Lunch Ideas (trying to stay away from sandwich meat)

Options

Replies

• cmmiller95
    cmmiller95 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lentils and black beans can be a good alternative to antibiotic laden meat. squash and bean stews. we have a vegan in our office, she is always giving me great ideas for meatless days.
  • IHateMyThyroid
    IHateMyThyroid Posts: 23 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Lentils and black beans are very tasty, but fall firmly into the "take hours to cook" category. Same for winter squash, especially if combined with beans. (SO often the case with vegetarian food!)
  • brisadeldesierto
    brisadeldesierto Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lentils and black beans are very tasty, but fall firmly into the "take hours to cook" category. Same for winter squash, especially if combined with beans. (SO often the case with vegetarian food!)

Get a pressure cooker. Literally can cook lentils and black beans in 10 mins, and almost any sort of bean in under 15 if you leave it the night before in water.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I am looking to get something that is easy to make at night that has at least 30-40 grams of protein in it and tastes good to warm up at work. I am allowing myself 500-600 calories for lunch and I want the sodium intake to be low. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. I'm sure there are a million posts like this, but I wanted to make a post :)

•Slow cooker/pressure cooker stuff like stews, roasts, soups usually have enough moisture to re-heat well.
    •If going the boneless/skinless chicken route, you're better off cooking them in liquid (in the slow cooker for instance) and topping them with a sauce (gravy isn't too bad for calories).
    •If cooking skinless chicken or pork chops on the stove, make sure you don't overcook them.
    •Stuff usually fares better if reheating from just the fridge than freezer (the longer microwave time needed for frozen stuff can dry out some portions of the food that heat up faster).

It's easy to quickly sear and then toss an entire half pork loin/club pack of chicken breasts/etc in the slow cooker, add some broth (bouillion + water) and wine. A few hours later, just grab the meat out with slotted spoon/tongs and optionally make some gravy with the leftover liquid and toss in a covered bowl/container in the fridge for the next few days (and/or into freezer bag(s) in the freezer for later than that).
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I bring leftovers, usually, and pack my husband either a bean burrito or an egg salad sandwich.
  • tbduarte1
    tbduarte1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    boil a whole chicken and the meat falls off the bone, mix it with some homemade bbq sauce or other sauce and throw it on a sandwhich. Better than lunchmeat.
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Not fish. Microwaving fish in the office break room is grounds for termination of employment and possibly your life.

A valid point - although I do find that salmon is great to eat cold on a salad (or whatever) - I cook up a big slab at the beginning of the week and incorporate it in various ways throughout the week.
  • michelleg85
    michelleg85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Soup. I love to put a bunch of veggies in the pot, cook with minimal water, add pepper and when it is all done, blend it smooth. So good when reheated and you can add spices for taste. I like to bring healthy crackers or carrott sticks to dip in it too.
  • AntsyAngler
    AntsyAngler Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like to make lentils for a good protein source. I throw some onion and carrot and curry in there, or other spices and veggies. It reheats well and is good with some flat bread or crackers.
  • HotMermaid729
    HotMermaid729 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Not fish. Microwaving fish in the office break room is grounds for termination of employment and possibly your life.

Hahahaha I know right! That goes for hard boiled eggs as well

Every morning my co-worker busts out her hard boiled eggs. Smells the place up. I'd like to stash an open can of tuna in her car where she won't be able to find it. 😆
  • Coconutsfordaze
    Coconutsfordaze Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats make an awesome Lunch & are yummy heated or cold (: my 2 favorite recipes are chocopb & blueberry. Also easy to incorporate a Lot of protein!:
    Chocolate/vanilla protein
    Milk for extra pro/water works too,though
    Quick oats (1/2 cup will do, depends on you and your goals!)
    Tbsp cocoa
    Tbsp dark chocolate chips if you like,
    Pb

Orŕrrrr,

Vanilla protein powd,
    Milk/water
    Oats
    1 cup Blueberries (I use frozen)
    Pinch of Cinnamon/vanilla
    Mix well, sit overnight in closed jar or container, warm up or eat cold. Yumsville (: Lemme know if you Like!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i've been all about the three bean salad lately. keep the sodium low by using frozen green and lima beans and rinsing the canned kidney beans. a big bowl would fit your nutrition criteria. (about 15 oz-20 oz)
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I like to do tuna mixed with avocado instead of mayo on a toasted English muffin. It's tasty, quick and keeps me full longer than other lunch foods.
  • thelittlestella1986
    Options
    Stir frys are always quick and easy and heat up well. Lots of veggies and add whatever meats you want. Also found brown rice cooked in a little broth or stock with veggies chucked in go well with anything. I find sandwiches boring too so always liked making wraps with anything from hummus to guacamole with chicken or halloumi is tasty. Homemade soups are good too and mixed bean salads.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Roast a chicken. Make wraps and sandwiches.

Need to start doing this more or getting a rotisserie chicken than buying unsatisfying frozen meals.
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I’m not trying to be snarky but have you checked Pinterest? There are thousands of lunch & meal prep ideas for exactly this. Maybe you’ll find something you’ll like!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hahahaha I know right! That goes for hard boiled eggs as well

seriously? how can the two compare? I eat boiled eggs daily at the office...

(oops zombie thread)
  • shelleyblake111
    shelleyblake111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    taco salad.... lots of salad, little salsa, little taco meat (chicken or beef), hot sauce/taco sauce... this is my go to.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I eat tuna salad quite a bit. I also roast some chicken breAsts to slice up for sandwiches. I love making quinoa bowls with chicken and this Greek tziki