Questions for Runners

Options

1. Why is it so much easier to run on a treadmill, than outside in your local neighborhood?
2. Which is better health wise, to run on treadmill or outside?
3. How do you prevent side stitches from occurring while running?
4. How often do you run?

I have just gotten into running about two weeks ago (only 15 mins of running 2-4 times a week), so I am still new to running & am sorta having some difficulties getting a hang of things.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    1. Treadmill is doing your "thinking" for you in terms of pacing and it's also doing some of the work in terms of your forward momentum. This is why it's tougher to run outdoors.

2. Both are good for your health. Running without a treadmill burns more calories. Both are better than sitting on the couch.

3. I never get side stitches unless I eat 1-2 hours before a run.

4. I run six days a week, but I built up to that over a few months.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I find side stitches more common when I'm getting started running or pushing my self at a tempo pace. What helps me is exhaling when my foot opposite the stitch lands. So I usually get a stitch on my right side so I time my exhales to when my left food lands on the ground.
  • Matthew1971NSW
    Matthew1971NSW Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can't help with the side stitches and I get way too bored on treadmills... :)

Typically I aim to run 2-3 times per week. Life normally limits me to that and it also allows me to rest in between runs, so all good.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Stitch can be caused because you are dehydrated, so try drinking more maybe. The treadmill is the ground moving beneath you but outside, you have to move yourself so it is likely to burn more calories and work your body harder. I found the treadmill so boring that I went outside. There are some good programmes out there like Couch to 5k and even events which are free like parkrun
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Side stitches mean your breathing is to fast and too shallow, take deep controlled breaths when running. I don't run on a treadmill, only outdoors, but my understanding is that it's easier on a treadmill as the pace is constant, the surface you are running on stays flat and even, no wind resistance, plus the treadmill is doing some of the forward momentum for you. I run three times a week.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Side stitches are caused by your diaphragm (the muscle beneath your lungs that allows you to breathe) cramping up. Basically a "Charley horse" of the lung muscles. Muscle cramps can be caused my many things like dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, etc but I think the most likely cause in a newbie runner is that you either are running too hard too fast without a proper gradual warmup, or that you aren't using good technique with the way you are breathing. If you can't take full and relaxed breaths at a fairly consistent pace, then you might need to work on technique or pacing.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    About how much I run, it varies but generally 3ish days per week with at least one of those being a longer run (which for me is something in the 6-9ish mile range... Though if half marathon training those get longer of course). I usually rest from exercising the day after the long run but do other activities on all other non running days (and sometimes on the same day as a short run). I like walking, hiking, yoga, weight training, cycling or swimming depending on current goals. Right now I'm training for a sprint triathlon so cycling and swimming are getting all of my non running attention!

Which is better, treadmill or road? I would say the best is whichever you will do... I could never sustain a running program in treadmill because I can only tolerate it in small doses. I get bored and also love being outside. But others would never run on road because of anxiety about being seen, lack of access to safe running spaces, etc. So do what you can do.

Regarding the fitness benefits, I personally think road is generally better (and more challenging) because it forces you to do all the work of propelling yourself forward and exposes you to the natural element that exist in the world that make running hard... Hills, extreme temps, challenging terrain, etc. If you REALLY want to up the challenge, try going off road (trail running).

That being said, I thing treadmill is a good place to start and build fitness. You might not need the extra challenge of trail running up a mountain in mid summer just yet ha ha. I also find the treadmill a useful tool when I am working on speed. I do intervals with the machine set at higher speeds than my natural pace in order to force me to not slack but to increase cadence and open up my stride...or else go hurling off the back. :) I like the immediate feedback of the treadmill showing my heart rate and pace in front of me (the ones at my gym can read the monitor I wear around my chest).
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The treadmill also absorbs a fair amount of impact, just look at the base of one when someone is running. Outside there are certainly relatively soft surfaces to run on (grass, beaches, etc) but running on pavement can be much more jarring than a treadmill.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Treadmill running is easier because it's propelling you along. Also you don't have the uneven terrain like you do outside. Neither one is better, it's what you personally prefer. I've found I get side stitches when I haven't hydrated properly before the run.

