Am I eating too much salad?

Options
I love healthy salads I eat them by nearly every night. Is that ok or should I chill out on them and eat them a little less? My typical salad:
Iceberg
Red cabbage
Onion
Sliced carrot
Red grapes
Celery
Red chillies
Plum tomatoes
Beetroot
Peppadew peppers
Feta
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Any input would be great

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    As long as your diet is well-rounded nutritionally, it doesn't matter what you eat--it's healthy. I love salads too and eat them fairly often.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I would burn out on this every single day. The problem (could be) making salads unpalatable when you get to maintenance. Wanting to eat anything else besides a salad.

Is this your main dish and do you add protein (other than the feta) ?
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I don't see much protein in there (maybe some from the feta?) but otherwise it looks quite healthy. Lots of brightly colored vegetables will get you a bunch of nutrients. You may want to consider switching out the iceberg lettuce for something like red leaf, green leaf, or romaine lettuce, or spinach, which are a little better from a nutritional standpoint (e.g., romaine has more vitamin A, vitamin K, lutein, and zeaxanthin than iceberg) or just for some variety. You could try adding some chickpeas, nuts, or seeds for a bit of protein. (Or you could get your protein at another meal.)

More power to you, though. I have been a vegetarian for 23 years and I hate salads now because of years of not being offered anything else at catered events and family get-togethers.
  • davidmc826
    davidmc826 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I eat my daily protein intake as well like chicken, pork and beef plus my protein and creatine shakes I just prefer having my salad rather than vegetables. Although I do eat vegetables twice a week along with tuna steaks, mackerel, sweet potato almonds and fruit etc...
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Looks great to me but can u add protein?
    Nuts?; walnuts, almonds, peanuts or pecans
    Boiled eggs?
    Tofu?
    Beans?; chickpeas, black beans or edamame
    Tuna?
    Or yogurt or cottage cheese on the side
    (Salads w hardly any protein don't make me full)
  • davidmc826
    davidmc826 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sorry I should've said I eat lots of protein already I just wanted to know if salad was ok or I should mix it up with veg more often. Just find salads so much easier and quicker to prepare
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Salads are quite filling for me, they have a lot of bulk and few calories. I can eat the exact same meal with and without a salad, if I don't have the salad I want to eat more other food & am hungry all evening!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    It's pretty hard to eat too much salad. As long as your macros are within range, you're good.