Margarine and Vegetable Oil

Options
fatty2sixpack
fatty2sixpack Posts: 67 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Will eating margarine and using vegetable oil hinder my attempts at weight loss or should I buy real butter and use olive and coconut oil cuz my family buys them? These products are a bit costly so I need to know if I should worry about this?

Replies

• tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    depends on how many calories you eat! seriously, that's all that matters.
    be careful to weigh all these things (including butter and coconut oil as well) because they have tons of calories! you'll be shocked at how much is in one tablespoon.

edited because grammar.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference from a calorie/weight loss stand point, so buy what you can afford. The only thing I would look out for are trans fats in margarine, I would really try to avoid them. But there should be lots of brands without them out there.
  • 5ophie8all
    5ophie8all Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree to try and avoid trans fats found in spreads and margarines. I now eat only full fat products but in small amounts. The body actually needs 'good' natural fats to help absorb nutrients and metabolise properly - fats provide nutrition that is essential for:

Growth
    Energy
    Brain and other vital organ function
    Metabolism
    Hormone health
    healthy skin, eyes, and bones
    Reproductive health

So what I did was start replacing olive oil with rapeseed oil because yes it is high in saturated fat but it is higher in omega 3 fatty acids. I stopped using vegetable oil as well and now use a lot of coconut oil in cooking and for lots of other things. And yes, full fat butter. The key is in keeping the amount small - but it's worth it for the added taste I think. I also consider avocados a superfood (for me!) and are an amazing source of healthy fat. I often use them to replace butter (on toast for example) to change things up a little. Good luck
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Someday, buy a good teflon pan.
    I learned how to cook eggs without any oils or butter.
    Cuts down those calories by a lot. I can eat more eggs.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I use real butter because it's so much more flavor and it's authentic flavor for the same calories. I end up using less a lot of the time.

Margarine just isn't very good in comparison and the low calorie ones are a 100% waste of calories cuz taste :s

I don't cook in Teflon pans but I do love my ceramic coated skillet. Very little oil is needed and it's non-stick.