I've actually JUST got back into running (mostly because I have a race on the 12th) but right now I'm running 5 days a week. When the race is done I'm probably going to cut it down to 2-3 days because there's other cardio that I like doing and will be getting back into.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I tend to get off balance on a tread mill. I also find them very boring so I run outside. Outside gives me things to look at and enjoy. Outside also has something I crave, hills! I get a great workout going up hills and pick routes that have them. I like to run 6 days a week but life has been getting in the way lately. I did get out at 4:30 this morning for a seven mile run and so glad I made it. I did get stitches at first but as I built up miles they went away.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @heyitslexi95 All of this ^^^^. Especially the 2 posts from @docbanana2. Lots of my running club friends despise the Dreadmill due to the Static scenery. But if it gets you moving then its a good thing. It's now close to 2 years since I have stepped on a treadmill. Love me the Outdoors especially wilderness bush trails.
    If you are looking for a Challenge come over to the Monthly Running Challenge Group a fun group willing to offer up support and some humorous laughs.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I run MWF on the treadmill at work, and outdoors on weekends, so I do both. I find that there are certain things I like about both. The treadmill allows me to better track my pace and distance, and it's easier on my knees. Outdoors there are more challenges like hills, plus I have lots more things to look at and keep me distracted.

I get the occasional side stich, and when I get them it's a reminder to me to focus on my breathing more. Once I do that, they go away.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I must be the only one finds running outdoors easier than the treadmill! I seem to be able to run faster outside, think it's because there's more to look at and it just inspires me to push that bit harder somehow.

It's the same for me. The treadmill is a grind for me mentally. Plus, without the air flow, I tend to run hot on the treadmill.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I must be the only one finds running outdoors easier than the treadmill! I seem to be able to run faster outside, think it's because there's more to look at and it just inspires me to push that bit harder somehow.

It's the same for me. The treadmill is a grind for me mentally. Plus, without the air flow, I tend to run hot on the treadmill.

I agree. Doing a 10 minute mile outside, for four miles, is my usual semi easy run. Setting a Dreadmill at 10 minute miles seems like a sprint, almost. I don't mind the elliptical so much.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    1. Why is it so much easier to run on a treadmill, than outside in your local neighborhood?

Treadmill is easier because you're not pushing off as hard. It's not as stable as running on solid ground, though most people don't consciously notice it.

3. Which is better health wise, to run on treadmill or outside?

Depends on you. If you have respiratory issues, you might be better off inside. If your stride isn't good on a treadmill (mine's not), you'd be better off not on a treadmill.

5. How do you prevent side stitches from occurring while running?

Maintain steady, deep breathing, not too fast.

7. How often do you run?

Normally, five days a week. Less lately with the storms we've been having. I try to be careful about checking the weather and still have gotten caught out in a thunderstorm.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

For me, outdoors is easier because of the boredom factor of a treadmill.

• b12arr0
    b12arr0 Posts: 55 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    To make the treadmill a little more like running outside, I've found upping the incline up to a 2 helps. I've also found that running outside is more enjoyable. However, the treadmill is great when it's raining, snowing, too hot, etc.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

I agree. Doing a 10 minute mile outside, for four miles, is my usual semi easy run. Setting a Dreadmill at 10 minute miles seems like a sprint, almost. I don't mind the elliptical so much.

+1
    Yesterday I did a nice easy 7:50 pace for 3.5 miles outside. I'd fall off a treadmill trying to do that.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    2. Which is better health wise, to run on treadmill or outside?

Same pace = same healthiness

3. How do you prevent side stitches from occurring while running?

Slow down

4. How often do you run?

7-10 times a week