Spreading workout over the day

Options
belimawr
belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
Hey,

I was curious about the effects of spreading out a workout.

Between commuting and work itself, I spend 14-20 hours away from home and any ability to hit a gym. So I purchased some small equipment that I keep at work, whatever I can do with free weights and such.

The thing is I can't set aside a significant time. The phone rings, other matters needing attending to, whatever. Sometimes I can do some exercises for 5 to 10 minutes, and not get back to it for an hour or more. So say I do a set, then not be able to do a second for quite some time.

I figure any work out is better than none, but is there any detrimental effect in not being able to do a workout continuously, non stop, to some sort completion?

Replies

• healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I spread my workouts too :) Sometimes I do 20 mins of treadmill in the morning , another 10 mins in the afternoon and another 20 at night. If your aim is to lose weight then I dont think it makes any difference as long as you are in a caloric deficit and are burning more calories than you eat :)
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I broke up my workouts when my baby was younger and I saw results from those workouts. You have to do what fits into your day:-)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It's not ideal for improving endurance & stamina. But if that's not a priority for you, it's much like a manual-labor job, with work-rest cycles all day long. No harm in that, right?

Personally i'd have trouble lifting properly at work.. meaning using heavy weight, and doing mostly compound exercises, as opposed isolation movements like bicep curls.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    IIRC, Beachbody sells and markets tapes towards this "I ain't gots no time" phenomena (like 10 Minute Trainer). I've done such workouts and well, they can, too work.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There is no detrimental effect to spreading out your workout. Like you said, it's better than none. Once you get going, you will prob find ways to squeeze in a bit more. Every little bit helps, even if it's not ideal to start with.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You spend 14-20hours daily away from home? Why?
  • BadAssAries
    BadAssAries Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that something Is better than nothing. I will add though that I recently read an article that emphasized the importance of prioritizing your workout. This was an important assertion for me; it mean that if I didn't make the workout a priority then I would have no reason to adhere to making it a part of my life. Ultimately though, you know your priorities and you must do what works best for you.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the delayed reply. Thanks for the info to those who provided it, I'll keep it in mind.