Last 10 Pounds - I need help to get to 6%

Options
These last 10 pounds have been a nightmare for me to lose. I have been attempting to work out daily (push day, pull day, leg day, yoga, then cardio on other days). I am going to attempt to have a net calorie intake of 1200 and wanted some intake from the community. One thing I have always wondered is if i take in 1200 calories one day and don't exercise (net 1200) and another day eat 2200 calories with 1000 calories of exercises (net 1200) are they the same?

Anyone that has been on that six pack push at that last 10 pounds have any input that would be great!!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's the same.

That being said, I'm not sure what kind of exercise you would do that would come up to 1000 calories. Not sure of your height/weight but it would be difficult. Also, netting 1200 is a bad idea.
  • thechefslc
    thechefslc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    with only 10 lbs to loose, i think you need to eat quite a bit more than 1200 calories a day. The last 10 will be a slow process but once they are off, you will be able to know what you need to eat to keep it off.

You should realign your goals and set it to .5 lbs per week. this should give you about 1500 calories per day to eat. by eating too few calories, you will not be able to loose your remaining weight and your body will hold onto the fat for dear life
  • shellen007
    shellen007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm not sure what kind of exercise you would do that would come up to 1000 calories. Not sure of your height/weight but it would be difficult. Also, netting 1200 is a bad idea.

Exercising 1000 calories in a day isn't that unreasonable. Anybody training to run a marathon or cycle a century would easily blow by that number. It's probably 1.5 hours or so of fairly vigorous/steady exercise (like say playing soccer or full court basketball). I don't understand why you think that would be difficult for the OP?

To the OP, your goal is a challenging one. You might be reaching a point though where cutting intake calories from your diet isn't the solution. Instead, you'll have to focus on exercising more to get a net negative CICO and lose that last 5-10 pounds.

Something to think about: somebody like Michael Phelps eats 12,000 calories a day and yet he's got a sub 10% body fat. Now of course you and I aren't world class swimmers, but it's just an example that cutting calories isn't always the answer.

Good luck.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a six pack now, I doubt you only need to lose 10 lbs to get to six percent body fat. How are you measuring body fat? Also what is your height and weight? Unless you are extremely short, a man should almost never need to go as low as 1200 calories. Most women don't need to go that low...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yep, I can burn 1000 calories a day according to fitbit, but it takes many, many hours to get there.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    shellen007 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what kind of exercise you would do that would come up to 1000 calories. Not sure of your height/weight but it would be difficult. Also, netting 1200 is a bad idea.

Exercising 1000 calories in a day isn't that unreasonable. Anybody training to run a marathon or cycle a century would easily blow by that number. It's probably 1.5 hours or so of fairly vigorous/steady exercise (like say playing soccer or full court basketball). I don't understand why you think that would be difficult for the OP?

I don't believe that many full grown males could train for a marathon, cycle a century, or play 1.5 hours of soccer while netting 1200. That's why I believe it would be difficult. He'd be completely gassed, feel like *kitten*, and quit.
  • shellen007
    Options
    shellen007 wrote: »

I don't believe that many full grown males could train for a marathon, cycle a century, or play 1.5 hours of soccer while netting 1200. That's why I believe it would be difficult. He'd be completely gassed, feel like *kitten*, and quit.

Yah, and how many full grown males are 10 pounds away from being at 6% body fat and are seeking advice for a "six pack push"?

And yes, there are plenty of us guys who can do those things without quitting or feeling miserable :)
  • shellen007
    Options
    ^I should have said "plenty of us guys and women" above. Didn't mean for that to come off as a guys only thing
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I think your measurement of bodyfat is well off! Not to mention that even a sedentary short male should eat 1200 for any prolonged period of time.
    However your understanding of caloric expenditure seems correct
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Up your calories and lift some weights...
  • frankfighter
    frankfighter Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer at a well established club review my lean body mass and fat percent through multiple different tests. I am at 172 and at 160 I will be at 6%. I have been eating around 1800-2100 per day, netting about 1600-1700 calories. Thanks everyone for your posts. (and six pack isn't were I'm stopping, I want an 8 if my body will let me)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer at a well established club review my lean body mass and fat percent through multiple different tests. I am at 172 and at 160 I will be at 6%. I have been eating around 1800-2100 per day, netting about 1600-1700 calories. Thanks everyone for your posts. (and six pack isn't were I'm stopping, I want an 8 if my body will let me)

6 or 8 pack is entirely genetic and can't be created or revealed without surgery if you don't naturally have one.