Cholesterol

Hi all,
I've noticed I'm not getting to 100% of my cholesterol according to the tracker. For example, yesterday I only had 5 grams of cholesterol out of 300. Is this bad?
I know I have high cholesterol genetically but I'm wondering if eating such little cholesterol can be bad rather than good. I'm seeing my doctor next week and will talk to her but was just curious since I noticed the pattern today.
Thanks!!

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    When you say you have high cholesterol is that the total number? What are your individual numbers: LDL, HDL, Tri's. I only ask because over all my cholesterol is high however when broken down by the different parts that make up that number it's perfect.

I don't even track my cholesterol so I can't answer your actual question.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    Don't worry. Cholesterol is so important to the body, it makes it own when a person is even cholesterol free in diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Don't worry. Cholesterol is so important to the body, it makes it own when a person is even cholesterol free in diet.

This ^^ Dietary cholesterol is unnecessary. And with a genetic propensity for high cholesterol, lower is likely better for you.
  • bcattoes
    I only ask because over all my cholesterol is high however when broken down by the different parts that make up that number it's perfect.

Not to hijack the thread, but how is this possible?
  • JustJennie1
    I only ask because over all my cholesterol is high however when broken down by the different parts that make up that number it's perfect.

Because my HDL's are high, my LDL's are acceptable and my tri's and VLDL are in the correct range. All those numbers together make my overall cholesterol number high.

My total number (as of last October) is 209 mg/dl
    HDL: 102 mg/dl
    LDL: 91 mg/dl
    Tri's: 80 mg/dl
    VLDL: 16 mg/dl

Total Cholesterol/HDL is 2.0
    Estimated risk for coronary heart disease: <.05

It's not necessarily the over all cholesterol number that one should focus on but the individual numbers. If you have high cholesterol and your LDL's and VLDL's are high then that's obviously an issue.
  • bcattoes

Because my HDL's are high, my LDL's are acceptable and my tri's and VLDL are in the correct range. All those numbers together make my overall cholesterol number high.

It's not necessarily the over all cholesterol number that one should focus on but the individual numbers. If you have high cholesterol and your LDL's and VLDL's are high then that's obviously an issue.

With those numbers your overall cholesterol would not be 209. It would be 69. Total cholesterol = (LDL + Tri) - HDL
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member

With those numbers your overall cholesterol would not be 209. It would be 69. Total cholesterol = (LDL + Tri) - HDL

No. Total cholesterol is VLDL + HDL + LDL. I'm actually looking at the cholesterol report I just got from my doc. HDL = 67, LDL = 100, VLDL = 14, Triglycerides = 69, Total cholesterol = 181.
  • JustJennie1

Sorry but I just did a Google search and you divide your Tri's by 5 which gives me 16 (VLDL) then add that number, your LDL and your HDL which = 209.
  • bcattoes

Sorry but I just did a Google search and you divide your Tri's by 5 which gives me 16 (VLDL) then add that number, your LDL and your HDL which = 209.

I don't know where you searched, but I've worked in healthcare for 30 years and the calculation has always been (LDL+Tri)-HDL for medical records.
  • JustJennie1
    So then why when I do the calculation the way it said on line I even looked at one site that had a calculator that did it FOR you. All I did was put in my HDL/LDL/Tri numbers) stated the way it has been calculated on my blood work.

I looked at at least 5 different sites who had the same calculation as above.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    I don't know where you searched, but I've worked in healthcare for 30 years and the calculation has always been (LDL+Tri)-HDL for medical records.

That's not how it's recorded in my medical records, or my husband's, or my parents'. That method would seem to make sense, especially in the case of someone like OP with very high HDL, but my medical records use the calculation JustJennie posted.
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63

I also work in healthcare, in medical sales, and honestly I have never seen total cholesterol every calculated like that...ever...

To calculate total cholesterol multiply triglycerides by 0.2

Add that number to HDL and LDL

For example above 0.2 times her tri's (80) come out to 16

16+ 91+102 = 209

that is the only way in any clinic I have ever seen it done and it is the correct way according to...my college textbooks, cleveland clinic, vanderbilt medical center, and every other reputable medical organization in the country
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    SHORT ANSWER: Don't worry about your cholesterol being too low... only if it is too high... too often.