Light-headed and winded after deadlifts - am I doing it wrong?

Options
Is it normal to get winded doing deadlifts, or am I doing them wrong?
The past few times I’ve done deadlifts, I’m completely gassed after my last set and have a lot of trouble recovering. And they’re one of the first exercises I do, so I have trouble with the rest of my workout.
For instance, today I did deadlifts (after push press), and couldn’t catch my breath afterwards. I rested for 5 minutes before going over to pull-ups, but was still struggling to catch my breath for the rest of my workout (through pull-ups, plank, and curls). Even after I stretched for 5 minutes, I was still breathing a bit hard and super light-headed on my way back to the locker room.
Is this normal, or am I maybe doing too many reps (making it more of a cardio exercise)? Right now my program calls for 4 sets of 6, and I max out at 120lbs for those reps. Should I try a smaller number of reps at a slightly heavier weight?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are taxing, especially with 4 sets of 6 at a working weight. Do you know what % 120 is of your 1RM?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,531 Member
    Options
    Do you have low blood pressure?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DTrain351
    DTrain351 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are more complex than most people think. They involve a lot of muscle groups. I know a nationally ranked powerlifter. He'll actually get sick and vomit from the exertion sometimes. Getting winded is normal even with good breathing technique. If you can sustain your energy throughout your workout maybe do them last?
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Deadlifts are taxing, especially with 4 sets of 6 at a working weight. Do you know what % 120 is of your 1RM?

Somewhere between 75-80% (havent tested 1RM in about a month)
  • deluxmary2000
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Do you have low blood pressure?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yep. Used to be REALLY low when I was younger, but now it's just on the lower range of average.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have low blood pressure and the same thing happens to me during/after deadlifts...
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Are you working out fasted?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts really take it out of you -- they really should be the last major lift of the day. I have days I come close to blacking out after my max set (partially exertion, partially just reaction to holding the valsalva hard).

Is that 4x6 a ramp, or are you actually doing 4 sets of 6RM lifts? If the latter, it's no wonder you're winded -- the fact you can pull 24 6RM lifts at all makes you some sort of mutant, I think -- a single 1x6 max set after your warm-ups should be plenty if you're lifting for strength.

Also, since you're lifting <135, bar position may be forcing you into starting from more of a squat position, unless you're got the weights up on blocks or you have crossfit or technique plates mounted. Not sure how much that would contribute to being winded, but it certainly makes the lift more difficult.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Winded is normal - I have gotten lightheaded once or twice and didn't like it.
  • deluxmary2000
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Deadlifts really take it out of you -- they really should be the last major lift of the day. I have days I come close to blacking out after my max set (partially exertion, partially just reaction to holding the valsalva hard).

Is that 4x6 a ramp, or are you actually doing 4 sets of 6RM lifts? If the latter, it's no wonder you're winded -- the fact you can pull 24 6RM lifts at all makes you some sort of mutant, I think -- a single 1x6 max set after your warm-ups should be plenty if you're lifting for strength.

Also, since you're lifting <135, bar position may be forcing you into starting from more of a squat position, unless you're got the weights up on blocks or you have crossfit or technique plates mounted. Not sure how much that would contribute to being winded, but it certainly makes the lift more difficult.

I don’t really ramp up since I usually do a dynamic warm-up and another exercise first to get me “warm”. I’m pretty sure 120-lb is my 6RM, or pretty darn close. Maybe I should change that? It seems that everyone else works up to their heaviest sets. But then bar position becomes even more annoying as you point out because my warm-up sets would be a super-small plate, and I’m super tall. Believe me, I’m already DYING to make it up to 135 lbs so I can pull from a slightly higher position. As it is the 35-lb plates (+2.5’s) are a bit low, but I think my form is pretty solid and my back doesn’t ever hurt, so I don’t think it’s a huge deal.
  • deluxmary2000
    Options
    Also, I was doing deadlifts first because I read that you should work larger muscle groups first and move to smaller, but I'm totally open to try doing them last.
  • deluxmary2000
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Are you working out fasted?

Sometimes - depends how hungry I am when I wake up. Usually fasted since I work out at 5 AM, but that hasn't seemed to make a difference.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are breathing right and have enough oxygen in your blood, i do some deep breathing right before pulling, i do a sorta meditation thing with several long deep breaths and getting in tune with my body and mentally focusing on what i'm about to do. And then i take a huge breath of air for each rep.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »

I don’t really ramp up since I usually do a dynamic warm-up and another exercise first to get me “warm”. I’m pretty sure 120-lb is my 6RM, or pretty darn close. Maybe I should change that? It seems that everyone else works up to their heaviest sets. But then bar position becomes even more annoying as you point out because my warm-up sets would be a super-small plate, and I’m super tall. Believe me, I’m already DYING to make it up to 135 lbs so I can pull from a slightly higher position. As it is the 35-lb plates (+2.5’s) are a bit low, but I think my form is pretty solid and my back doesn’t ever hurt, so I don’t think it’s a huge deal.

Not sure where you workout but can you set your barbell on some plates to raise it? There's nothing wrong with doing that. My biggest plates are 25s and I use other plates to raise it all up a bit.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If low blood pressure is a potential issue, hydration becomes more important. Make sure you're not dehydrated or it'll be lower than necessary.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I get very winded on both squats and deadlifts if the weight is heavy regardless of the number of reps. My heart rate will also spike.

I have had low blood pressure and it makes a difference. It also affects me if it's warm. I fainted once after deadlifting; just dropped like a bag of rocks. More typically though, I'll see visual swimmers and dark spots and this is more common when it's warm.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    This same thing happens to me; glad I'm not alone! But I don't have low blood pressure.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, deadlifts are one of the most taxing exercises around. I only do one maximal set on my deadlift days and that's enough for me. I do very little accessory work on deadlift day for the same reason, I'm just wrecked. Usually I'll do a couple sets of volume squats, that's about it. Doing 4 sets at near-max effort would probably bury me.