Protein Supplement

Options
Hi everyone!

So I'm looking to drop about 5 more pounds or so. I am pretty active (I'm on my feet, walk around for about 8-10 hours a day plus a cardio exercise. I have also started lifting weights to attempt to tone up) I eat a mostly vegetarian diet and I know that my protein is low. I've been looking into supplementing with a protein powder but there are so many options and I'm not sure where to start. I've heard that using them can actually cause you to gain weight. I would like to use them for post-workout/breakfast. Any recommendations or advice?

Replies

• whatisthesymbolismhere
    Options
    I'm trying pea protein to boost my lacking protein intake. A 30g serving has 108kcal & 24g of protein. There's no added sugar or sweetener. I found because I add nuts & seeds to my breakfast & smack on them,my fat intake is too high.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The only way they'll cause you to gain weight is the same way any other food will - if they cause you go into a caloric surplus. There's nothing magical or mysterious about protein shakes, they contain calories, macro and micronutrients just like any other food source.

As far as recommendations, I've tried many of them and my favorite is Trutein. Their banana cream and cinnabun flavors are delicious, every bit as much a treat as a protein supplement.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian. My favorite protein shake is Orgain. It's organic plant-based 24 g of protein created by a physician who had cancer that became discouraged with ingredients and protein powders so he created his own. I buy the vanilla Bean and I love the taste plus I can add fruits peanut butter, and cocoa for variety. It is the best protein powder I have ever tried and I've been doing protein shakes for breakfast for the last seven years. I love the simplicity, and the convenience of a breakfast protein shake that packs a good amount of protein to start the day.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Suggestion:
    First try the protein bar of that brand.
    Ex: Walmart has Pure Protein powder. They also have the bar.
    If you can't stand the bar, it's a pretty good chance you can't stand the powder.
    I use Pure Protein on occasion. Not the very best. But inexpensive.
    With the cheaper protein powders, I have to make them with milk.
    I always use a cheap $14 mixer to make them.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You only really need 1g of protein per kg of bodyweight, but I go around 1.6g per kilo. I second Orgain, it's very tasty!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You will only gain if you are consuming a surplus of calories. Protein powders will not directly cause weight gain. The Vega protein powder is pretty good.
  • thatwildgirl
    thatwildgirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What's everyone's preferred Whey protein? Or thoughts on Whey