol I've tried out ground pork and my family cooks it pretty often. When it comes down to it, healthiest ground meat/lowest calories, would you guys say lean ground beef or pork? I've never tried ground chicken before! I'm wondering how that tastes now!

Ground chocked tastes really good to me. I make ground chicken meat loaf, chicken tacos, chicken meat balls etc. I really reccomend trying it. I find it is also fairly inexpensive (my local meat market it is cheaper than ground beef).
  • mlindeman0002
    mlindeman0002 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love getting 99% lean ground turkey, and making meal prep zucchini lasagna with it! Or I will mix it with multigrain medley, peppers, and mix a little marina in with it. I could eat it all day!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Lot of y'all sound like you're scared of fat.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I made turkey burgers for dinner. I used garlic powder, Italian seasoning, goya adobo, diced green peppers, dried onion flakes and black pepper.

The trick is to season your ground turkey and let the seasonings set into the meat in the refrigerator. I have been also know to use lipton onion soup mix in my turkey burgers and have converted the masses.

With ground turkey you must let your seasonings marinate.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Lot of y'all sound like you're scared of fat.

Honestly, I just hate the taste of beef haha. Once in a while, it's okay, but in general, I prefer the taste of ground chicken over ground beef.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »

Let me +1 ground chicken, I think it tastes good. But between beef and pork I prefer beef. I don't really like pork all that much!
    You are missing an ingredient-always put in Parmesan cheese!! Did you try baking the meatballs halfway to done in the oven and then simmering in tomato sauce? I find that the tomato and herbs flavor meatballs very well, although I'm not a fan of ground turkey and haven't made them in a long time! I do make my own sauce and season it myself, my nonna would tan my hide if she knew I used jarred sauce ;)