Working out post-wisdom teeth

Options
On Friday, I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. I'm still having some swelling on one side and my mom is not a huge fan of me going and working out. I am a horseback rider and my trainer won't even let me ride. I feel fine and am off my pain meds. What are some ideas of some workouts that I could do? I want to stay in shape because I am about to go through rush and also have tryouts coming up. Any advice? I've been told nothing too vigorous.

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to workout. With no disrespect to your mom or trainer, they aren't qualified to dispense workout advice. Neither would a dentist in this situation. I think they're being overly-cautious in case of an accident or mishap, which is noble, but is irrelevant to whether you can work out or not. Only you will be able to make that call. This isn't a broken leg or torn bicep that would require rehab or physical therapy.

If you feel up to it (no pain, headaches, nausea, etc.), then do it. If you experience some discomfort, then stop that particular exercise. If there's an exercise you do that makes you clench your teeth or something, then maybe go with a different option? Your body is pretty resilient. And it's a good communicator - so it'll let you know if you need to stop a particular routine.

Just my $.02. But I would respect your decision to hold off for a few days or so as well.

Good luck!
  • ferrier2010
    Options
    I would actually agree with your mum and trainer, at least wait until the swelling is gone before working out.

I only say this as last year I had a tooth pulled and was told not to do any strenuous exercise until my mouth had healed, I ignored the dentist and played a friendly game of tennis with my Husband, Even though the game wasn’t particularly tough, I managed to dislodge the blood clot that has began to form over where my tooth had been. I eventually had to go back to the dentist and have dissolvable stitches put in to stop the bleeding again – not a pleasant experience and the pain afterwards was horrible :(. It may not happen to you, but just wanted to warn you of what could happen.