Hard to change old habits

Options
csj522
csj522 Posts: 4 Member
I am used to going to the grocery store and buying enough food to feed an army where I was the army. Now that I am working out and eating in moderation, I can purchase less food. And of course the food I am now eating is more filling. But this week I found myself buying the same physical amounts of the healthy foods. Now here I am with a fridge full of berries and veggies that I didn't eat or take care of. Lesson learned.

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Your freezer can be a big help at times like this. I freeze berries by spreading them out on a sheet pan and then wait till they are frozen then bag them up - that way they dont clump together. Unfortunately, this doesnt work well with strawberries. I freeze anything left over - bean sprouts can be frozen, though they are a bit delicate to handle afterwards! And sometimes the texture changes - I dont freeze potatoes for this reason.

This was a lesson I had to learn too - when my teenaged son moved out!!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    It's a trial and error process, for sure. I hate wasting food so freezing and preserving are good things to learn. As already mentioned, some foods freeze well and other don't. You can always find that kind of info online.

I also use a juicer once a week and juice any produce starting to go bad. Sometimes I'll use the juice right away or I freeze that at times, too. In an ice cube tray so that I can use it in whatever portions I need depending on what I'm using it for.
  • csj522
    csj522 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I don't think to look online for how to store things. I did learn how to finally keep strawberries fresh longer in the fridge by putting paper towel between layers and not to wash them until I use them. Those kinds of things I have to learn and then actually do them.