Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lost 50lbs but can't see a difference

Hey everyone,
Recently I have lost 51lbs in four months. I am 5'6 and started at 246lbs and am now down to 195lbs. My issue is I look at myself and feel like I haven't changed at all. Although I have supportive friends and family, I cannot get myself to believe them. Because I feel as if I only know what I really look like and it's not that much different to when I was 50lbs heavier.

My question is when can I expect to see a difference in myself? And has anyone ever experienced this?

Replies

• deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    edited May 2016
    Have you taken before/after pictures? This is fairly normal to feel this way, but if you have some "before" photos you will notice a glaring difference.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Above. Also, looking at an old pair of pants helps. If need be try them on.
  • myfightforfitness
    myfightforfitness Posts: 136 Member
    deceived1 wrote: »
    Have you taken before/after pictures? This is fairly normal to feel this way, but if you have some "before" photos you will notice a glaring difference.
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Have you taken before & after photos? The difference is typically a lot more obvious in photos.

Hey thanks for the response, i have taken pictures, however when I look in the mirror it's like I'm looking at the same 246lbs person. Also the pictures I took before aren't the greatest and don't really show my body so much as I've never been comfortable taking pictures
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I hear ya! I'm down 38 pounds and don't really see it. I took pictures last year, kept a pair of fat jeans, and still wear my old gardening jeans, which are about a size and a half too big.
  • myfightforfitness
    Above. Also, looking at an old pair of pants helps. If need be try them on.

Hi thanks for the response, the funny thing is i can still fit into old tops which is annoying, but I also can fit into a top which is 2-3 sizes smaller. With old jeans I can put them on, but need to use a belt to keep them up. But when I look at myself I look the same
  • myfightforfitness
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I hear ya! I'm down 38 pounds and don't really see it. I took pictures last year, kept a pair of fat jeans, and still wear my old gardening jeans, which are about a size and a half too big.

Congratulations on losing the weight! :)
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    While no where near 50 lbs lost yet (13 so far) I've gotten a crapton of comments and my pants are a size smaller but I myself don't see it.
  • sarahcampos555
    sarahcampos555 Posts: 7 Member
    I support the before and after pictures, they show a lot! Also the fact that you lost weigh is amazing! Congratulations! Also remember you a probably gaining muscle!!! :)
  • myfightforfitness
    mommazach wrote: »
    Start today by taking a selfie... Just a selfie. I noticed my cheeks are smaller. My pants went from a size 18 to a 14 and I look back on the before picture frequently... especially when I feel defeated. I see amazing results because I earned them. Get your head in the right place! You deserve to enjoy the loss of 50lbs. That's a great accomplishment. Congrats on your new body, and keep on going.

Thank you so much I will try that :)
  • myfightforfitness
    I have a distorted body image too. It was one of the factors in regaining the weight I worked very hard to lose in 2013. This time I am going to remind myself that the scale does not lie, even if the mirror does. Did you happen to take measurements before you started losing weight? Objective proof is helpful in staying on track, especially for those of us with distorted body perceptions. I hope this helps a little. Congratulations on the weight loss!

Thanks a lot! I hope I never regain the weight. I haven't taken any measurements, but will start to
  • myfightforfitness
    While no where near 50 lbs lost yet (13 so far) I've gotten a crapton of comments and my pants are a size smaller but I myself don't see it.

Congrats :-D
  • myfightforfitness
    I support the before and after pictures, they show a lot! Also the fact that you lost weigh is amazing! Congratulations! Also remember you a probably gaining muscle!!! :)

Thanks ALOT :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I went from 255 to 175 / sub 7% right now and I still see the fat me. A lot. I can't stress it enough, pictures! Pictures!! PICTURES!!! As a side recommendation, lift your *kitten* off.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    I've lost 65 pounds since February and most days I think I look the same or even fatter if my brain is being particularly kind that day. That is, until I compare pictures. Then I see it, all over my face. Literally.