The struggle is real! (With vegetables)

I have been dieting and exercising and I've become successful. My only issue is working more vegetable into my diet. I'm pretty picky and have a hard time eating them. I'm looking for some creative ways cook veggies. What has worked for you? Thanks!

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Virtually any vegetable is far more delicious than you can imagine (or fear) if you grill or roast them tossed in a little olive oil and some spices. Dont boil the crap out of them, I think even the vegetables get offended by that.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    edited June 2016
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Virtually any vegetable is far more delicious than you can imagine (or fear) if you grill or roast them tossed in a little olive oil and some spices. Dont boil the crap out of them, I think even the vegetables get offended by that.

Yes! Peppers, carrots, mushrooms, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower, zucchini, squash, the list goes on and on. All of these things can be done on the grill. I like to mix up some EVOO and spices, or sometimes EVOO/white balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar/stoneground Dijon mustard/garlic powder, and toss the veggies in this before they go on the grill.

If I can't grill, I like to roast my veggies in S&P and EVOO (I measure about a tablespoon per 3-4 cups of veggies) at 375-400 degrees. Cauliflower and Brussels sprouts roast especially well in the oven. For the sprouts, again, often I'll add some red wine vinegar and good Dijon mustard to the EVOO.

Get on pinterest, put in the name of a vegetable that you like, and about a million recipes with pretty, pretty pictures will come up.

You can also just add a vegetable soup as a side to lunch or dinner. I like split pea or tomato-based soups.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    grilled asparagus is one of my favorite things. it gets charred and crispy a bit. tossed with olive oil, salt, & pepper. Delectable. I also will steam broccoli in the microwave, chop the hell out of it and eat it with diced grilled (or skillet) chicken thighs, mushrooms and shallots. Very tasty if you get the flavors you like, garlic for example. Sometimes, I just eat a salad and call it a day.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    There are also many frozen vegetables which are delicious- look for the" steamables"brand from birdseye. There are so many different types and you won't have to cook much at all. please check the sodium if you have a problem with high blood pressure if not the whole frozen section is fabulous now- and frozen can save money because they won't go bad on you so soon. hope this helps
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I have been dieting and exercising and I've become successful. My only issue is working more vegetable into my diet. I'm pretty picky and have a hard time eating them. I'm looking for some creative ways cook veggies. What has worked for you? Thanks!

Put cheese on them. Everything is good with cheese.